Hello everyone!
    Okay I am over the fact that BB10 is a no go for PlayBook. And I completely understand why Mr. Heins did that.
    But the question still remains on my mind, will we get another OS update, I mean a real OS update (not just bug fixes) with added features, better performance, etc etc.?
    Blackberry said that they would continue to support the Playbook. But does that mean they will provide customer support, FAQ's, forums on their website and all? Maybe 'supporting' the PlayBook doesn't check the box of software updates?
    What do you guys think? Would you like another update or are you just okay with the tablet as it is now?

Well, according to me, this tablet deserves atleast one last fightback before giving up.
    07-15-13 11:07 AM
    Im happy with my playbooks...yes, BOTH of them! I was disappointing to hear that bb10 will not be coming but I have no real issues with the current OS.

For me, I would love to see supported updates, especially with bridge.
    07-15-13 11:10 AM
    Hello everyone!
    Okay I am over the fact that BB10 is a no go for PlayBook. And I completely understand why Mr. Heins did that.
    But the question still remains on my mind, will we get another OS update, I mean a real OS update (not just bug fixes) with added features, better performance, etc etc.?
    Blackberry said that they would continue to support the Playbook. But does that mean they will provide customer support, FAQ's, forums on their website and all? Maybe 'supporting' the PlayBook doesn't check the box of software updates?
    What do you guys think? Would you like another update or are you just okay with the tablet as it is now?

Well, according to me, this tablet deserves atleast one last fightback before giving up.
    No one knows, this is 100% pure speculation, literally no one around here can give you any concrete information on this...
    07-15-13 11:10 AM
    Hello everyone!

That's a $64000 question being discuss on several threads. Given the commitment issue BB has, I would not hold my breath.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    07-15-13 11:15 AM
    I doubt we're going to get anything besides maybe a 2.1.X release to deal with a security or serious issue.

Hate to say it, but PlayBook seems dead except for final liquidations, specific corporate sales of LTE model and limited technical support.
    southlander likes this.
    07-15-13 11:21 AM
    No official word other than NO BB10, and yes to future "support" - which could just be warranty issues.

I would "assume" that Kevin and company asked about this and a LOT of other things in their meeting with THOR last week. On Saturday he said "we have a lot more coming over the next few days" so maybe his back at work today getting ready to let us know what is REALLY going on.

My "gut" tells me that no work was done on any future PlayBook OS upgrades after our last one back in what November. Because everyone assumed that it was a dead OS and that BB10 would soon be replacing it right?
    07-15-13 11:25 AM
    If we pursue it with BB, maybe they will see fit to issue one more version of OS that will correct known bugs and perhaps add a few new features like a better browser, ability to better control hibernation (my main beef), etc, etc

BB have alienated a lot of previously avid supporters. If made abundantly cleat of this, perhaps they will wave an olive branch to bring us back into fold.
    07-15-13 11:32 AM
    I would hope there would at least be one final update.. I suspect that I need to give my PB a tune up but it is a struggle just to get it to sync/back-up with my PC, transferring a file wirelessly is nearing impossible and trying to just connect it to my system as a periferal drive to copy a file over that way will mount it as a drive, let me start to copy then the connection craps out and the transfer fails..
    Chris H likes this.
    07-15-13 11:37 AM
    My own personal speculation - we will see nothing new. I don't even expect "bug" fixes if anyone can define a limited amount of "bugs" that need fixing.
    07-15-13 12:06 PM
    Im waiting for OS 69.71.69.69.69
    07-15-13 12:25 PM
    No........
    07-15-13 12:34 PM
    IMHO we never had OS1 or OS2.

We got several beta versions of OS1.
    MrNutt, krox1105, bodjor and 1 others like this.
    07-15-13 12:49 PM
    Minor update that give us usb otg, bt file transferm better file system and equalizzer for head phones is the stuff I'm praying for
    slparry and axllebeer like this.
    07-15-13 01:17 PM
    07-15-13 01:48 PM
    My own personal speculation - we will see nothing new. I don't even expect "bug" fixes if anyone can define a limited amount of "bugs" that need fixing.
    We will get nothing because Thor has turned his back on us. I don't understand any speculation about this or that improvement. They are done with PlayBook.
    07-15-13 01:52 PM
    blackberry lost me on the playbook issue. I have spent a few days with a surface rt as a replacement and it works great if you are going to junk the z10 as well (as I am doing and moving to one of the new nokia's - thanks TH). A much as I wanted to support bb, being spat on and laughed at by BB management is not my idea of a good time. So if you are like me and are moving away from bb as a result of this I have found windows mobile/rt/pro to be a good work platform however if one wishes to keep their z10 or q10 do not go for an rt version of windows go for the pro - that way you have bb link as well.
    07-15-13 04:14 PM
    For my part since this debacle i've bought a nexus 4.Which has twice the spec of any BB10 device for half the price.It will have BBM soon and has a surprisingly slick vanilla android OS.Thanks Thor I would never have considered this before!!!
    07-15-13 05:40 PM
    I have just moved to a new nokia and it really is very good, not easy saying goodbye to my blackberry, but was just so fed up with having to wait for anything to happen, and as stated the surface could be my next move, I just see the playbook has run out of steam and luck.
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-15-13 06:03 PM
    there will be no updates for the OS2,1
    no more apps, what you have you got
    BB can not even release the OS2,1 to become an open source, as it has a lot of the B10 kernels

I looked at the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 with windows 8, you can get it for about $599
    Battery last around 9 hours, I wanted the MS surface Pro, but it has terrible battery life of 4.5 hours
    I can run my MS exchange email plus have access to all my files though 365 within Outlook
    cost around $12 per month for the exchange server and the software

will stick with a BB 7,1 phone because of the cheap BIS and BES email, can get my email internationally for $5 per week though the BB own network
    the new BB 9315 has a WiFi hotspot, 3G, but its ok to tether with the Lenovo tablet for email
    the BB 9315 is $169 fully paid and unlocked on T-Mo USA
    T-Mo USA has great all inclusive plans now

any other smartphone gets email through the carrier dataplan, thats ok when you only in the US, but outside you need international roaming
    A friend came back from 2 weeks vacation abroad and had a $550 phone bill
    07-15-13 10:09 PM
    We aren't getting anything other than "technical support", which consists of a lone tech support person telling users to reboot their device if they have problems. Failing that, an OS reload, or failing that, just throw the damn thing out the window and buy a Nexus 7

If Nokia can still roll out updates for a dead Symbian, why can't BBRY do the same? BBRY has a lot more cash than Nokia but the overall prognosis is worse.
    07-15-13 10:31 PM
    We aren't getting anything other than "technical support", which consists of a lone tech support person telling users to reboot their device if they have problems. Failing that, an OS reload, or failing that, just throw the damn thing out the window and buy a Nexus 7

If Nokia can still roll out updates for a dead Symbian, why can't BBRY do the same? BBRY has a lot more cash than Nokia but the overall prognosis is worse.
    Because they obviously don't care and are moving on as swiftly as possible.
    07-16-13 05:23 AM
    Moving on as swiftly as possible towards irrelevance and bankruptcy
    07-16-13 05:30 AM
    I imagine at best we will just get a few bug fixes or the infrequent "performance enhancement".

IOW, more of the same. Probably just a couple and then that will be it. My "been burned too many times" side thinks at that point, they will keep the PB development team around doing nothing with full pay. You know, the way they did for years with the storm 1 OS developer.

How far has their stock price sunk now? By the way.... The shareholders are the ones the company is truly beholden to. They may have just patted Kevin on the head and gave him a doggie treat so he continues being their cheerleader but the institutional investors..... Oh, they will be a different story.
    07-16-13 05:38 AM
    Institutional investors are looking at more than a very poorly performing tablet.
    The death of the PlayBook impacts a small number of people - really those here - and isn't important enough to even warrant a statement at the AGM.

Sorry, but that's the way it is. No more updates. No bridge miracles.

Keep Moving (just not sure which direction).
    WeAreNotAlone and Sumando like this.
    07-16-13 05:41 AM
    Institutional investors are looking at more than a very poorly performing tablet.
    The death of the PlayBook impacts a small number of people - really those here - and isn't important enough to even warrant a statement at the AGM.

Sorry, but that's the way it is. No more updates. No bridge miracles.

Keep Moving (just not sure which direction).
    Sad but true $84million loss,selling less phones this quarter than last year despite BB10,having to already discount the Z10.Playbook falls into a"let's forget that as soon as" category for a company who need to make something happen to avoid heading for the rocks.Its such a shame for the playbook it had such potential.Maybe Steve Wosniak was right they should have abandoned QNX and gone Android!
    07-16-13 05:57 AM
59 123