• 1 Post By Zildjian71
  • 3 Post By mawil1013
  • 2 Post By kb5zht
  • 2 Post By F2
  • 2 Post By level
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Well, I bought a Xoom...

After deciding I couldn't live without Garmin Pilot for another day I went out and bought a 10.1" Xoom. I played with it for two days. I surfed the various android App sites for hours on end looking for those must-have apps and came away thinking "The only thing I'm missing on the playbook is Skype and Garmin Pilot." Not to mention after using my Playbook for several months the Xoom felt heavy and awkward. Back to the store I went; trading the Xoom for a Galaxy 2 7.0. I've loaded Pilot on the Galaxy and it will be me primary flying - Civil Air Patrol device. Kept the Playbook; overall, still my favorite. Even with Jelly Bean on the Xoom I didn't think it was a huge improvement over my Blackberry. Not to mention the primary reason I bought the Playbook was to be the extension of by blackberry phone which it does flawlessly. And the audio on the Playbook is hands down the best of all three. Now, If I can just keep from trying to use swipe commands on that darned Android...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    526 Global Posts
    PIN
    3323f8b3

I don't have a xoom but I do have a transformer and every time i pick it up I'm just like wow this is so big and awkward to use. I used to like the way a 10 inch tablet felt till I got the 7 inch and I will never go back also had the 7in galaxy tab 2 it was cool but performance wise the playbook is just on a different level... The only bad thing like u stated are the lack of some key apps netflix I would really like due to the fact my daughter uses it and Skype or really I would rather had a google+ app I think the Google video chat is better then Skype but one day the app issue will become a thing of the past just how I feel
    bungaboy likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just Pin It.

Glad you got a Samsung...much better build quality either size. Can't say anything about Motorola without flaming so better not.

If by some major global catastrophe I had to bail on RIM the Samsung presentation of Android devices would be my fall back plan. IHMO it is a better choice.
    To resist the influence of others the knowledge of oneself is of most importance.

Teal'c on Stargate SG-1 Season 9 Episode 14
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MSgt Van View Post
    After deciding I couldn't live without Garmin Pilot for another day I went out and bought a 10.1" Xoom. I played with it for two days. I surfed the various android App sites for hours on end looking for those must-have apps and came away thinking "The only thing I'm missing on the playbook is Skype and Garmin Pilot." Not to mention after using my Playbook for several months the Xoom felt heavy and awkward. Back to the store I went; trading the Xoom for a Galaxy 2 7.0. I've loaded Pilot on the Galaxy and it will be me primary flying - Civil Air Patrol device. Kept the Playbook; overall, still my favorite. Even with Jelly Bean on the Xoom I didn't think it was a huge improvement over my Blackberry. Not to mention the primary reason I bought the Playbook was to be the extension of by blackberry phone which it does flawlessly. And the audio on the Playbook is hands down the best of all three. Now, If I can just keep from trying to use swipe commands on that darned Android...
    My first tablet was a Xoom on Honeycomb. The device itself was solid and very well built and has all the input and output ports you'd ever require are there. But it was way too heavy for me to hold comfortably, there was no flash, and Android feels just like clunky Windows. I really enjoyed Swype and greatly miss that but really thats all. I simply couldn't afford the Playbook. The moment Playbook went on sale, I sold my Xoom on Amazon and bought two Playbooks. One for me and one for my wife. Just a short time ago I bought a Ballistic cover which I think greatly enhanced my Playbook as far as everyday ease of handling. I look forward to future Playbook operating system refinements beyond OS2. What I most like about PB is it's the most like a standard laptop as far as functionality over other tablets. I want freedom to choose, not be confined to the Google nor Apple universes.
    F2, kbz1960 and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,441 Global Posts

10 inch tablets are so big. Motorola and Samsung look and feel cheap. 7 inch is best size imo.
    Android sucks in my opinion. Google Play has thousands of apps made for ..... phones not tablets.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    CrackBerry Genius

At first i thought a 7" screen would make me feel like i was cheated but i found it is a great size for interacting.... If it were solely a video console for watching movies then yea the 10" tablets would be better but for texting and gaming and all other manner of interfacing... I prefer the playbook. My wife has an ipad. I see every day the advantages. Portability yes sir!!!
    gritsinct and bungaboy like this.

I recall picking up the xoom when it was first released at a Costco store. It really did feel very heavy. I've sat with my pb watching a video while sitting on a park bench and while I did have to change hand positions a few times I could manage it. I could not have done that with a larger tablet. Obviously, the smaller size is a tradeoff for some things but it is also more useful in the long run.
    Ankieberry and bungaboy like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts

The more I use my Nexus 7, the more I miss my PB. Especially the browser. Chrome is ok and it has some nice features, but the PB's browser renders the pages so much better. So yeah, besides some apps it's hard to beat the PB. Though I must say I'm liking Google Play and its integration with Jelly Bean.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,980 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

I've used some of the Android tablets in the past and they seemed all about the same to me. Pretty good and I would likely have one now if I didn't have a PlayBook. The best thing about them is there are so many to choose from. But with the PlayBook, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything other than a few apps that have been mentioned time and time again.
    But I've been using Amazon Prime to supplement one of those apps and so far have been pretty pleased with Prime.
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MSgt Van View Post
    After deciding I couldn't live without Garmin Pilot for another day I went out and bought a 10.1" Xoom. I played with it for two days. I surfed the various android App sites for hours on end looking for those must-have apps and came away thinking "The only thing I'm missing on the playbook is Skype and Garmin Pilot." Not to mention after using my Playbook for several months the Xoom felt heavy andawkward. Back to the store I went; trading the Xoom for a Galaxy 2 7.0. I've loaded Pilot on the Galaxy and it will be me primary flying - Civil Air Patrol device. Kept the Playbook; overall, still my favorite. Even with Jelly Bean on the Xoom I didn't think it was a huge improvement over my Blackberry. Not to mention the primary reason I bought the Playbook was to be the extension of by blackberry phone which it does flawlessly. And the audio on the Playbook is hands down the best of all three. Now, If I can just keep from trying to use swipe commands on that darned Android...
    This post happens to be quite timely considering my recent situation. Earlier this weekend on a whim I purchased a gs2 off Craig's list as my first android device. I was excited thinking the gs2 is where things really start getting impressive (hw+sw). I crank it up with ics, go app crazy in Google play. And then......well. that was it. Pack it full of apps that you really don't find useful, just the fact they are installed on the device is supposed to be satisfying. So how about some settings, android the ultimate customized os. Ummm the ultimate diacomboblulated unorganized os. Sure, there's a setting for that. Good luck finding it. If you can't find the setting, well scour the market through hundreds of apps finding the fix. Right. What really gets me is where's the depth, the integration. Call me crazy, don't get me wrong, a very powerful device....I did watch an entire movie on Netflix this morning (sweet) and I understand I need to spend time to understand the os. But when it broke down to the core: making a phone call, texting, twitter, Facebook....give me my 9900 (and its keyboard). I guess from the first time I picked up a 9000, I understood what rim was thinking while my personality just fits their ideals. Sure the android phone is flashy, specs are huge. If you ask me, its only skin deep. For the same reason Mercedes doesn't care Toyota sells more cars, I applaud rim for knowing their path and values. Sadly the majority of the mobile communications world likely doesn't feel the same. Why? It must be the bling, the media consumption. Meh. I have to say go rim, dismiss the iOS and android race. Just a commercial mess if you ask me. Here's to bb10 and a strong future to rim. Don't lose sight, what you're doing is right. Forget the distractions.
    Last edited by level; 07-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    Pdinos3 and elphie28 like this.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    10 inch tablets are so big. Motorola and Samsung look and feel cheap. 7 inch is best size imo.
    Android sucks in my opinion. Google Play has thousands of apps made for ..... phones not tablets.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    I agree with the Xoom being heavy and bulky. i had one a long time ago and I sold it off pronto.

I strongly disagree with your 'look and feel cheap' comment on the Samsungs...never in a million years are the 2011 Galaxy Tabs 'cheap looking' and they certainly don't feel cheap either.

Mayhaps you're referring to the 2010 first generation Galaxy Tab?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,349 Global Posts

Yep, had the Xoom here as well. I did find it a bit cumbersome but that wasn't the issue. The UI(keep in mind this wasn't the latest Android) wasn't all the intuitive for me, didn't find myself buying or using a lot of apps and the screen resolution wasn't that great.

Took mine back a couple of months later, probably gonna buy a Playbook in a couple of months when they do another fire sale cause I won't need the 4G model anyway.
    8700, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9860, Z10! Spider-Man case FTW!!!