I hope the OP was not hurt by the original stupid post. If not a kid that needs to grow up, then a sad or ill person. OP thanks for your post for it was good to be once again reminded of RIM's shortcomings.
    We all started at the beginning. Nobody came here knowing everything. I'd like to see a bit more humility and helpfulness on CB, especially with newcomers. There are no stupid questions, only mean stupid answers.
    Mecca EL and David in Durham like this.
    11-03-12 07:04 AM
    In case my post was confusing please see the edited version on page 1
    11-03-12 07:38 AM
    Actually, my daughter was on her PlayBook and removed the video app from the dock. There were still 3 other icons on the dock and when she proceeded to put the video icon back on the dock it disappeared. So to say it only happened because the dock was completely empty of icons is a load of BS.
    In order to get the video app back I had to remove ALL icons from the pb and restart it. Now her dock is empty as putting any icons there will cause it to disappear but at least she has the video app back as well as everything else.
    Wow that's really bizarre. I've taken apps on and off the dock repeatedly and have never had any of them disappear. I'll think twice before I do it again.
    11-03-12 11:48 AM
    [QUOTE=playa_thing;7708669]I didn't realize this forum was such an angry place. Sorry to have offended everyone. Thanks for the flames on an innocent post. Hate to be the one to tell you but when your device says sql_array error, then IT IS A BUG! QUOTE]

Innocent post? Come on OP, did you really expect to throw in a jab like "[/I didn't really mind because the Playbook has become a glorified video player and camera since I got my Samsung Galaxy S3.]" on a PB forum and not receive a few negative posts? As soon as I read that I knew there would be some flames to follow. Don't act so but* hurt and "innocent ", you knew it was coming.

As to the bug, yes it's known and several posts on it as well as warnings and some recommended resolutions. And I agree, it should be addressed. I also agree that just because it's not a common issue doesn't mean it shouldn't be resolved as soon as possible. It's a shame you got hit by it and I hope you get it resolved. Just because it doesn't effect most of us doesn't lessen the problems and frustrations it causes others.

And since you bring up the S3, let's not forget it's bugs, especially the huge memory and remote wipe bug. A customer of mine lost all data, not just some icons, from his S3 because of the wipe bug, as did many. How's that for a bug, a total data wipe of your device. Samsung did put out a patch to correct it, but many are still having issues. Check the forums. All devices get bugs, but that doesn't excuse manufacturers from resolving them quickly and RIM does need to deal with this now.
    sputneek likes this.
    11-03-12 02:45 PM
    It has been posted several times before that you shouldn't clear the dock of all apps. Your problems started and ended there.
    The problem began when co-op students and interns were hired for BlackBerry Tablet OS development. Software development and usability testing are not rocket science nor neuroscience. Unfortunately, working with the low-hanging fruit of software development and more generally information technology workers has taught me not to expect much from 99% of the people employed in these areas. Considering many people purchase the BlackBerry PlayBook as a toy for their children such user gaffs are to be expected and should have been anticipated.
    11-03-12 03:01 PM
    Does it work "completely?" I thought someone posted that while all the icons reappear on reboot, you still canNOT place any icons on the Dock. The dock remains a broken "black hole" swallowing any icons moved to it after the reboot? True or False (or make it modified true/false - explain your answer!
    I can confirm it works "completely". Just did it twice on my gf's PB and have done it once before on mine. These are both running 1088 from fresh installs of 1032 via desktop manager. Here's some screens.

All icons gone:
    Warning: Playbook OS Bug deletes default app icons-img_00000001.jpg

After restart:
    Warning: Playbook OS Bug deletes default app icons-img_00000002.jpg

Re-added video store to dock:
    Warning: Playbook OS Bug deletes default app icons-img_00000003.jpg
    11-03-12 03:39 PM
    I can confirm it works "completely". Just did it twice on my gf's PB and have done it once before on mine. These are both running 1088 from fresh installs of 1032 via desktop manager. Here's some screens.

All icons gone:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000001.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	124573

After restart:

Name:	IMG_00000002.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	124574

Re-added video store to dock:

Name:	IMG_00000003.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	124575
    Good to know as some were reporting that they could no longer add apps to their docks as they would simply disappear again. Does make me wonder why tho...the Playbook seems to give different results to different users. Think I'll stick with leaving my dock alone for now.
    11-03-12 03:50 PM
    Unfortunately, my daughters PlayBook is one of those that the icons did not reappear on the dock nor were we able to re-add any to the dock without them disappearing. She does not seem to care so I am not worrying about it.
    I am pretty sure I did update her PlayBook but just to be sure I will double check it and if not will update and see if the problem still persists.
    11-04-12 01:50 PM
    I didn't realize this forum was such an angry place. Sorry to have offended everyone. Thanks for the flames on an innocent post. Hate to be the one to tell you but when your device says sql_array error, then IT IS A BUG!
    Angry? Nobody is angry at your post and sure nobody wanted to hurt your feelings but did you honestly sit around and think about what your doing? Why would anyone load the dock and unload all the icons into nothingness? It's like drinking a gallon of bleach to see if it would hurt you. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. It's not your fault, test scores mean nothing, your a special person and the world likes you. There you okay now.
    11-04-12 04:24 PM
    Angry? Nobody is angry at your post and sure nobody wanted to hurt your feelings but did you honestly sit around and think about what your doing? Why would anyone load the dock and unload all the icons into nothingness? It's like drinking a gallon of bleach to see if it would hurt you. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. It's not your fault, test scores mean nothing, your a special person and the world likes you. There you okay now.
    geez lay off the guy. I did the same thing and apparently, so did many others. The only reason I unloaded the dock was because I wanted to see what it looked like without any icons.
    FF22 and Sabhie Qadeer like this.
    11-04-12 04:46 PM
    Unfortunately, my daughters PlayBook is one of those that the icons did not reappear on the dock nor were we able to re-add any to the dock without them disappearing. She does not seem to care so I am not worrying about it.
    I am pretty sure I did update her PlayBook but just to be sure I will double check it and if not will update and see if the problem still persists.
    maybe you missed an icon? I know I missed some the first time around. just throwing anything out there to see what will stick.
    11-04-12 04:50 PM
    The ravings of mad men should be disregarded. At least his user name is accurate.
    11-04-12 04:55 PM
    How many times have you tried this? And pretty cool and Thanks if it works!
    Does it work "completely?" I thought someone posted that while all the icons reappear on reboot, you still canNOT place any icons on the Dock. The dock remains a broken "black hole" swallowing any icons moved to it after the reboot? True or False (or make it modified true/false - explain your answer!
    I agree and love the "black hole" reference
    I hope the OP was not hurt by the original (that now seems to have been removed) stupid reply post. If not a kid that needs to grow up, then a sad or ill person. OP thanks for your post for it was good to be once again reminded of RIM's shortcomings.
    I tried that many times on many playbooks and it worked all the time on all OS 2.x , trick is to drop all icons on dock, send them to blackhole and then RESTART playbook
    01-09-13 03:41 PM
    That dock becomes "blackhole" when left empty... but when it swallow all the nearby objects and restarted, it acts like a "wormhole" i.e. it brings you to other dimension where swallowed objects reappeared...

(Side note: this is one of the advantage of having more than one PB... you can experiment with "blackhole" :-))
    FF22 and Sabhie Qadeer like this.
    01-09-13 05:39 PM
    Add me to the list of idiots who act before they think. I can also no longer use the dock as it was intended I got the apps back by uninstalling them thru app world and reinstalling them, but they weren't default apps that I had lost. And the dock is still a black hole after a restart and hard shutdown. Any other ways besides a wipe to restore the dock? Would adding a default icon into the dock restore things?
    01-25-13 11:16 PM
    Add me to the list of idiots who act before they think. I can also no longer use the dock as it was intended I got the apps back by uninstalling them thru app world and reinstalling them, but they weren't default apps that I had lost. And the dock is still a black hole after a restart and hard shutdown. Any other ways besides a wipe to restore the dock? Would adding a default icon into the dock restore things?
    did you dragg ALL icons to the dock? you need them all to disappear and then reboot. not restore them from appworld.
    01-26-13 10:21 AM
    All icons, now you tell me, doh
    01-26-13 07:41 PM
    It is a bug that some rim big wig does not think anyone will encounter so did not fix it
    Sabhie Qadeer likes this.
    01-27-13 12:05 AM
    My calculator and calendar are magically gone. And I didn't remove all icons from the top. Somehow when I tried to put them in a folder together.
    01-27-13 12:58 AM
    I didn't realize this forum was such an angry place. Sorry to have offended everyone. Thanks for the flames on an innocent post. Hate to be the one to tell you but when your device says sql_array error, then IT IS A BUG!
    Perhaps it was the S3 bit that did it.
    01-27-13 04:41 PM
    Why would anyone load the dock and unload all the icons into nothingness? It's like drinking a gallon of bleach to see if it would hurt you.
    I didn't think 13 year olds were allowed to post here. But no, removing icons from the dock on your PB is not like drinking a gallon of bleach. Maybe when you're in 6th grade, but not for us adults
    02-19-13 03:13 PM
    Do you lose any data (documents, folders, photos, apps) if you perform this action?
    04-21-13 07:21 PM
    Do you lose any data (documents, folders, photos, apps) if you perform this action?
    While no one has reported such a problem, sometimes it makes sense to back up you personal files (docs, photo, music, video, etc) just in case and it is not bad to have a backup of such data in any event.

Remember, there are also icons to the left or right on the PANEL/PANE you are seeing, so swipe to the left to reveal ones off to the side. Good luck
    Cancross likes this.
    04-21-13 08:43 PM
    My playbook has been running for years and just hit this bug when the only icon moved from the dock was App world. That move was so many months ago, I can't recall. As mentioned here, moving all the apps into the dock and rebooting got my aps back.

I wonder how fan boish people are now? When consumers complain that something does something better, the expectation is that someone tries and one-ups the other something. It's not gloating. But now that there will never be another Playbook, and quite possibly no other BB10, mostly due to Blackberry holding the same kind of stance of defending it's missing direction, where are the defenders of said company?
    Last edited by melander; 04-09-16 at 07:32 AM.
    04-09-16 06:55 AM
    I wonder how fan boish people are now? ... ...where are the defenders of said company?
    Probably morphed into reluctant realists.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 09:50 AM
52 123