Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By canada john
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default "website access to my location" turned OFF but Bing knows where I am!

Hello,

I'm anxious to protect my privacy/security so under "Options/Permissions" I selected "OFF" next to the line that says "Allow Websites To Access My Location". Thought I was protected. This afternoon I was playing around with the "Bing Maps" app, and it seems they know just where I am!

On the Bing Maps site I typed in the address of a place I visit, and a map came up with that place on it. Out of curiosity I then tapped "directions". This produced another page that had a space "B", which listed the place I'd just searched out, and a space "A", which was blank - presumably where I was to type my home address if I wanted directions to get to point "B". All fine and good.

Still exploring that page, I tapped the little blue circle in the top right hand corner of the screen. Suddenly a new map appeared with an orange arrow marking my house exactly!

Any one know why this is happening? How has my selection on "Options/Permission" been circumvented.

Scarry!

No where can I find out what this little blue circle is for. Can't find any explanation on that Bing page on my Playbook. I've loaded Bing Maps on my regular computer, but that circle doesn't appear there.

Anybody know whats going on? By tapping the blue circle am I temporarily at least voiding my instructions in "Options/Permissions"? Hope this isn't a failure in the Playbook system.

How do I ensure my privacy?

Thanks.

John
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,013 Global Posts

1. Apps and Websites are two different things. What you set in the Browser app doesn't affect other apps.
    2. When you touched the blue circle, you permitted the app to find your location.
    3. You likely are much, much too concerned about this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks. I'm wondering if I understand you correctly.

So denying access to knowledge of my location works differently that denial of cookies? In the later case, when cookies are not allowed no web site can over-rule that - blue circle or no blue circle. Yet, you seem to be saying with denial of access to knowledge of my location, the instructions in "security/options/permissions" are relatively toothless. That certainly doesn't seem to be a strenght of Playbook.

I wonder how many other apps have functions in them that over-rule your personal settings in Playbook.

Finally, I'm surprised you feel I'm too concerned about my security. Seems that's a choice that should be left up to each of us.

John
    vgwillm likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

The way I understand Bing Maps, the blue button is the GPS indicator. When it turns bright blue, it has a lock on your location. When you click it, it will show you the location. I am not sure how you would turn the GPS off, either on the Playbook or Bing Maps.
    Still have the 64GB Playbook. Still have the 16GB Playbook, bought it, haven't used it other than the initial start up. It is probably completely dead under my computer desk shelves somewhere. My old Blackberry phones are strewn around the house. My Blackberry Storm 2 is a dedicated alarm clock. Current phone is a Galaxy S4, with tablet Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.
    Thanked by:
    canada john (11-29-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,013 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by canada john View Post
    Thanks. I'm wondering if I understand you correctly.

So denying access to knowledge of my location works differently that denial of cookies? In the later case, when cookies are not allowed no web site can over-rule that - blue circle or no blue circle. Yet, you seem to be saying with denial of access to knowledge of my location, the instructions in "security/options/permissions" are relatively toothless. That certainly doesn't seem to be a strenght of Playbook.

I wonder how many other apps have functions in them that over-rule your personal settings in Playbook.

Finally, I'm surprised you feel I'm too concerned about my security. Seems that's a choice that should be left up to each of us.

John
    You are misunderstanding.

You set that option in the BROWSER. There's no general setting for "not displaying your location".

Thus that setting affects websites that you go to in the BROWSER.

It does not affect other apps such as Bing Maps which do not run in the browser.

Plus, you hit the button to allow Bing Maps to find your location.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by canada john View Post

John
    Apps that you install need to ask for permission to access personal information and Playbook features like the GPS. When you first run the App it will ask to use a service if it needs it. You can deny it and then the APP may or may not function, depending on whether that info is critical for the operation of the APP. If you later change your mind, you can change App security in the security settings of the options screen of the Playbook. The options screen is accessed by selecting the gear icon on the upper right corner of the main PlayBook screen.

As an example, if you install Poynt, it will ask for permission to use device identifying information (probably a form of cookie) and then it asks you for permission to use the GPS. You can deny it access to both, with the only limitation you may find is that you need to tell Poynt where you are for the searches and features to be localized.
    Thanked by:
    canada john (11-29-2011) 

I guess the limitation is that the PRE-installed apps do not appear to have Permission Settings in the Security settings. So you canNOT deny Bing access to the gps other than NOT pressing the "gps-button."

I just checked and I can deny Poynt access to the gps. Similarly, I just looked at two other "map" apps and I can deny them the gps.

Might write to rim (not much good but...) and ask that we be allowed to change permissions for the pre-installed apps.
    Thanked by:
    canada john (11-29-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thanks all.

Basically it would seem that a pre-installed APP like Bing Maps does not give the option to keep your location private. And I guess they have that information whether or not I hit the little blue ring. (Sorry those of you who think I'm being paranoid, but a while back I decided to make it a policy to keep as much of my personal information private as possible.)

Seems my best option is just to delete Bing Maps - which I will - and upload Google Maps when I'm looking for that kind of information.

As for the relationship between APPS and the browser and browser settings, I can only say they do not seem to be as independent as one of you has suggested. HotMail also comes preloaded, but turn off ccokies and see what happens. In this case security settings on the browser do apply to a pre-loaded APP.

Guess my question is why RIM, known for it's appreciation of security would allow this situation to exist. Hope they weren't capitulating to the pressures of an APP supplier.

But thanks again all, for the help and education.

John
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,013 Global Posts

Hotmail is not an app. It's a web shortcut. It's a link that opens the Browser.

And again, the Bing Maps app didn't know your location until you told it to locate you.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask and ye shall recieve

I feel you're being overly paranoid. The Playbook is the most secure tablet I know of, so unless the data obtained from from GPS is being pushed to Bing from Bing maps, and Microsoft is then storing this data(which I believe is illegal?) then you're completely fine and should probably see a Therapist just in case...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

"...should probably see a Therapist just in case"

Wow! Wasn't expecting to see that kind of comment in a forum like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask and ye shall recieve

Just so you're aware, I'm not trying to troll or be a ****, but paranoia is kinda a big deal. No one can hack into your Playbook's GPS and hack your coordinate's and track you down. I just hope you realize that ANYONE can look you up on the internet and find out where you live just by having your Name and where you're likely to live, just by doing a Yellow Pages search.

Also, every time you post on a website you're IP is put into a database. So, unless your using a proxy or you've tunneled yourself. In other words, any webpage you visit day to day could potentially find out where you live just using that.

To end this off - You're most likely never going to be completely secure and be able to keep your privacy, private. It's just the way things work now a days. As everything gets smarter there are more and more ways for what we'd like to keep private to become public....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrox3 View Post
    Just so you're aware, I'm not trying to troll or be a ****, but paranoia is kinda a big deal. No one can hack into your Playbook's GPS and hack your coordinate's and track you down. I just hope you realize that ANYONE can look you up on the internet and find out where you live just by having your Name and where you're likely to live, just by doing a Yellow Pages search.

Also, every time you post on a website you're IP is put into a database. So, unless your using a proxy or you've tunneled yourself. In other words, any webpage you visit day to day could potentially find out where you live just using that.

To end this off - You're most likely never going to be completely secure and be able to keep your privacy, private. It's just the way things work now a days. As everything gets smarter there are more and more ways for what we'd like to keep private to become public....
    I tend to agree with this.

Most people (myself included) are really not that interesting as far as tracking just to know where they are.

The only value that one may be to most "trackers" is targeted advertising. Meh, big deal. I'd rather see ads that may be interesting to me, than ads that aren't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by hootyhoo; 11-30-2011 at 11:03 AM.