Someone posted a ROI thread months ago regarding the PB (something to the effect of Does your PB make you money? )...

The PB is a good device that will get better.

Fact: RIM blew the marketing campaign.

Fact: RIM missed communicated deadlines.

Fact: RIM missed expectations.

RIM deserves the albatross it created, fed, and grew.. No doubt about that at all. However, when I see someone with no posting history jump on and start bashing, that warrants a level of suspicion. Of course by now they read this thread and will probably switch their tactics.

Anyhoo, we just need to keep constructively discussing the good and bad of PB in hopes that RIM leadership are listening instead of hearing.
    11-25-11 11:45 AM
    "cuts both ways" I see much more RIM Bashing than unrealistic RIM love on this site.

For now there is a work-around for not having native email and you can come to this site to find a solution. But some posters continually hammer this point to death like it's a technique in their manual for subversion - a propaganda technique.
    I had written a long reply but realized it was turning into another list of lacking playbook features so I deleted it and instead say this:

You are going to get more complainers than lovers on any internet forum. Its the nature of th beast. People don't search out online forums when they are content with a product - usually only when they have problems.

As to the e-mail, work arounds there are, but, in the end, they just arn't as user freindly as native, and even rim has acknowledged it was the big reason their sales faltered.

Up until this latest sale I would not recommend the playbook to someone without a blackberry. At the new price point I have - it's one **** of a machine for $200 - but at the reg $500 price? Anyone without a blackberry would be better served by an androd tab I think.
    11-25-11 11:49 AM
    I'm a light forum user here... I mostly come to read reviews, get ideas and how-tos, get the latest rumours etc.

I do notice a few posters that constantly have negative, or passive aggressive comments on RIM and the Playbook. One that comes to mind is an iPhone user with a Kindle Fire... could be wrong, but I find it odd that someone with no RIM products at all is a regular poster here at Crackberry.
    11-25-11 11:49 AM
    But deRusett, how can BJ get his dramahz? That's all this thread was, a blatant attempt to **** disturb and start trouble.

This kind of thread and behaviour is every bit as bad as the trolls. I wish people would realise that.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    IF!! This was not a BlackBerry site I would be on your side in a heart beat, I am far more forgiving of over the top BlackBerry fanboism(?) on a BlackBerry forum, just like when I am on a Dedicated sports team forum I expect to see over the top glowing reviews of a ultimately crappy goalie, and see far fewer negative reviews, even if they are founded, but on a general sports site, both the ultra negative, and the ultra positive don't really have a place.

This IS crackberry, it is the site for the over excited BlackBerry fans. THAT is what I really wish people would get, there are a few over the top BlackBerry fans that I pretty much ignore, what they have to say because they are drinking Blackberry kool-aid, if they are giving wrong information about BlackBerry products I may step in and correct, that's how it used to be. The negativity only fuels the over the top fanboy to go even further, it's a cycle.

This thread really didn't belong in the PlayBook section, probably would have been better in off topic or in Comments and suggestions, but I do appreciate the article being brought out, just to show the mildest bit of support for the people who have been claiming this for years is happening
    11-25-11 11:51 AM
    Honestly, RIM has done more damage to itself than any competitors could hope to do. Look at their track record.

When I consider the problems RIM has had, and the issues/shortcomings with the PlayBook, everything comes back to RIM's inability to execute a successful product. With a product like this, execution is more than hardware and OS (obviously, the hardware is fine). It's about making developer tools that attract good developers, sales, marketing, etc. I don't think it takes an expert to see that RIM's marketing and sales strategy has stunk, and that has nothing to do with competitive propaganda/sabotage -- RIM is to blame if they can't manage to get their own positive marketing out. And the developer aspect is especially damning -- you can't blame the competition for RIM's utter failure to give developers a solid working native SDK in a timely manner. That's one of many examples where the PlayBook's failing was completely within RIM's control, and had absolutely nothing to do with the competition.
    I will say that your assumptions are wrong. The Native SDK has come out in a short amount of time if you compare relative timelines of other companies. If you going to ignore the head start other companies have had and say they should have had the SDK out even before the product was launched or something to that logic then that would not be very smart business-wise.

As for marketing I'll agree that they really did not market the playbook exactly as they should have. But as for external reviews there is very little and should be very little a company can do to influence the review of a product. That doesn't mean however that Tech blogs and reviews are immune to bias and influence by companies and that's where I think there's a point of contention. Sorry but when you have media attend an Apple conference and, supposed, tech press treat it like a rock idol show along with the "we love you Steve Jobs!' exclamation that raises alarm bells to me that the "hype" is beginning to cloud the independence of the profession.

It would be great if there was true independence and no bias but that's idealistic I suppose.
    Last edited by Houshinto; 11-25-11 at 11:58 AM.
    11-25-11 11:54 AM
    What if I'm really a 53 year old male?! You just blew my mind...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 11:55 AM
    He who smelt it, dealt it blackjack.

This sounds like standard espionage to me. People like to think that business is fair and if you have a good product or service, you will succeed, when it's not true. Businesses fight dirty. Right now, the sharks smell blood from a wounded RIM and they are looking to make the kill.
    That doesn't mean that CrackBerry has to tolerate the dirty tactics in our forums. Take a look at the sudden surge of "analyst opinion" reposts getting spewed into the News/Rumor forum since about April/May. It is neither news nor genuine rumor about RIM products and simply looking at the posting pattern gives it away... Created account and first posts are simply pasted from another site. They rarely post outside the threads they create, except to provide a link back to their threads. This is textbook behavior for professional posters and market manipulators.

Whether it is done to promote the analyst's site and company, bash RIM, or for stock manipulation is unimportant. The simple fact is that our forums are being abused by others for commercial gain. That makes it spam, and with hindsight and recognition of what is happening we should be handling it like any other spam.
    FF22, jafobabe and tstrike34 like this.
    11-25-11 11:55 AM
    When you see someone with just a few posts under their belt putting down RIM, the Playbook and etc. it's really not too hard to figure out what's going on. Or people who have dumped their BB and yet feel compelled to return here and bash. Or people that find competing platforms and just HAVE to post about their superiority, over and over.

Of course you have to wonder about people who are on the forum for just a few months and already have _thousands_ of postings...
    Last edited by DaveTheA; 11-25-11 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Thought of further clever things to say...
    11-25-11 12:05 PM
    I don't think a smear campaign would cause the amount of bad press RIM has gotten. They can take full ownership of that prize.
    A smear campaign would certainly add some nails to the coffin though.
    11-25-11 12:13 PM
    When you see someone with just a few posts under their belt putting down RIM, the Playbook and etc. it's really not too hard to figure out what's going on.

Dint forget the objective other than dissing playbook/promoting other devices is to squelch enthusiasm! but blackjack refuses to be squelched or to have his bulb dimmed!!
    I have had my times when I have had quite enough, plus I spend far too much time in here for nothing. I threatened to leave until OS 2.0 was out - then got harassed because I came back and "broke my promise". If you really want to know who these people are pay attention to those who harass me. They have successfully gotten me banned twice.

Below is clear testimony that it is indeed effectively chasing enthusiasts away - I got a PM from my only "friend" (lol) that I have not seen in here for awhile - below

I'm not a troll or a corporate entity, and not sure I would be considered a moron, though I do get easily confused. I posted my feelings on negitive posters here... -> #273

Thanks so much Kevin!
    As you can see I don't have many posts since joining over a year ago, as I have been reading and learning about my BB products, with the suberb and knowledgeable people on these forums.
    And yes, it has been the negitive posters that have kept me from posting more and getting help with my issues, because I fear the backlash.
    Hopefully the negitive posters will turn into positive helpful posters for all.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-trash-609572/
    Hey chief, my only friend, haven't seen you around in the playbook forums lately you ok?
    If so I had a question about the web apps sticky. - what is the diff between a "web app" and just a website/ I am getting started with dropbox, and downloaded the file from dropbox that obviously wont run on the PB, so what do I do to access a web app? just log in and use the website? What makes this a "web app" I don't get it.

Thanks!
    Hey blackjack! Actually, since I've joined a very active blackberry bbm group dedicated to talk on RIM, Blackberrys and playbook stuff, I really haven't had a need to use the forum as much. I still browse the news and some posts, but nowhere near what I used to. The group allows me to talk real-time to others, not have any trolls, and I still get my playbook and BB fix .

But yeah, on Web Apps = website. I can them apps because they are still applications, only running on the cloud. I'm trying to get people to see beyond whats installed on their devices. But yes, logging in an using the website may be a little more inconvenient but I believe that mobile sites like m.crackberry.com are great "apps", but not in the traditional sense. Progress will be made on the user-friendliness as "webworks" and "Html5" apps are simply websites! The only difference is that they are complied to .bar files to run as normal apps on the pb. The best part is that they are all free, and you have a better selection!

So really its all the same, unless you want to play an app like "Madden 12" or "Dead space" which require all the cpu and gpu power to run smoothly.

I'll still be around the forums sometimes, but with a BB fan group, it makes discussing Blackberry stuff so much more convenient!

Have a good one!

Ross
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-25-11 at 01:06 PM.
    11-25-11 12:15 PM
    I admit it, I'm paid by Betty Crocker to post recipes and desserts.

Have a safe, happy and healthy Thanksgiving whether you celebrate or don't.
    Crap, needed a recipe for Sweet Potato/Pecan Pie.

@blackjack93117. Interesting post. Yeah, if you're here long enough or on any forum, you may start to notice trends. For me, I'm less concerned about the espionage type plots because, the quality of the products by RIM "should" over-shadow the perceived negativity to some or considered to be truth to others. But, I do appreciate you and others being on-point to "out" the "evil-doers" when the rest of us tend to dismiss it as more BS to ignore. Anyway, thanks for posting.
    11-25-11 12:18 PM
    Guaranteed they will be in here trying to start fights to GET THIS THREAD CLOSED DOWN!! and to get enthusiasts such as myself ticked off and banned I am sure I am a primary target as they follow me around like flies.

Our infamous QNX enthusiast shootscores just got pulled down yesterday, but took two with him that were ticking him off and pushing his buttons intentionally. I hope the ban is not too log.

Don't fall for it mods!!
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-25-11 12:20 PM
    .... the quality of the products by RIM "should" over-shadow the perceived negativity to some or considered to be truth to others. But, I do appreciate you and others being on-point to "out" the "evil-doers" when the rest of us tend to dismiss it as more BS to ignore. Anyway, thanks for posting.
    It should but it doesn't - that's what ticks me off - the opposite is true - people come in here to get a first impression of how satisfied users are . When I first come in I was sure I had gotten screwed and was ready to return the thing, but fortunately I stayed around long enough to do some research and found that the hate was unwarranted - that started me getting ticked off at people bad mouthing it unjustifiably - I suspected apple operative all along but was laughed at and ridiculed. When it seemed that the mods were unaware or did not care, I took on the task of fighting them and got banned twice.
    11-25-11 12:24 PM
    Almost all of your points could be used against you blackjack. To echo your own words, many folks here flock to a thread that disses the PlayBook and defend it even in the face of legitimate gripes/concerns or known/documented issues. This stuff goes both ways. Don't pretend to be an angel.
    Again, it goes both ways. I see some people here defend the PlayBook in a blind way that makes me think they must secretly be Jim Balsillie or Mike Lazaridis.
    Right - paid supporters of RIM flock to a RIM fan site to express support of RIM devices.

Your logic is crap.
    11-25-11 12:26 PM
    There seems to be a inordinant amount of negative, nonsensical posts in these forums. So much so now I ignore all posts that are negative since the majority seem baseless and inflammatory.

For the people who constantly make negative-Rim or pro-other company posts I really really hope someone is paying you because it would be sad for you if they werent.
    11-25-11 12:30 PM
    I know what you mean, and I agree with your suspicions 100%. I personally believe certain companies (especially one in particular) has a payroll full of employees working non stop to slander, discredit, and deface the products and owners of products of it's rival competition. People who are paid to go to Engadget, The Verge, Crackberry, etc to professionally troll, to try and subtly manipulate "en masse" anyone they can into loving their product and hating competition's product and it's fan-base, all while doing so under the radar.
    This has been true for as long as there have been forums and blogs.
    11-25-11 12:32 PM
    When you see someone with just a few posts under their belt putting down RIM, the Playbook and etc. it's really not too hard to figure out what's going on. Or people who have dumped their BB and yet feel compelled to return here and bash. Or people that find competing platforms and just HAVE to post about their superiority, over and over.

Of course you have to wonder about people who are on the forum for just a few months and already have _thousands_ of postings...
    You left out the Armchair CEOs...
    11-25-11 12:34 PM
    There seems to be a inordinant amount of negative, nonsensical posts in these forums. So much so now I ignore all posts that are negative since the majority seem baseless and inflammatory.
    Agree 100%. This community is full of j bags. The blogs on the main crackberry are pretty much the only reason I even visit this site anymore. The people who run this site are great - the people who frequent this site are horrible. Next to no useful information here. Once in a while I hit the forums if a good thread title catches my eye.
    11-25-11 12:38 PM
    I agree with this Fortune article.

One tablet to rule them all? Baloney.

As the tablet industry continues to grow -- 52% on average each year through 2015 -- expect it to diversify, catering to different consumers willing to spend different amounts of money for different sets of features. So a $500 10-inch tablet versus a $200 7-inch tablet may just be the beginning. In that regard, the tablet market could look a lot like the auto industry. Few would say say there's such a thing as "one car fits all." The 2012 Porsche Cayman R may have the best handling for instance, but fall short if you're considering cargo capacity. That's why the idea of the search for one tablet to rule them all may be just plain foolish.
    Change "tablet" to "smartphone", and the same thing applies.
    Blacklatino and AZ87 like this.
    11-25-11 12:44 PM
    It should but it doesn't.
    Therein lies the problem which may have lead to a lot of the repetitive post on here(the forum) bashing RIM. Not all the the people dissatisfied are paid spies, or whatever. RIM will never be able to please everyone, but, being slow to change can and has had a negative impact on Blackberries. Can they recover? Time will tell.
    When it seemed that the mods were unaware or did not care, I took on the task of fighting them and got banned twice.
    The MODs are aware of some post and Do care. They just don't respond to "ALL" of the crap posted. Can't.
    ...not enough time and have a normal life.
    As far as getting banned. So, you think "getting banned" helps further your cause? Just curious.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 11-25-11 at 12:52 PM.
    11-25-11 12:47 PM
    He who smelt it, dealt it blackjack.
    Actually it was a tip from a fellow crackberrian in the UK who knew I would take it and run with it - I wasn't the first to smell it. I dont read the BBC

I certainly don't want to see this list,
    It would be a blatant attack on posters and go against forum rules.

I truly can't think of any primary poster I would call a corporate "spy" there are a few who I have no idea why they remain here except for the joy of making people upset, and knowing we have an open and accepting policy they are freely able to continue to damage the fabric that made CrackBerry great, but there should be no public out cry with a list, people should just report posts, if the person's post goes against rules, or clearly is posted to cause a fight, report it.
    I agree... Making a list would go against rules and start a backlash here. There's already so much negativity and that would just add fuel to the fire.

It really is pathetic to think that there are hired folks out there to bash companies but unfortunately believe that it can be true.
    Goes to show that not everything you read on the internet is true
    Notice , though tempted, I have not named names. I do have my mental list.

But deRusett, how can BJ get his dramahz? That's all this thread was, a blatant attempt to **** disturb and start trouble.

This kind of thread and behaviour is every bit as bad as the trolls. I wish people would realise that.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Jeez Mom, can't I have ANY fun? You don't let me do anything You get to do drama in here, why can't I?
    can I play with your iphone then??

Yes, and the owner of BlackBerry has an iphone.

And the president of the US has a blackberry so what?
    Who is the "owner of blackberry" anyway I thought it was publically owned? If I owned it though I would sure be aware of the competition...I guess he can't afford two devices whoever "he" is.

Besides Forums Moderator Branta gets rid of all the suspicious accounts, dup accounts. He knows how to track them down somehow.

I don't think a smear campaign would cause the amount of bad press RIM has gotten. They can take full ownership of that prize.

But they can stir it up - pull on a thread so to speak until it unravels the sweater.

You left out the Armchair CEOs...
    That would be me. While it may appear I have nothing better to do, or get paid to post, I am a multitasker which is why I love the playbook!

Crackberry entertains me while I work ... while loading software, rebooting, - doing scans, compiling FPGA code on my workstations (2 at once) while my computers are down I have my playbook!

I love it! I used to be dead bored while working - literally stare into space while my computers were busy...sure I could listen to the radio but it was distracting and too many commercials. The playbook does nothing while i have to concentrate, but ready to pick up when I don't.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-25-11 at 01:08 PM.
    11-25-11 12:50 PM
    The Great Britain Tabloid Phone Hacking Scandal has already demonstrated that the gloves come off when corporate entities go after something they really want.

Blackjack93117 brings a genuine concern forward.
    AZ87 likes this.
    11-25-11 01:04 PM
    Therein lies the problem which may have lead to a lot of the repetitive post on here(the forum) bashing RIM. Not all the the people dissatisfied are paid spies, or whatever. RIM will never be able to please everyone, but, being slow to change can and has had a negative impact on Blackberries. Can they recover? Time will tell.
    I acknowlege that in my original post - it doesn't apply to everyone. There are genuine and legitimate criticisms and genuine people ticked off.

The MODs are aware of some post and Do care. They just don't respond to "ALL" of the crap posted. Can't.
    ...not enough time and have a normal life.
    As far as getting banned. So, you think "getting banned" helps further your cause? Just curious.
    I agree - I said it SEEMED they did not care - at the time they may have not been as aware of this as they are now, nor was I aware of just how much they do - until they did it to me!! lol

- and they have clamped down big time.. that was then, this is now. I commend them for how much they care and do.

They have a huge thankless task and do an awesome job. I feel bad for the trouble I have given them actually, but never intentionally -I don't try to stir up trouble, trouble seems to follow me - which makes total sense if you consider there may be operatives in here. I have just reacted strongly to those who follow me around just to annoy me..
    if I was a weak feeble easily intimidated person I would have been gone long ago, which is the objective.

No I don't think getting banned furthers my cause - I was out of control at the time and deserved it. jus sayin' I don't get special treatment from the mods.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-25-11 at 01:22 PM.
    11-25-11 01:12 PM
    Not saying anything - but this fits the profile of the pattern I have noticed...newbie questions about known playbook flaws...

jus sayin

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...choise-673004/
    11-25-11 01:27 PM
    Guaranteed they will be in here trying to start fights to GET THIS THREAD CLOSED DOWN!! and to get enthusiasts such as myself ticked off and banned I am sure I am a primary target as they follow me around like flies.

Our infamous QNX enthusiast shootscores just got pulled down yesterday, but took two with him that were ticking him off and pushing his buttons intentionally. I hope the ban is not too log.

Don't fall for it mods!!
    I remember that one...good old PK, he sure handles the clean-up position well for a pitcher.
    11-25-11 01:36 PM
181 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD