Recently my playbook has been randomly getting locked with vertical lines down the left side. If you take a screen shot you get the normal screen. I have to either hold power button down then swipe again and it is ok or more often totally power down or reboot. Anybody know what could be the problem? Just reinstalled OS and it still does it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    01-25-12 04:05 PM
    After a screenzhot it fixes itself?

That sounds like software but a OS reload should fix it.

I've never heard this issue before. .
    01-25-12 04:08 PM
    It sounds like a physical problem that needs warranty service. I guess you could try reloading the OS but .....

Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805
    01-25-12 04:25 PM
    Been through this twice, has to be a glitch in the OS, never plug in the Playbook to charge and then shut it off. My suggestion for charging is now, while the PB is still on, plug in the USB cord, then put it in stand by. The screen stays glowing all night, have to do a power reboot or whatever they call it, press and hold power button and both volume up and down buttons for ten seconds to shut it off, then one press of the on button after screen goes black brings it back to life. You need to do a full back up of the PB to your pc plus I go ahead and copy the documents, pictures and whatever Playbook folders to my pc while the Playbook is USB's to the pc. Then unplug the USB, go to the PB options/settings menu, the little gear icon, upper right, go to Security, then Security Wipe, enter blackberry, which deletes everything on your PB and will start the process of reinstalling the OS, after that process is done, you may get a note a newer OS is available, do that, allow it to update to latest OS, then all will be fixed.
    12-02-12 07:57 AM
    Man I hope this works because I've been dealing with this prob for about 9 months (right after the 1 year warranty expired wouldn't you know!)
    I'm going to give it a go tonight.
    12-03-12 10:21 AM
    I had a similar problem.

The glowing screen while charging is the issue. The LCD is on, but not doing anything. Thought they'd fixed that when 2.1 came out of beta. Only affects charging while the PB is off, not while in standby.

The solution I found is to never charge you playbook with it turned off. That glowing screen is heating the controlling resistors for the lcd, creating the lines on the screen. The lines on mine faded after a few hours, but I never charge my playbook with it turned off anymore, always on standby.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    12-03-12 11:51 AM
    Mine is full screen of vertical bars, and what worked before was hitting the power button a few times to turn the screen on and off and now it's getting a lot worse and now I have to press and hold the power button to shut off the PB and let it power down, and then hit the button again to turn it on and sometimes it reboots with the issue but a quick power button hit helps and sometimes it boots up properly without the lines. I'm way out of warranty. Might just have to suck it up and get a new PB....
    12-03-12 12:04 PM
    Mine is full screen of vertical bars, and what worked before was hitting the power button a few times to turn the screen on and off and now it's getting a lot worse and now I have to press and hold the power button to shut off the PB and let it power down, and then hit the button again to turn it on and sometimes it reboots with the issue but a quick power button hit helps and sometimes it boots up properly without the lines. I'm way out of warranty. Might just have to suck it up and get a new PB....
    I sent mine in for service and they sent me back either a new or refurbished unit within 4 days.

My PB was out of warranty and the CS rep on the phone basically told me that because I never registered the device initially (April 2011) that he would register it now. Thus I was then tecnically within the one year timeframe. Very classy by RIM !!!!

And I'm sure I have a different PB because the PIN is different than my original one.

So thank you RIM!!
    12-15-12 07:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD