About 8 years ago I bought a house built in 1915. I have been renovating ever since. The only job hired out was gutters and carpet. Rewired, new plumbing, built most of the furniture and cabinets, painted all of the outside and inside, new kitchen and bath, stripped the yard and planted new grass.
    Just hoping for the housing market to recover and move on to the next project house. It's really been an adventure.
    Favorite TV show? This Old House.
    02-12-12 12:39 PM
    Much too ambitious. I did demo the old kitchen but a friend helped with the plumbing while I WATCHED. And a pro did the cabinet installs and another the new oak floor (I did remove the old linoleum and fir flooring oh, and I did the lights sawing the holes for the cans and sawing an active water line in the ceiling in the process!!!!! Lucky the ground fault protector saved me on the aluminum ladder!!!!
    02-12-12 01:43 PM
    Much too ambitious. I did demo the old kitchen but a friend helped with the plumbing while I WATCHED. And a pro did the cabinet installs and another the new oak floor (I did remove the old linoleum and fir flooring oh, and I did the lights sawing the holes for the cans and sawing an active water line in the ceiling in the process!!!!! Lucky the ground fault protector saved me on the aluminum ladder!!!! Now that would have been a picture - me covered in wet plaster dust and the entire kitchen sprayed with water and mud, basically.
    02-12-12 01:44 PM
    Sonic- In app world there is an app called wiring diagrams if your interested. I think it was free when I got it but .99 cents now. As the name implies it has 10-15 basic diagrams. Be careful white is not always neutral. I'll put up a screen shot.
    SFN?
    Most of my projects are remove and replace, so I just match things up to what they were. If I ever have any questions, my dad was an electrician from the Navy to sawmills to home wiring to commercial high voltage, even small appliance repair, so I always call him if there's anything questionable. I learned a long time ago not to mess with electricity...
    02-12-12 05:39 PM
    Much too ambitious. I did demo the old kitchen but a friend helped with the plumbing while I WATCHED. And a pro did the cabinet installs and another the new oak floor (I did remove the old linoleum and fir flooring oh, and I did the lights sawing the holes for the cans and sawing an active water line in the ceiling in the process!!!!! Lucky the ground fault protector saved me on the aluminum ladder!!!!

Glad things worked as they should and you're around to tell the story.

Edit: Haven't done much this weekend.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 02-12-12 at 06:10 PM. Reason: add pic
    02-12-12 05:56 PM

Glad things worked as they should and you're around to tell the story.

Edit: Haven't done much this weekend.
    Well, the best was that I had to get to the whole house water shutoff - not easy - down the basement stairs, around two corners and buried behind a few bikes. I was covered with this wet plaster mud and NO water. Ran to a neighbor (great plumbing guy), wife answers door and gasps at my appearance. Yells, "Bob, F2 needs help!" He managed to place a rubber boot on the pipe after banging and bending it since I did a great job of cutting it right at a joist so no room to work.

Ah, fun around the ol' homestead. Good thing the new oak floors were not in yet.
    02-12-12 06:58 PM
    Doesn't sound like fun but also sounds comical
    02-12-12 07:18 PM
    got these from a buddy. felt lucky finding stubbies.

Lucky Lager is a beer that has a strong cult following on Vancouver Island. At one time Lucky was actually brewed on Vancouver Island in Victoria but in 1982 Labatt Breweries of Canada moved off the Island and proceeded to tear down the brewery to prevent any competition on the Island. (As a side note, Labatt Brewing Company declared Cumberland, BC to be the "Luckiest Town in Canada" in early 2002 due to its incredible rate of consumption). wiki
    Last edited by sushistew; 02-12-12 at 07:39 PM.
    02-12-12 07:31 PM
    Much too ambitious. I did demo the old kitchen but a friend helped with the plumbing while I WATCHED. And a pro did the cabinet installs and another the new oak floor (I did remove the old linoleum and fir flooring oh, and I did the lights sawing the holes for the cans and sawing an active water line in the ceiling in the process!!!!! Lucky the ground fault protector saved me on the aluminum ladder!!!! Now that would have been a picture - me covered in wet plaster dust and the entire kitchen sprayed with water and mud, basically.
    I have made my share of mistakes. I never cut a pipe fortunately. I have seen pros do the same thing so your not alone. Glad you didn't have the floor down yet.

Here is my failed attempt at bread making. Same result 8/10 times. King Arthur has a good site I just discovered. At least it taste good.
    02-12-12 08:29 PM
    I used King Arthur flour, too. Bread and whole wheat. Used the recipe from the machine's cookbook but substituted olive oil for the butter. Seems yours overflowed a bit. Looks like a large popover!
    02-12-12 09:23 PM
    Costco was blowing out the last of those light fixtures and had them marked down too. Hadn't planned on doing anything yet, but I guess I know what's on tap for next weekend...
    02-12-12 10:53 PM
    I just couldn't get used to having the thumb in the middle of the hand lol but they were very good at protecting you from the heat.

Yup, slaved over a hot breadmaking machine - about $70 at Costco last Winter. Seems to work reasonably well but would be shunned by real breadmakers (years ago!).

Some form of Silicon - yes, for handling hot stuff or oven racks.

And tfp: they do take getting use to and they can be a pain for some things. The semi-other-half never liked them!!! Traditional potholders for her!

And the images were substantially reduced using irfanview and then uploaded. So who knows how many transformations.
    02-13-12 12:28 AM

at my sister and brother in laws today
    02-13-12 12:56 AM
    Attachment 105120

2005 Outrageous 24
    03-10-12 07:08 AM
    I was getting my one year old niece hooked on the PlayBook...
    03-10-12 07:40 AM
    Shall we update?
    03-10-12 09:42 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD