Ok guys eyes down and look in. YES I did actually try the OS. Luckily my wife has a Samsung SIII which is basically an iPhone with Samsung written on it. Her sim card fits so I tried it.

Having taken the (very flimsy plastic back off the phone) sim card inserted and away we go. Please do be careful taking the back off. I probably am just used to my robust Torch 9860 with its nice metal rear cover. However having activated the screen and spent time setting it up, the first thing I noticed that it's basically a mini playbook. Gesture swipe for everything on the screen, smooth slick just like the pb. Linked effortlessly into the net using wifi hotspot and the browser is very fast and smooth. It would be because it doesn't use the bis and compress data before it arrives on your phone. Great for speed but be prepared to increase your data plan significantly.

Of course not having a bb sim account card inserted so no bridge between the two but don't panic because the Z10 doesn't bridge fully either. It's a long story but my son has a bb and I stole, yes by this time I was that incensed that I stole his sim card and trimmed it to fit the Z10.

The good news is it fit! The bad news is no sms, no calendar, no contacts in fact everything you've all come to know and love has been taken away. It may be temporary but it's still not there and no amount of wishing and hoping will make it work.

I could have gone further for you guys and tested the photo and video capabilities but I must be absolutely honest by this time I was severely pis*** off.

The end result is that for some unknown reason my son likes it. He says it works just like his mother's Samsung SIII. Therefore it didn't get returned as I had already butchered his sim card, he is now using the Z10.

Everyone is happy apart from me. I am still looking for a replacement for my torch.
    Thanks for going a bit more into coherent detail about your experience. Glad your son likes it.
    02-04-13 09:13 AM
    I think the lack of Bridge and USB sync is annoying a lot of people.

Regarding the Bridge, the Playbook has not received an update since last July - ever hopeful in a release soon, or when BB10 hits the Playbook we will see these functions restored when the Playbook "learns" how to interact with the Hub and Reminders.
    02-04-13 09:17 AM
    ...The bad news is no sms, no calendar, no contacts in fact everything you've all come to know and love has been taken away.
    Personally all I use Bridge for is an Internet connection for the Playbook when necessary. Twice in the last year but very useful both times.
    For Email, Contacts, Calendar and SMS I use my Torch rather than connecting to that same Torch and trying to read them on the Playbook.

I think the lack of Bridge and USB sync is annoying a lot of people.
    What is this lack of USB sync you speak of?
    02-04-13 09:58 AM
    Syncing calendars and contacts to the phone using Blackberry Desktop Manager rather than Over The Air.
    02-04-13 10:11 AM
    Personally all I use Bridge for is an Internet connection for the Playbook when necessary. Twice in the last year but very useful both times.
    For Email, Contacts, Calendar and SMS I use my Torch rather than connecting to that same Torch and trying to read them on the Playbook.

I thought that way for years but very quickly worked out that it's easier to read and type on a screen the size of the pb as opposed to a phone. As I am simple, I like to keep things simple in my life.

The thing that really really worries me is this is not a simple new model release by, let's be technical correct, BlackBerry, it's their last ditched attempt at success or failure!

After all that has passed before, I really did expect more from BlackBerry than a plastic copy of the iPhone. I'm sure the corporate brigade will love to be seen with this thing, or perhaps not!
    02-04-13 10:30 AM
    Is thus guy drunk? O.o "Sure I like Brandy but..."

The SIM card is a nonexistent issue. If you want to stay in your technology bubble, have fun with really old phones...
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    02-04-13 10:37 AM
    I thought that way for years but very quickly worked out that it's easier to read and type on a screen the size of the pb as opposed to a phone. As I am simple, I like to keep things simple in my life.
    That's funny. Those are the same reasons I like to use the phone rather than the Playbook.
    I can adjust the font size on the phone so it's easier to read. Can't do that on the Playbook.
    I am used to typing with one thumb so that's not an issue.
    02-04-13 11:15 AM
    That's funny. Those are the same reasons I like to use the phone rather than the Playbook.
    I can adjust the font size on the phone so it's easier to read. Can't do that on the Playbook.
    I am used to typing with one thumb so that's not an issue.
    As we are all getting silly, think about this then you edificated person wot you are. What if you could alter the font, text size, colour and you know all of the rest of the things that your simple phone can do but your pb can't! Would you use it then?

By the way do you like pate? It's just that I'm planning a party and I wondered would pate be liked.

Don't get excited, your not invited, I just thought I'd ask.

I love this forum!
    02-04-13 11:42 AM
    Honestly, no I probably would not use the Playbook for email even with the modifications.
    My Blackberry email is just work related. My responses are usually short, ie: Yes, No, Bite me.

Not a fan of p�t� and wouldn't come to your party if you did invite me.
    I would crash the party though. What's the address?
    02-04-13 01:20 PM
    Honestly, no I probably would not use the Playbook for email even with the modifications.
    My Blackberry email is just work related. My responses are usually short, ie: Yes, No, Bite me.

Not a fan of p�t� and wouldn't come to your party if you did invite me.
    I would crash the party though. What's the address?
    I retract my statement. It was the phrase "bite me" that did it. Why you would email that to someone is something I don't think I want to know but you are definitely invited. If you don't like pate I'll get you some peanut butter and black puddings!
    02-04-13 02:11 PM
    Is thus guy drunk? O.o "Sure I like Brandy but..."

The SIM card is a nonexistent issue. If you want to stay in your technology bubble, have fun with really old phones...
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Whoooaaaa up there partner. Get off your horse and drink your milk! What a plethora of nice big long words that was. The only part I understood was that you do like brandy. For that reason sinner, I forgive you your sins and bid you welcome into never never land.
    02-04-13 02:16 PM
    Whoooaaaa up there partner. Get off your horse and drink your milk!
    The hell I will...

edit: would you believe h e l l appears to be in the swear filter?
    What a plethora of nice big long words that was. The only part I understood was that you do like brandy. For that reason sinner, I forgive you your sins and bid you welcome into never never land.
    What about Baileys? I hear that civilised people like Baileys.

And I ain't going near Jacko's play park. Not now, not ever...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-04-13 04:20 PM

Well I, like S.O.M use the bridge apps constantly. Being able to access those phone apps from the pad is awesome! I do mail, SMS, memos, calender, and BBM on my pad all day long (including right now as I'm on this forum). I never have to take my phone off the charger or out of its holster except for mms and phone calls and I NEVER have to worry about losing PIM data if my playbook is lost or stolen. I had hoped that the later two functions (mms and calls) would be the next "upgrade" to bridge. I LOVE it the way it is, but to loose those functions with the Z10 is very disappointing. I can only hope the plan is to restore these functions and maybe more.

The USB OTG (On The Go) they're talking about is what allows you to plug a flash drive or similar device into the PB and transfer or launch files. That's the short answer anyway.

Pass the Bourbon brother S.O.M. I'm ready to "unwind".

Hoot
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-04-13 06:57 PM
    I've got to believe we are going to get at least what we had when BB10 is released for the Playbook.
    I am a programmer, not for the Playbook yet, and I know how difficult it can be to write backward compatible software and still be ready for future enhancements.
    If that is the case it would be smart for BB to just say so. I sometimes get the feeling that they think their customers are too dumb to understand.

I know what USB OTG is. I wonder if we'll ever see that on the Playbook?
    The USB loss in this case was syncing through the Desktop app.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-04-13 07:20 PM
    and the OP point is what?? you are disappointed with the BB10 or Crackberry... you tell quite the sad tale but with no reasons to back it up..... not all devices are meant for everyone... as for advertizing... if you had even bothered to do any research at all... you would have discovered the main advertizing starts after the actual launch in each country... do not see Apple promoting any product they produce till they start to sell them.... I do believe Apple is a modearately succesful company promorting this way......so again what is the source of your disappointment???? Oddly I for one have no desire to run out and buy a first generation phone and OS.... been down that road too many times.... will wait 3 to 6 months... see where the land lies and make a discission then... too old for the bleeding edge..... lastly... why to users have this overwhelming need to share their disapointment??? if the phone does not work simply take it back and find something that does....
    02-04-13 07:53 PM
    LOL, wow, a sim card. I was waiting for something a little different of a complaint then that...
    02-04-13 08:02 PM
    and the OP point is what?? you are disappointed with the BB10 or Crackberry... you tell quite the sad tale but with no reasons to back it up..... not all devices are meant for everyone... as for advertizing... if you had even bothered to do any research at all... you would have discovered the main advertizing starts after the actual launch in each country... do not see Apple promoting any product they produce till they start to sell them.... I do believe Apple is a modearately succesful company promorting this way......so again what is the source of your disappointment???? Oddly I for one have no desire to run out and buy a first generation phone and OS.... been down that road too many times.... will wait 3 to 6 months... see where the land lies and make a discission then... too old for the bleeding edge..... lastly... why to users have this overwhelming need to share their disapointment??? if the phone does not work simply take it back and find something that does....
    I did! I reverted back to my torch! My son now has the Z10 as I stated.
    02-05-13 09:08 AM
    I've got to believe we are going to get at least what we had when BB10 is released for the Playbook.
    I am a programmer, not for the Playbook yet, and I know how difficult it can be to write backward compatible software and still be ready for future enhancements.
    If that is the case it would be smart for BB to just say so. I sometimes get the feeling that they think their customers are too dumb to understand.

I know what USB OTG is. I wonder if we'll ever see that on the Playbook?
    The USB loss in this case was syncing through the Desktop app.
    I understand and I'm with you brother. Sorry about the USB misunderstanding. Not being able to sync with the laptop using USB would suck. I've never used that sync function. I just use the desktop software for backing up everything but media. I drag-and-drop my media files to back them up. Being able to drag-and-drop (or copy and paste) is a GREAT function. Just another reason I LOVE BlackBerry!

Hoot
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-05-13 04:08 PM
    LOL, wow, a sim card. I was waiting for something a little different of a complaint then that...
    Ok then my brandy bottles empty again. So you don't have to wait any longer!
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-05-13 04:18 PM
69 123