With all this talk about Playbook 2 seeming to refer to the software update, the issue of the future availability of the 3G/4G version seems to have disappeared. Is this just vapourware, or is there some timeline for its release.

Yes, I've been waiting (not patiently) for the software updates, but also more interested in paying Rogers $10 per month for splitting up my 6 gigs, than having a further battery drain on my Torch (or next Blackberry phone) doing the bridge thing.

Do you think this version will come by Christmas sales season of 2011?

Thanks
    09-30-11 07:53 AM
    I am not sure anyone has heard hide nor hair about a real new PB. Rim is very tight lipped about even OS2. But I'd go with the other reply. Rim is having more than enough trouble getting "version 1" up to snuff and even selling these. I'm not sure that many more folks are out there who would spring for a newer version with 3g/4g capabilities. Could you be onto something - that real 3g would have made it a hit?
    09-30-11 09:58 AM
    Unless something has change the below is still valid.

Tim

Earlier today, Sprint confirmed that it had canceled the WiMax 4G version of RIM’s tablet, the BlackBerry PlayBook. Bad news for those who wanted to scoop one up and even worse news for RIM, a company that just can’t seem to catch a break lately. All hope for a 4G powered PlayBook is not lost however.

RIM has confirmed to us that a 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook is in the works and testing for the device is already under way. Unfortunately, the statement doesn’t say when the device will be coming out or who it might be headed to. AT&T and Verizon would obviously be the likely candidates but you can never rule out MetroPCS.
    09-30-11 10:01 AM
    Harry & BB9700, COOL IT!!!!!
    09-30-11 10:14 AM
    Gee, with all the problems with critics, investors, shareholders and the media, you would think they would have set a target for getting the Blackberry 2 software and the new 3G/4G hardware ready at the same time. They did abandon the 10 inch project, which I thought was a good thing so that they could focus. But to miss Christmas with the 3G/4G model, the critics will just continue to say that it's only worth buying if you have a Blackberry and can use the bridge. It's almost as if they are abandoning non-Blackberry phone users.

If they had launched both the new hardware and software for the Christmas sales period, they would have had people take notice, perhaps they would criticize and say that this is the Playbook that should have been at launch, but at least they will acknowledge that it's a contender for the Galaxy Tab 7", Ipad etc.

Most disheartening. I heard that the Tab 7" is now out. With some regret I think that's the way people should go if they want a 7 inch form factor.
    09-30-11 02:45 PM
    At this point RIM's plans are not entirely clear, but hopefully we will know more in the coming weeks and as the holiday season approaches.

You are NOT the only frustrated one!
    09-30-11 02:57 PM
    At this point RIM's plans are not entirely clear, but hopefully we will know more in the coming weeks and as the holiday season approaches.

You are NOT the only frustrated one!
    But you have a much better demeanor than some of us!
    09-30-11 04:50 PM
    I know hearsay is hearsay... I know, I know, believe me, I know.

I also know I'm a pretty bright guy and am a very good judge of people I deal with, "especially" tech support people after having dealt with over a thousand to date.

When I got my PlayBook last month I spoke with RIM tech support about the limitations of Bridge (attachments etc) and managed to get it escalated to a very senior level.

During the talk, which lasted over an hour and during which we established a nice rapport, he hinted, suggested, and then pretty much emphatically told me that the 4G will be out by Christmas and that all the major carriers will have it.

He said it won't support BES yet, though, and that will require a future software update.

About a week ago, I got another, first-level RIM tech on the phone about something else, and when I asked his thoughts on this, all he said was that there's been increasing buzz about BES being supported sooner than expected.

That's all I'm gonna say about it. I know it's all just rumors. Yet, I think this is for real.

I'm just sayin'.
    10-18-11 04:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD