I decided to cancel my order for the Playbook. My personal reason was that I could not justify spending that much on a tablet when honestly, I most likely wouldn't use it as often to justify the expenditure.

I prefer to wait and buy a new blackberry phone when the new models come out instead. I love Blackberry and maybe down the road after a few iterations of the tablet, I might reconsider.

I do wish all you great joy in your new purchase. It's a very cool product for sure. I know I made the right choice for me in the end.
    04-10-11 01:02 PM
    I can sort of see where you're coming from. I have an iPad at work which I can take home any time I want. I had it here for a week or so and I found myself simply not at all caring about it from an end-user perspective.

I'm getting a PlayBook for free from RIM and I'm super excited about it from a developer perspective (it will allow me to create more kick-*** apps hopefully) but the consumer experience... I'm not sure yet. I DO think it looks a lot better than iOS but at this point I can't really tell yet whether it's gonna replace my laptop when surfing from the couch or not. I'm hoping it will but at the moment I honestly don't know. I do have more hope than with the iPad though!
    04-10-11 01:11 PM
    I went thru the same thoughts. I decided that I could use it and it would be benificial to me. But it is a lot of money that could be used for something else. Everyone has to make thier own decision. Besides its not like you cant get one later.
    04-10-11 01:36 PM
    you started a thread to tell us that whats wrong with you????????
    04-10-11 01:39 PM
    yeah.whats the point of this thread?
    04-10-11 01:40 PM
    I think it's a subject interesting enough to talk about.
    04-10-11 01:41 PM
    I went through a lot of the same stuff listed above. I have been known for buying (or receiving as gifts) more than a few gadgets that end up getting a few days/weeks of attention, followed by collecting dust. I was talking to my wife the other day, and there was a few minutes where she said, "Sell it to me. How are you going to use it?"

At first, I hesitated a bit, since I don't like such confrontation, but it did force me to give her a little spiel about why I want it. I did ultimately come up with some basic things that will guarantee future usage, such as [hopefully] Netflix capabilities, as well as being small enough to carry in my white coat when I start my medical internship this summer. It will be an excellent medical resource at the hospital, in my opinion.

I told her I also must remain loyal to RIM and do my part to keep them in business and producing high-quality, reliable, efficient technology! I heart my BB 9700 and both of my preceding BBs (9000 and Pearl 8100).
    04-10-11 01:43 PM
    It's an interesting debate. It still fits into my "want" rather than "need" category.

I can certainly see a presentational benefit that I might use in my business, but it's also a lot of money for me to put out, when my laptop does it perfectly well. On long trips to Australia, the lightness and convenience is something that I do find attractive, and that may yet be something that makes me decide to go for it.

I am going to wait and see though - in any case, us poor relatives in the UK have got a bit of a wait yet anyway.
    menaknow and howarmat like this.
    04-10-11 01:52 PM
    I enjoy reading. I read books, magazines, word documents, presentations, Online Articles, PDF and CHM files. I would like to be able to read and have other tasks running in the background; that's why I'm getting a PlayBook.
    04-10-11 01:57 PM
    I have about 10 bookshelves completely stuffed with books, none of which I can convince myself to get rid of as I read each of them over an over periodically. I'm justifying it on the basis that from now on, I'll buy e-books. :-)
    04-10-11 02:04 PM
    I was going to order the hamburger for lunch but after thinking about it for a while, I opted for the Chicken Sandwich instead.

Discuss...
    04-10-11 02:15 PM
    It's an interesting debate. It still fits into my "want" rather than "need" category.
    ^ This

I still use my laptop pretty heavily and do not see that changing when I get my Playbook, so its not a laptop replacement for me.

Mind you, I am an application developer and as such it's impossible to escape or replace a laptop..

What it will be for me is something that I can use where my laptop would be inconvenient. The list I have is:

- Watching online episodes at the gym when I am on a treadmill/elipical (most of my shows are online at a broadcasting website like see ctv.ca and are not on youtube). I can watch while I exercise.

- A lot of times I want to quickly look up some content online and it will be easier than to power up a laptop while I am at home.

- While at work I will be able to bridge to the work blackberry and use my Playbook in meetings

And the major one:

- I use my windows mobile (6.5) PDA device as a major component in the GTD system I have. I am hoping the Playbook can replace it, if not I know it will help complement my system in allowing me to constantly get stuff done even when I'm in transit/on the go...
    04-10-11 02:19 PM
    I can see your point and I agree.

After all, tablets are still big toys instead of productivity tools up till now, except the ones that are tailored exclusively for (and fully integrated into) business environment like healthcare system.
    04-10-11 02:21 PM
    And you commented just to criticize someone. Maybe you should ask yourself the same question.

To the OP- Do what is right for you. Like a previous poster said, it's not like you can't get one later on.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-10-11 02:26 PM
    I have not pre-ordered my PB yet. But I am getting one. Yes it is a considerable amount of coinage, but I want it!! I will find a way to incorporate this device into my everyday life.
    Last edited by Jedi_Blackberry; 04-10-11 at 02:44 PM.
    04-10-11 02:35 PM
    I have a 64 gb on order but may reconsider getting a 32/16 gb version if it does support sd card.
    04-10-11 03:23 PM
    I get 2.7k back this year in taxes, I limited myself to just 1, can't go too nuts lal
    04-10-11 03:26 PM
    Nobody NEEDS a PlayBook.
    Nobody needs a tablet. Period.
    We all managed to make it through life without tablets until now.
    The only thing that's changed is Steve Jobs has convinced a lot of people that they really, really WANT a tablet.

The OP doesn't want one that bad anymore. Oh, well.
    04-10-11 03:31 PM
    I got to admit, I'm having similar thoughts. I've been using my netbook more and more and have been wondering how much I would actually use the Playbook since my netbook is pretty light, pretty fast, and fully functional (though crappy battery life).

I'm still going to get it but I just don't know if I am going to keep it as $600 is a lot for if I'm not going to use it all the time. Especially with new blackberry phones on their way since I buy mine outright :-(

Decisions, decisions...
    04-10-11 04:28 PM
    Yeah I definitely don't need one. I had an iPad and sold it soon after as it didn't fill in any niche I really needed. I have dual 24" monitors at my home desktop workstation which works well enough. I have a 67" TV with my HTPC set up for browsing/surfing while on the couch / watching online videos or movies. I have an old Dell Notebook laptop that rarely ever gets used---only really take it out when I'm going on a vacation, or to hook up to the cars if I want to scan for any OBD1/OBDII codes. I have a Zune HD for video watching / mp3's on the road. I have an Xbox360 + Wii for gaming. I don't have a Blackberry smart phone to bridge it to, and actually have never had a Blackberry device. I don't have a data plan with my Smartphone anymore either.

I really can't justify buying one, and have more important things I should spend the money on. But, I'm buying one anyway. I would really like to get back into programming / development, and I think the Playbook and its capabilities will give me the motivation and platform to get me back into the dev environment. I can't think of anything to build for the PC, iPad has 50x versions of the same things (2 of which are useful)... Playbook seems like a clean slate where I won't have to compromise, and a platform where I can sell useful apps where they may actually get purchased (unlike PC... don't think I know of anyone who buys full versions from shareware anymore.)
    04-11-11 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD