Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Innovatology
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    23A09773
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Weird PlayBook OS version showing up on AppWorld

I recently checked my AppWorld download report for the last month and found out something interesting. Usually, I only see "Verizon Wireless (USA)" or "RIM" as the carrier but a "Rogers (Canada)" has caught up my attention. This PlayBook shows as OS 6.0.0.

Does any developper noticed bugs like this one fairly often? It has always been accurate before. I've seen 2.0.1 (as shown in the screenshot) which is normal as anyone should be hoping they're already testing it, but the 6.0.0 and Rogers was a first.

Edit : It's from the download report of my app, on the Vendor Portal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weird PlayBook OS version showing up on AppWorld-ss1.jpg   Weird PlayBook OS version showing up on AppWorld-ss2.jpg  
    Last edited by Artwerks; 04-05-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts

Twisted!
    Makes me think it was a phone, but what do I know...
    Gotta be a mistake...
    Some people like to build things
    Some people like to tear things down
    Be a builder, people will like you more.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Artwerks View Post
    I recently checked my AppWorld download report for the last month and found out something interesting. Usually, I only see "Verizon Wireless (USA)" or "RIM" as the carrier but a "Rogers (Canada)" has caught up my attention. This PlayBook shows as OS 6.0.0.

Does any developper noticed bugs like this one fairly often? It has always been accurate before. I've seen 2.0.1 (as shown in the screenshot) which is normal as anyone should be hoping they're already testing it, but the 6.0.0 and Rogers was a first.
    Were you tethered or bridged when you used app world?

Were you using a wifi HotSpot (starbucks, mc donalds etc) when using appworld?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by narci View Post
    Were you tethered or bridged when you used app world?

Were you using a wifi HotSpot (starbucks, mc donalds etc) when using appworld?
    I fail to see how being tethered or on a wifi hotspot on the Op's end would create such results?
    His extracted report shows traffic of different OS versions hitting his app in appworld.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I wonder if the 6.x is the new os10 and the 2.0.1 may be the new playbook os (both qnx) to come out with os10. I of course don't know but it's sounds nice. Let the rumors begin
    BlackBerry Z10
    PlayBook 64 gig
    PlayBook 32 gig
    BlackBerry Q10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    949 Global Posts

It's probably just the 3g/4g versions of the playbook. If you take a look at one of those images that was posted by that guy who had 4g playbook, you can see at the top that it states "capabilities.os = QNX 6.6.0 playbook." Those users that downloaded you app were just likely field testers with a 3g/4g version.

Thanked by:
    Artwerks (04-05-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

It's probably an App World glitch. I've seen occasional BB phone OS versions showing up in the download reports for Files & Folders since it was released. Which is quite a feat, considering it's a PlayBook-only app.

The BB10 devices showed up first as 10.0 and more recently 127.0.0.x. I've also seen PlayBook OS 2.0.1.x and 2.1.0.x builds.
    ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App
    SteelGreek likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

I recently saw this in app world for one of my apps too. Rogers (Canada), PlayBook OS 6.0.0. Took me by surprise that my app would even be downloaded by a tester internally, but only being at OS2 right now, how in the world would they be testing OS6?
    NElements Free - Explore the Table of The Elements! Built in searching, row and column highlighting and images/information to go with the elements during previewing them! | Free! | PlayBook OS 2

TellMe! - TellMe! allows you to add content into your menu very easily! Add time, date, memory, weather, latest phone log, battery and the latest received email! | Free! | BlackBerry OS 5, 6, 7
    Ebscer

The 127.0.* builds have been showing up since November, and I can not figure out what they are. The PlayBooks that list Verizon as the carrier are just as likely to be running 1.0.8 or 2.0.0 (or 1.0.9) so I have my doubts about it being 4G related. For me the 10.0.x builds have been far more recent.

Also I am assuming that 2.1.0 and 2.0.1 are the same thing (but I could be wrong).
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Ebscer, the 127. builds are just internal test builds of some sort, nothing particularly special. They've used that numbering scheme for them since at least last summer, so they tell us nothing except that an internal tester downloaded the app.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.

Global Posts
    10,384 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

I've noticed the same thing.
    I also saw some 1.0.9 builds, which is somewhat amusing as 2.0 should supersede them and they were never released to the public.
    I thought about posting the 6.0 OS numbers in a post I made this morning about the different carriers the PlayBook have been showing up under and countries 2.0.1 has shown up in (RIM Testing PlayBook on Multiple Carriers and 2.0.1 in multiple Countries ← OpenSourceBB.com – OSBB), but decided not to because I wasn't sure what they are.
    At least now I know what the 128.0.1 builds are for!

Oh, and if anyone has any carrier stats that aren't included in the above link, let me know so I can add them!