i am totally confused by the jargon,
    basically i was going to buy an ereader but thought they were a bit out of the arc. i have an Iphone and have been using the kindle app and Overdrive (libraries)and LOVE them can i use both of these on the playbook and if so in VERY simple terms how do i do this.

This will determine whether i go out and buy one.
    Thank you
    01-28-12 12:44 PM
    Kindle has no app, but you can access your books using Cloud Reader.

Dunno about Overdrive though.
    01-28-12 01:01 PM
    i am totally confused by the jargon,
    basically i was going to buy an ereader but thought they were a bit out of the arc. i have an Iphone and have been using the kindle app and Overdrive (libraries)and LOVE them can i use both of these on the playbook and if so in VERY simple terms how do i do this.

This will determine whether i go out and buy one.
    Thank you
    Don't know what "out of the arc" means, but no, there is no Kindle or Overdrive app for the PlayBook. The iPad may be more to your liking and meet your needs more since you already have an iPhone, which in my opinion, is a scaled down iPad with a phone...they both use the same OS afterall.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-28-12 01:04 PM
    People have had success sideloading both the apps you mentioned using the beta 2.0 OS and android player. It's likely you will be able to download both from app world at some point after 2.0 is released to the masses. You can also sideload them yourself which is not that difficult.

Considering the Playbook is considerably cheaper it may be an okay option.
    01-28-12 01:30 PM
    PB have the Kobo Book store which I think is just as good as the Amazon store.
    01-28-12 01:39 PM
    I don't want to derail the thread, but how is the PB for reading ebooks? Eye strain, fidelity, brightness, interface etc?
    01-28-12 01:45 PM
    I don't want to derail the thread, but how is the PB for reading ebooks? Eye strain, fidelity, brightness, interface etc?
    As good as an iPad, just better to carry around and with a tad better screen (not sure about Retina-thingie on iPad2).
    01-28-12 01:53 PM
    As good as an iPad, just better to carry around and with a tad better screen (not sure about Retina-thingie on iPad2).
    There is no "Retina-thingie" on the iPad 2, though it is rumored for the iPad 3.

Read several books through Kobo; it's great (though I wish the font sizes were more granular; there's either too big or too small).

One awesome advantage an LCD e-book reader has over an e-ink one: "night mode", where you can read backlit white text on a black background. I can read in bed at night without keeping my wife awake.
    01-28-12 02:18 PM
    I always remind people to consider their main uses (needs) before they decided to purchase.

I frankly am not familiar with Overdrive, but I'm thinking if you really love the Kindle app, and it seems your main uses for the tablet would be for reading, you might be better off getting a Kindle Fire (or any of the other variants). Lower price point, and pretty much engineered for reading.
    01-28-12 02:38 PM
    my boyfriend and i have a playbook that we both enjoy immensely he is on it constantly ....i love the smallness of it the ga.es the browsing,it is a bunch of fun....
    01-28-12 02:47 PM
    There is no "Retina-thingie" on the iPad 2, though it is rumored for the iPad 3.

Read several books through Kobo; it's great (though I wish the font sizes were more granular; there's either too big or too small).

One awesome advantage an LCD e-book reader has over an e-ink one: "night mode", where you can read backlit white text on a black background. I can read in bed at night without keeping my wife awake.
    Well, there we have it. It's as good as, with a tad better screen then.
    01-28-12 02:49 PM
    The PlayBook has a crisp and colour rich display. It has better resolution than an ipad, which in my opinion, it looks like a fluorescent light when reading text on a white background. The ipad 3 will obviously be an improvement in that area, but it doesn't have the portability of a PlayBook.
    01-28-12 03:02 PM
    Gobook is another great reader. No pich and zoom, though.
    01-28-12 03:19 PM
    Don't know what "out of the arc" means, but no, there is no Kindle or Overdrive app for the PlayBook. The iPad may be more to your liking and meet your needs more since you already have an iPhone, which in my opinion, is a scaled down iPad with a phone...they both use the same OS afterall.
    i mean the kindles controls seem very backward compared to the pb.
    well since this original post i have bought one but i haven't opened it yet as still scared, i didn't want an ipad because it is too big. i had a look at the apps and there is an over drive app which is good
    the other reason i didn't want a kindle was because i can't read it in bed while my husband sleeps
    02-02-12 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD