Anyone who lives outside of the states like me and has been looking for a way to watch American content or anywhere around the world, well I found a great solution. While it might not be free ($4.99/month) its 100% worth it. All you do is change your DNS settings (provided once you sign up) and that's it, doesn't effect your connection speed or anything else. I set it up on my home router and i can watch anything from any country on any device connected to my router like laptop, Xbox, and iPad. Very easy and quick to setup, took me 2 minutes to get it working literally. The website is Unblock Us - smarter faster VPN. You get a free week to try it out and after that it's $4.99/month. Good luck to all and enjoy

Proof I live outside of the US

Streaming ESPN live

Streaming on CBS.com

American Netflix working (no need for an US Netflix account)

Last edited by luqman24; 06-19-12 at 06:44 PM.
    rsmit107, lcjr, PatrickMJS and 1 others like this.
    06-19-12 06:29 PM
    Been using this service myself since last summer solely for Netflix and I can confirm it works exactly as advertised without issue and is well worth the fee.

So much more content with U.S. Netflix vs. what we get in Canada. Newer movies, more popular/blockbuster titles and shows etc. Sure I'm basically paying double the cost of a Netflix subscription in the end, but like I said its worth it, at least for me.
    06-19-12 11:27 PM
    Been using this service myself since last summer solely for Netflix and I can confirm it works exactly as advertised without issue and is well worth the fee.

So much more content with U.S. Netflix vs. what we get in Canada. Newer movies, more popular/blockbuster titles and shows etc. Sure I'm basically paying double the cost of a Netflix subscription in the end, but like I said its worth it, at least for me.
    Agreed. And not only Netflix, any steaming sites in the US like CBS, FOX, amazon prime, ect. The only problem is that I can't download the Hulu app on my iPhone and brothers iPad but that's nowhere near a DealBreaker for me. I hope netflix and Hulu allow the Playbook as one of the streaming devices soon. It kills me that they still haven't allowed it lol.
    PatrickMJS and sputneek like this.
    06-20-12 12:52 AM
    Would this work as proxy for apps like TabletTV or other tv apps on playbook?
    06-20-12 10:55 AM
    Would this work as proxy for apps like TabletTV or other tv apps on playbook?
    Nope no proxies, just change ur dns settings and ur good to go. You could either do it per device or ur router, I did it on my router which is a lot easier than setting up on each device and now all my connected devices see the changes at once.
    06-20-12 11:55 AM
    Got Pandora Radio to work here too.

Last edited by luqman24; 06-20-12 at 07:42 PM.
    06-20-12 07:38 PM
    The only problem is that I can't download the Hulu app on my iPhone and brothers iPad

If this is a free app, you should have no problems.

Open iTunes on your PC or Mac , go to the iTunes store, and sign out of your iTunes account.

Then switch your country to U.S. for the iTunes store and create a U.S. iTunes account with a bogus U.S. address (I think you'll have to pick a legit zip code, I used 90210 lol) - You'll need a different email address than your main account, and credit card is optional, obviously not needed for free apps and they would flag you as Canadian if you entered a Canadian card number / address anyway. Once signed in to the U.S. iTunes store you should be able to download any free apps you can find to your PC / Mac. Once the apps are in iTunes on your PC / Mac, you can plug in your iphone, ipad, etc and transfer the app to your device.

I did this for the Skype app before it was available in Canada, and more recently for the iTunes movie trailers app (which kicks btw). Only minor pain is that when these apps need to be updated you have to enter your U.S. itunes email / password instead of the usual one - but it's not that bad and updates can still be done from the device.

Now.... if only someone from down south could help me get the HBO go service going - that requires an HBO cable / satellite subscription that they verify some how...
    06-20-12 09:50 PM
    Nope no proxies, just change ur dns settings and ur good to go. You could either do it per device or ur router, I did it on my router which is a lot easier than setting up on each device and now all my connected devices see the changes at once.
    I've tried setting this up on my PlayBook, but cannot get it to work. I can connect to the network wirelessly, but cannot connect to the Internet.

Unfortunately I'm dealing with a Telus crippled modem so i can't change the router settings.

Anyone on Telus able to get this working for PlayBook itself?
    06-21-12 08:32 PM

Open iTunes on your PC or Mac , go to the iTunes store, and sign out of your iTunes account.

Then switch your country to U.S. for the iTunes store and create a U.S. iTunes account with a bogus U.S. address (I think you'll have to pick a legit zip code, I used 90210 lol) - You'll need a different email address than your main account, and credit card is optional, obviously not needed for free apps and they would flag you as Canadian if you entered a Canadian card number / address anyway. Once signed in to the U.S. iTunes store you should be able to download any free apps you can find to your PC / Mac. Once the apps are in iTunes on your PC / Mac, you can plug in your iphone, ipad, etc and transfer the app to your device.

I did this for the Skype app before it was available in Canada, and more recently for the iTunes movie trailers app (which kicks btw). Only minor pain is that when these apps need to be updated you have to enter your U.S. itunes email / password instead of the usual one - but it's not that bad and updates can still be done from the device.

Now.... if only someone from down south could help me get the HBO go service going - that requires an HBO cable / satellite subscription that they verify some how...
    My computer broke last week so I won't be able to create a US iTunes account till I get a new one or use a friends PC to make one. And I don't mind switching between the two accounts as long as it works.

And as for HBO GO, Ive noticed the same problem with TBS.com and watching the ESPN channels at watch ESPN where you have to sign in with your ISP account, hopefully this doesn't become a trend and other networks don't follow suit.
    Last edited by luqman24; 06-21-12 at 09:13 PM.
    06-21-12 09:11 PM
    I've tried setting this up on my PlayBook, but cannot get it to work. I can connect to the network wirelessly, but cannot connect to the Internet.

Unfortunately I'm dealing with a Telus crippled modem so i can't change the router settings.

Anyone on Telus able to get this working for PlayBook itself?
    Oh unless you can get into your router settings, you won't be able to set it up on your router. Also I've noticed the same problem with my Playbook as well where you can't change the wifi settings which is why I set it up with my router and also it's easier than setting up per device. But if you're still having trouble, it shows you how to set it up on the website Unblock Us - smarter faster VPN
    06-22-12 12:14 PM
    Changed my router settings as described and boom, my Netflix account suddenly shows the US content. Plus now I can watch shows from the US tv networks. They all broadcast up here and I pay to get them over my satellite dish so I don't know why I shouldn't be able to get at the same shows on their websites.
    luqman24 likes this.
    06-25-12 10:09 AM
    I just leave it signed in with my US account and when an app I've downloaded using my Canadian account needs to be updated, it automatically pops up my Canadian account email address then I enter the password and boom, it updates. Never had to go into the settings and switch accounts, just automatically asks which account the app was first downloaded on.
    07-03-12 01:01 AM

You can use the address of an Apple Store in the US. I have done it for my nephews. And when creating an account, you don't need to use a credit card.
    07-03-12 01:49 AM
    I've used this service for over a year as well and it's great.
    07-03-12 03:33 AM
    Can i make use of this service on my playbook using my torch 9810 as hotspot? If so, how please
    07-03-12 05:29 AM
    Can i make use of this service on my playbook using my torch 9810 as hotspot? If so, how please
    Since the mobile network settings can't be edited, it wont work unfortunately. Only with any wifi connection you're connected to will work though.
    07-03-12 11:46 AM
    Do either of these work in conjunction with the PlayBook? I've heard of people here in Canada using them on their desktop/iPad with success:

Free VPN for iPhone, Android, Mac and Windows for secure and private browsing, accessing blocked sites and unblocking Facebook and Youtube - Hotspot Shield

tunlr.net
    07-29-12 03:49 AM
    Do either of these work in conjunction with the PlayBook? I've heard of people here in Canada using them on their desktop/iPad with success:

Free VPN for iPhone, Android, Mac and Windows for secure and private browsing, accessing blocked sites and unblocking Facebook and Youtube - Hotspot Shield

tunlr.net
    The first link doesn't work because there isn't a hotspot shield app for the Playbook yet unless the Android app can be sideloaded which I don't have a clue how to do.

As for the second one, it works but doesn't work with WatchESPN which I use a lot and maybe some other sites too so I ditched it and decided to stick with unblock-us.
    07-29-12 01:57 PM
    But that being said you can watch these shows or Movies on other websites as everyone does this and they don't have the time to go after you or even bother. Even in the United States people access sites to watch videos that aren't legal too.. I used Blockless to watch this shows in Canada
    09-07-12 02:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD