I travel often and take my PB with me frequently, so I amass a wide range of wifi connections. It is ridiculous that when I come home, the PB decides to disable the one that I use the most (my home wifi) making it a good 5-10 minute chore to go through the other wifi networks, delete them, re-enable my home wifi connection and connect to it. It's pretty dumb to decide to disable the one connection that you're connecting to once you hit your limit - why can't you disable any of the other ones instead that I'm not currently using? What is the point of disabling wifi connections - to save on storage room?

On the contrary, my Blackberry 9700 is much smarter and more intuitive with how it works. It will tell me the maximum number of wifi profiles has been reached, but will let me connect to the wifi network anyway, probably randomly disabling another one or letting me temporarily use the wifi network.

I know it's nitpicking, but for a person who travels and uses a new wifi network almost every day it's really annoying. Is there no way to "protect" a wifi network so it never gets disabled - ie my home, office, girlfriend's home, etc...
    08-08-12 09:56 PM
    I usually just delete a wifi profile immediately after using it if I know I wont be needing it again for another six months or so. I travel a lot too. I just like tidy lists.
    rcm1301, EricB1968 and axeman1000 like this.
    08-08-12 10:45 PM
    You can also delete saved connections that you no longer use and probably won't use again.
    08-08-12 10:49 PM
    it would be nice if there was a check box to have the device forget the connection on disconnect? or maybe only remember it for 24 hrs?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-08-12 11:02 PM
    If you travel alot, upgrading to the new PlayBook 4G is a really good option. WiFi sure is useful, but with the varying amount of Routers and technology in the market, getting the process streamlined is going to be difficult.
    08-09-12 12:20 AM
    I travel frequently in the states and into Canada with my work PB and except for a couple of instances I've never had an issue connecting with the several networks I encounter. I've actually had more problems when I was using laptops. I'm not saying that some don't have problems but it's obvious that not all PBs do for some reason. I'm more suspectful of settings than software. We have 6 other PBs at work besides mine,that travel and only one has caused us any problems with wifi. That stopped after the 2.0 update.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-09-12 11:27 AM
    my playbook has nothing but problem with the wi-fi. who ever wrote the program for it is an . my galaxy s3 i9300 is all i take with me now, the playbook is now a book end.
    LOL we had a service client get irate and frustrated last week because HIS S3 wouldn't connect to OUR network. I don't know if it was his settings, software or firmware, but nothing he tried worked. That doesn't make his S3 a bad device, it just means it's not perfect. NO device is perfect.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-09-12 11:36 AM
    If you travel alot, upgrading to the new PlayBook 4G is a really good option. WiFi sure is useful, but with the varying amount of Routers and technology in the market, getting the process streamlined is going to be difficult.
    Roaming charges? Anyone?

Lots of reasons to go 4G, just not the one you mentioned, IMHO...
    08-09-12 11:39 AM
    I would love it if, i select saved networks only, it would keep that setting until i select something else.
    08-09-12 03:40 PM
    I keep mine on" Available networks" and have quite a few saved. All I have to do is turn the WIFI on and the PB just connects to the one in range with no problems.
    08-09-12 04:18 PM
    I usually just delete a wifi profile immediately after using it if I know I wont be needing it again for another six months or so. I travel a lot too. I just like tidy lists.
    The point is that you shouldn't need to do that. Why should we adjust to RIM, they should be adjusting to us :/
    08-09-12 04:27 PM
    The point is that you shouldn't need to do that. Why should we adjust to RIM, they should be adjusting to us :/
    Why should they be adjusting to us? Isn't it their product? Okay, we buy it and then it's ours to make work, but it's still their product. As has been said in this thread, no product is perfect. You get what is going to fulfill your needs the most and work around what isn't convenient. I sometimes wonder whether the modern consumer ever deals with a small thing called life.
    08-09-12 05:47 PM
    Yeah, I'm experiencing WiFi (WPA2) for the first-time, with a saved network @ restaurant I frequent... driving me crazy!
    08-09-12 06:06 PM
    Take that argument to the iother side and see what the results are there. You have no clue how good you have it by supposedly "conforming" to rim. If anything you have conformed to the limitations of a tablet.
    08-09-12 07:04 PM
    Roaming charges? Anyone?

Lots of reasons to go 4G, just not the one you mentioned, IMHO...
    Well, in my country don't get charged for Roaming on BB Network until I'm on my own network which is almost every major state.. I'm not aware of roaming charges for your country so maybe my advice is not applicable..

If it's the same in Canada and States.. then OP can travel with an extra SIM.
    08-10-12 01:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD