Yeah, like my response...LoL

What self respecting BB user/owner doesn't know what BBM is?
    12-13-11 06:07 PM
    Agreed. I brought this up months ago regarding email and BBM on the playbook. If its free there will be a lot of blackberry users that wonder why they're paying extra to RIM for bis service albeit through their carrier.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    I don't think they've thought it through. But charging an addition fee on a wifi only device would do more damage... Also most BB owners are not PB owners, so the blowback in that regard isn't actually that huge because most don't own a PB or know much about it.

Also if they charge additional fees for the PB, they won't get to beta test QNX traffic on BIS hardly at all because nobody will use it, which puts them in a poor spot for phone releases later...
    This was a point that i also brought up long time ago probably around launch. BBM is part of BIS/BES and you cant give those services away for free. Atleast that is what we assume. i cant see them charging for BBM on a wifi device either, like you said that is kinda more harm than good. This is one of those things that might actually be part of the hold up and why its not included. I am very curious to see how they handle it
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-13-11 06:08 PM
    I don't see the need for native BBM, Email, or Calendar on the playbook. If you have a BB phone you have BBM and access to other IM programs. If you don't have a BB phone you have access to people who do through other IM programs. I already have 3 emails to track. I surely don't want another. Most smart phones can access your existing email accounts. And another calendar to sync.... not me. I am not sure way anyone would want a 3g/4g tablet if it can utilize your phones data plan . Just my option
    most of people not in asia don't know about the power of BBM
    in asia, most of people using BBM to send message replacing short message
    the reason, it's free if talking with someone abroad and also it's safe
    to do even business transaction.
    BBM in asia can be very popular also because service provider over there
    supporting also with low price of service. for ex. in indonesia, people
    can have "BBM only service" for $5 monthly.
    12-13-11 06:10 PM
    I don't think they've thought it through. But charging an addition fee on a wifi only device would do more damage... Also most BB owners are not PB owners, so the blowback in that regard isn't actually that huge because most don't own a PB or know much about it.

Also if they charge additional fees for the PB, they won't get to beta test QNX traffic on BIS hardly at all because nobody will use it, which puts them in a poor spot for phone releases later...
    I agree again. It's going to be tricky. Give BBM and email away for free and **** off bis subscribers or charge a fee and alienate even more PB users. I can't wait to see what happens.

I predict no native BBM without a bb and bis service and no native push email without a bb and bis service (I think there will be an email client that doesn't utilize bis). They'll require login using bbid to verify you're a subscriber.

Not a big deal considering its a wifi device anyway. The bb is sort of a necessity and most users will already be a bis/bes subscriber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 12-13-11 at 07:22 PM.
    12-13-11 07:19 PM
    no point discussing bbm if there are no data plan involved - and it won't happen in a wifi tablet. thats for sure.
    SDM7171 likes this.
    12-13-11 07:25 PM
    I predict no native BBM without a bb and bis service and no native push email without a bb and bis service (I think there will be an email client that doesn't utilize bis). They'll require login using bbid to verify you're a subscriber.
    The problem with this approach though, is why the hold up then. They could have released the imap/pop component months ago and not required any BIS/BES changes or OS2 since the email client would get upgraded with OS2 anyways...
    howarmat likes this.
    12-13-11 08:04 PM
    Rim has already stated that BBM will not be native on the Playbook. Not in February and not at any later date. The only chance you have of seeing on a Playbook is if a new one is released with a sim card.
    12-13-11 08:28 PM
    Rim has already stated that BBM will not be native on the Playbook. Not in February and not at any later date. The only chance you have of seeing on a Playbook is if a new one is released with a sim card.
    There it is then. Makes sense to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    12-13-11 08:30 PM
    The same logic would apply to the email client though... There's going to be zero native email (for push BIS email) until they have a sim card PB?....
    12-13-11 09:02 PM
    I had a thread on this very issue which was whether or not the hold up for Native Email was because they were waiting for 3g/4g compatibility.
    12-13-11 10:33 PM
    Do you have reference or link for that info? In the link referenced by the OP, RIM says exactly the opposite:

... we have decided to defer the inclusion of the BBM� application to a subsequent BlackBerry PlayBook OS release. We are committed to developing a seamless BBM solution that fully delivers on the powerful, push based messaging capabilities recognized today by BlackBerry� users around the world and we�re still working on it.

I suspect that RIM will deliver BBM on the PlayBook if/when RIM can handle two different clients (PB & phone) for the same BBM user, without bringing down their network.

As far as cost goes, a monthly BBM charge would be reasonable & logical for wifi-only PlayBook users who do not have a BB data plan for their phones. I suspect BBM would remain "free" (no extra charge over the data plan) for other users: PB owners with a BB phone and owners of the planned LTE PB.
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 12-14-11 at 02:05 AM.
    12-14-11 02:02 AM
    Another thing to consider here. Not having native BBM on the Playbook has no affect on BB10 phones since the phone doesn't have the issue the playbook poses of multiple pins if you have both a bb and pb. The BB10 phones will have it while it gets hidden on pb until they resolve the multiple pin issue.
    12-14-11 06:00 AM
    Does that mean we can add people with the PB pin given ??
    12-14-11 10:03 AM
    I always thought it would release along with OS2 in February. If you actually read the BB Blog post (An Update on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog), it will come at a later date after OS2.

Aw man
    That's the RIM Mission Statement, "We will deliver a half-baked product to our customers so that we can ensure our investors experience a rapid loss in their shareholder value."

And so far RIM is hitting it out of the park in managing to its Mission Statement.
    12-14-11 10:05 AM
    Does that mean we can add people with the PB pin given ??
    No one knows. All speculation. People are getting upset about a service that won't be included but no one knows anything about how this service would be implemented.
    12-14-11 10:27 AM
    This shouldn't surprise anyone.

When the playbook first came out they said that it wont come out with support for bbm, native email and the android market UNLESS you already have a blackberry smartphone.

so i was like hmm thats strange

then they said that they will have an update (that includes all of the things it should have) out by the summer

then i was like ok sweet

summer passes by and no update

WTF

now there is huge buzz about the DEVCON event and about how blackberry is going all out and revealing the new QNX line-up and that they will FINALLY RELEASE THE GODDAM PLAYBOOK OS 2 update. ..

and again nothing until FEBRUARY (again don't be surprised again if its delayed, RIM has made a habit of this)

EVEN WITH THAT UPDATE, like this post states, they wont have bbm ready.

they probably haven't got bbm working securely with the new OS so they are tinkering it out.
    12-14-11 06:46 PM
    That's what I thought... Why is everyone expecting native bbm on a device with no data plan. We aren't getting free push services on our bb's so why would we on our pb's? What we really need is a super high quality bridged bbm
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-14-11 07:56 PM
    That's what I thought... Why is everyone expecting native bbm on a device with no data plan. We aren't getting free push services on our bb's so why would we on our pb's? What we really need is a super high quality bridged bbm
    RIM can monetize BBM in other ways, like with BBM music or maybe intergrate it with their video service. To stay ahead of the game, RIM needs BBM to be available to ALL of its customers, whether they are using a tablet or phone. iMessage is in its infancy, but if RIM is as complacent with BBM as they were with Smartphones in general, they will wake up one day and find that one of their biggest assets is worthless.
    12-14-11 09:04 PM
    RIM can monetize BBM in other ways, like with BBM music or maybe intergrate it with their video service. To stay ahead of the game, RIM needs BBM to be available to ALL of its customers, whether they are using a tablet or phone. iMessage is in its infancy, but if RIM is as complacent with BBM as they were with Smartphones in general, they will wake up one day and find that one of their biggest assets is worthless.
    I kinda see what you're saying, but I'm confused. My point was basically that bbm with no service plan is a financial loss for rim. So that isn't really monetizing bbm, so to speak
    12-14-11 10:45 PM
    honestly guys... i feel that having native bbm on the playbook wont be that advantageous. i think that we would have to force ourselves to use it. lets be honest... we like the bb because the keyboards... yet some people would RATHER bbm from a tablet? i understand if youre surfing the web and dont want to set your pb down every time you need to reply to a bbm message... but thats when you bridge your bb! if you have native bbm... people would message you and you maynot respond for a while. youll never be away from your phone... cant say the same about the pb.
    12-14-11 10:52 PM
    I guess I fail to fully understand the "need/want" to have BBM native on the PB. It already does it just fine, providing you have a BB. If someone were trying to reach me, would I then expect them to BBM me on both PINS? No. Would I expect RIM to somehow device a portal to where both PINs can be joined so that by selecting one PIN can go to both accounts. Again, NO!

Maybe at this point BBM is starting to show it's age and we are not happy with it the way it's currently setup to work? Say like iOS' Messages where you enter an email address instead?

As much as I hate to say this, I could give a rats arse if they included it or not as to date I am the only one of my friends still using a BB. I have two people on BBM that I have met through BBM Music, and I rarely speak to them.
    12-15-11 12:46 PM
    Do you have reference or link for that info? In the link referenced by the OP, RIM says exactly the opposite:

... we have decided to defer the inclusion of the BBM� application to a subsequent BlackBerry PlayBook OS release. We are committed to developing a seamless BBM solution that fully delivers on the powerful, push based messaging capabilities recognized today by BlackBerry� users around the world and we�re still working on it.

I suspect that RIM will deliver BBM on the PlayBook if/when RIM can handle two different clients (PB & phone) for the same BBM user, without bringing down their network.

As far as cost goes, a monthly BBM charge would be reasonable & logical for wifi-only PlayBook users who do not have a BB data plan for their phones. I suspect BBM would remain "free" (no extra charge over the data plan) for other users: PB owners with a BB phone and owners of the planned LTE PB.
    I can't find the other statement because there are too many links that lead to this released statement. It could be that the other statement I read was bogus too. Either way it's pretty clear by this statement that they don't have a way of making BBM work over wifi. I for one don't think it's going to happen either. It's a paid service and I don't think it's reasonable to expect it for free. I wouldn't opt for it anyways. I would just continue to use the Bridge.
    12-15-11 01:17 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD