Hi guys,

with certain apps working on Playbook when they releasse Android marketplace for Blackberry, i am wondering if we will get VLC Media Player support and also codecs for .MKV (Matrouska) files.

The reason i say this really is most HD format files or direct Blu Ray rips are circulated as a MKV as they have better compression and video bit rate, but the playbook does not support this.

THis is a big thing if you have a HD Tablet as ther eis no poin offering HD if you do not support the mainstream HD file format.

Anyone have any news or information for this? I mean how come VLC cant jsut make an app for Playbook and RIM give us an OS update with MKV as a supported file format?

.FLV is not supported eaither which is another widely used Adobe FLash Video format

hmmmmm......
    10-13-11 09:03 AM
    I think once the NDK is released, the most interesting VLC option be a native one for QNX since it is already available: VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

That being said, Bla1ze has already hinted that there will be support for MKV in 2.0 however there seems to be some licensing issue with the audio AC3 codec.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...bla1ze-658791/
    bquinney and timmsy like this.
    10-13-11 09:24 AM
    thats a great answer thank you!

i have these problems all the time as XVID normally is associated with HD audio at AC3 5.1 and PB does not support that it supports MP3 (Stereo) or AAC and AVC Mobile Audio (Stereo) so when playing it through HDMI it is crap

then it support H.264 HD audio but that is used through MKV not AVI so its like the file formats for the video are wrong for the audio codecs it does support

having AC3 5.1 codec support and MKV support will mean you can play all HD files on your Playbook and would make it amazing!

fingers crossed then
    Last edited by timmsy; 10-13-11 at 10:10 AM.
    10-13-11 10:06 AM
    We will not be joining the Android marketplace, at least not without hacking the app player. Android developers are supposed to submit apps to RIM to be put on Appworld. Not all Android apps will be compatible, RIM has already stated this.
    10-13-11 10:28 AM
    VLC's availability on the Android App Marketplace does not imply immediate availability for the PlayBook. The VLC devs have to:
    1. Ensure that VLC doesn't use any APIs or features that are unsupported on BBX
    2. Repackage and submit VLC to BB App World

On a tangential note, I believe that the Android SDK and Dalvik VM represent RIM's long-announced (yet MIA) Java platform. I'm curious if they'll attempt to merge some of RIM's BB libraries into the Android SDK/VM.
    10-13-11 10:51 AM
    (1) RIM is not joining Android marketplace.
    (2) VLC has an open source license that conflicts with app store license.

VLC was pulled from the itunes app store because Apple's licensing terms conflict with VLC's open source licensing terms.

VLC will NEVER get into the RIM's app store for the same reason.
    10-13-11 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD