... I ordered it yesterday.

In the shop, they had an HTC Flyer on display next to a Playbook, but the Playbook wouldn't even switch on.. I was quite tempted by the Flyer - it was �30 more for the 16Gb - but they had none in stock except the demo model and they weren't selling that.

When I got the Playbook home and switched it on I was prompted to upgrade the software to the latest version (360mb), that took just half an hour to download and install, then I was able to play around with it.

First impressions: the screen is brilliant - it seems to display the deep colours that LCDs often have trouble with.. the demo video looks fantastic.

The whole interface is fluid and neat - it seemed to take me no time to learn.

I plugged it into my netbook to charge and, hopefully, sync some stuff, but I found the Blackberry Desktop Manager to be hopelessly slow and clunky - maybe because my netbook is pretty old, but no matter, it was recognised as a USB device so I was able to exit the Blackberry program and just drag and drop some music - and a couple of movies - over to its folders.

I'm very impressed.. my movies and music play fine, quite surprised by just how good the speakers are. Normally I listen to my music with pretty good iems (Sennheiser ie8s), but I can see myself playing music through the speakers in the background while I'm doing something else

I do want a decent ereader that will recognise all my epubs..and I've yet to download one, but, much to my delight, the native Adobe reader will show all my Fabulous Furry Freak Brother comics really, really well. (ios apps for my iPod Touch, Android apps for my phone, even Foxit reader for my netbook - they were all crap at showing my comics, but I think the 7" on the Playbook hits the sweet spot and they all play perfectly.

Still got a lot to learn.. and I'm trying to desist from Need For Speed at least until the thing charges again.

Very happy with it so far, oh, I forgot to mention the creating and editing Docs - that's a function I'll use a lot.
    12-29-11 12:29 PM
    Book reader is a good app... will do .epub and .mobi (non DRM ones).
    Like you taste in comics too. I have them all in cbz format
    12-29-11 12:36 PM
    Glad you enjoy it.
    Just a note: Using the included wall charger will charge it much faster. If your in the US you may be able to find a rapid charger at a good price from staples. It's magnetic and seems to attach itself when you bring it close to the playbook. Will also save some wear and tear on the USB port.
    12-29-11 12:38 PM
    Book reader is a good app... will do .epub and .mobi (non DRM ones).
    Like you taste in comics too. I have them all in cbz format
    Can I ask? I also have comics in cbz - they're basically a collection of jpegs, right?

Do you use an app to view them or just create a folder in pictures?
    12-29-11 01:15 PM
    Thanks for the feedback and welcome to Crackberry and playbookland!
    Glad to see you enjoy it as much as we do.

Don't miss the Tips and tricks for newbies - link below this post. vvvv
    12-29-11 01:32 PM
    Can I ask? I also have comics in cbz - they're basically a collection of jpegs, right?

Do you use an app to view them or just create a folder in pictures?
    I use the native app Comics from appworld:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-605681/

... and also a converted android app called Comicrack which I've sideloaded.

The comics and folders with comics in are in my playbook books dir.
    Last edited by DD1968; 12-29-11 at 01:36 PM.
    12-29-11 01:33 PM
    I plugged it into my netbook to charge
    I don't think the usb charges..I thought as you did at first but the battery wasn't charging. When it is charging you'll see a 'current' icon over the battery icon, when it is just hooked up to the usb it just has the 'plugged in' icon instead.
    12-29-11 02:33 PM
    I don't think the usb charges..I thought as you did at first but the battery wasn't charging. When it is charging you'll see a 'current' icon over the battery icon, when it is just hooked up to the usb it just has the 'plugged in' icon instead.
    The USB charges very slow.
    I read here recently the plug icon is indicating your using more power then the USB is providing.
    It's also an indicator of a full charge. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember where I read it.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 12-29-11 at 02:58 PM.
    12-29-11 02:45 PM
    Fosse welcome to Crackberry. You will find a wealth of information here. If you have a question do not hesitate to ask. The search box at the top is your best place to start after reading through
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    It is long but packed with great information for you to get the most out of your PB.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-29-11 02:55 PM
    Thanks.. it was really reading this forum the past couple of days which made me decide I wanted one.

And the good really does outweigh the bad about the PlayBook
    Chaddface and spike12 like this.
    12-29-11 03:22 PM
    Definitely use the charger that came with the PB or the rapid charger.

The stock wall wart charger that comes with the PB is rated at 1.8A (1800mA) so it's going to charge your PB MUCH faster than any USB will. Also, I use it to charge my Bold 9930. The Bold 9930 charger is rated at 750mA, so using the stock PB charger on my Bold is in essence a "rapid charger" for my 9930. It charges my Bold VERY quickly...
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    12-29-11 03:40 PM
    I noticed something which is weird - I don't seem to get any LED light - not green, orange or red at all when it's charging from the wall socket.

In fact I've only seen the red LED once when I mistakenly powered the PB off.
    12-29-11 03:49 PM
    Also, most PC usb ports put out about 500mA so it will barely maintain the charge while the PB is on.
    12-29-11 03:55 PM
    I noticed something which is weird - I don't seem to get any LED light - not green, orange or red at all when it's charging from the wall socket.

In fact I've only seen the red LED once when I mistakenly powered the PB off.
    Are you charging it while it is off? That's the only time the LED shows the charging.
    12-29-11 03:56 PM
    You're right - I've been charging it whilst still on..

When I did power it off I couldn't get it on again! I tried depressing the power button, then a combination of all the buttons but no luck..

What got it on again was connecting it to my netbook... I think I'm going to keep it in standby, lol.
    12-29-11 03:59 PM
    Well, I'm still loving it.. Last night I downloaded Book Reader and have put about 1000 ebooks on the PB.

Was watching a Jackson Browne at Glastonbury concert, and was pretty blown away by both the audio and video quality.

Another thing I found is that the PB takes the same micro USB cord as both my phone and my mp3 player, so I should never have to look very far.
    12-30-11 12:31 PM
    Well, I'm still loving it.. Last night I downloaded Book Reader and have put about 1000 ebooks on the PB.

Was watching a Jackson Browne at Glastonbury concert, and was pretty blown away by both the audio and video quality.

Another thing I found is that the PB takes the same micro USB cord as both my phone and my mp3 player, so I should never have to look very far.
    You might want to verify that non-bb chargers actually do charge the pb, especially while it is ON. BBphone chargers work slowly and computer usb ports even slower. The pb charger works as a fast charger for their phones (and they actually sell it as a phone fast charger). The rapid chargers which are selling really cheaply in the US are very nice - no stress on the usb port and are fast charging.
    12-30-11 03:05 PM
    OP, Where did you find the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comics ? I miss Freewheeling Franklin from the 70's !!!
    12-31-11 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD