personnelly i think you should buy a basic kindle e reader...it is FAR superiour to any tablet apps, i mean the battery can last a month with low use, and the weight makes it much more practical.
    Oh...and buy a PB too...just cos its cool.
    Jamaicangirl81 likes this.
    04-13-12 07:07 AM
    No - I'd advise you to buy an iPad with their fantastic iBooks.
    04-13-12 07:35 AM
    No - I'd advise you to buy an iPad with their fantastic iBooks.
    And what is more fantastic about ibooks over anything else?

OP sounds like you know what you want.
    04-13-12 07:54 AM
    A 16g Playbook vs a kindle fire? No comparison. You'd be missing out on so much by getting the fire.
    04-13-12 10:01 AM
    I would, if you can be patient, wait until December. By then, you will be able to choose from numerous new entries in the 7" category all for $250 and under. Right now your choices for 7" are pretty limited in variety and you could end up buying now, only to look at all the new offerings a scant few months later and second guessing yourself. There's also a good possibility of the 10" tablet selection heating up around then with windows 8. I'm in the same boat as you, but with my phone. I'm dying to upgrade, but I know if I wait until winter, BB10 and WP8 phones will be introduced. There's a good chance of seeing new stuff from other manufacturers as well.
    wuulfy likes this.
    04-13-12 10:07 AM
    I'm a voracious reader and believe me, you will love the PB as a reader. I have tried the Kindle, still have it, but no one uses it now. I and my daughter don't care for e-ink readers. My wife is OK with them. The PB is a pleasure to read on. Where it really shines for me is at night or in bright daylight. I use the black background with white text which is easy on the eyes and has great contrast. We just got back from a trip and sitting around the pool reading at high noon was no problem. You won't be disappointed, but I bet you end up using it a lot more than for reading
    I have both a Kindle & a pb too & would have to agree with you. Reading on the black pb screen with the white text is far easier on my eyes at any time of day or night than reading on the Kindle. I don't have a Kindle touch so I also much prefer being able to tap or sweep the screen to turn the page. Pushing the Kindle button can get a little tiresome (yeah, sounding like a spoiled brat there ).
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-13-12 12:09 PM
    I thought I read on this forum that sideloading's not going to be allowed at some point, except maybe for developers. So what happens to all the sideloaded apps (Kindle in this case) once the Playbook is upgraded? Do they all remain after an potential upgrade? I got the impression that they would be removed.
    Nobody ever said (at least backed by any evidence) that previously sideloaded apps would be removed or disabled, and I believe at one point Alec Saunders even tweeted an explicit statement to the effect that they would NOT be.

It's moot, however, since he has since tweeted that sideloading is NOT being removed. I think they figure that the protections they are implementing (specifically encrypting the backups using a BBID-specific key so they can be restored only to the owner's own devices, and some other things) will prevent piracy of PlayBook apps and are therefore sufficient.
    04-13-12 07:20 PM
    You should, but remember to get your mandatory skype/netflix thread started early. You can probably get this done and out of the way before you even get your pb.
    Well played brother, well played.
    zorecati likes this.
    04-13-12 07:42 PM
    No reason not to buy a playbook @ 199 it is a better unit than the kindle fire and the Nook.
    04-13-12 07:53 PM
    i just ordered my PB last night VERY Excited! wont get it till the end of the month when my mom heads to FL for a trip though... but still.. it will be in time for my birthday in May

Then i started reading about people not being able to set it up ... i hope i have no issues with it since it will be travelling far before it can be checked by me.. might have to get my uncle to set it up for me... (its gonna take the fun out of me doing it, but it might be a better thing to do... )

Question... it asks you for a BB username.. can it be the one i use for my BB phone? or create a new one?
    04-14-12 06:40 AM
    Your bbid can be the same as mine is.
    Jamaicangirl81 likes this.
    04-14-12 06:52 AM
    I have both a Kindle & a pb too & would have to agree with you. Reading on the black pb screen with the white text is far easier on my eyes at any time of day or night than reading on the Kindle.
    Medically disproven
    Yes. Yes I DID have to nitpick.
    04-14-12 07:17 AM
    And what is more fantastic about ibooks over anything else?

OP sounds like you know what you want.
    It's extremely intuitive and loading books and PDFs is easy compared to the chop shop ereader software on playbook.
    04-14-12 07:18 AM
    Ouch, harsh, are you referring to the ebook apps on App World?
    04-14-12 07:21 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD