Does the playbook need antivirus software? Just sayin...
    06-15-11 12:29 PM
    Simple answer, no.
    06-15-11 12:30 PM
    i can see it now...norton bloat for the playbook..uses only 750 megs of ram and eats 6 gigs of your storage..
    but big box stores will push it to all the poor folk out there..

thank god that aint going to happen
    06-15-11 01:23 PM
    Simple answer, no.
    Just wondering if you can elaborate? Not saying I disagree but just want more info
    06-15-11 02:07 PM
    I'm kinda curious too. Does BIS somehow prevent this?

I've always heard the same thing about Apple computers, but I've had IT guys claim that they are not immune from threats.
    06-15-11 02:11 PM
    On the playbook apps are sandboxed, meaning they are only able to run within their own application space and have very very limited access to anything at the OS level and cannot interact with other applications. All applications have to be signed and submitted to AppWorld for approval by RIM in order to be posted. Yes, you can side load applications yourself manually, but my first point still applies in that case, apps have limited access outside their sandbox.

For those a little more curious have a look at this article, it shows what exactly an app can access outside of its sandbox. Also under "restricted functionality" youll see that if an app wants to access any of those things (ie GPS, Camera) it has to prompt the user for access. Overview of the BlackBerry Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR - Development Guide - BlackBerry Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR - 1.0.2
    buiya, Altarocks, Marcel38 and 2 others like this.
    06-15-11 02:34 PM
    But it could "pass" a virus that was received, say attached to an email and forward that to someone else?

What about installing these "new" fangled .bar programs bypassing the Rim screening process - virus or malware, perhaps?
    06-15-11 03:18 PM
    Yes its possible to write virus, malware, etc for any device.

But hackers can get more data with less effort (windows, mac os, ios,...)

If you would like to be on the secure side disable flash, javascript and internet connection...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-11 03:29 PM
    i can see it now...norton bloat for the playbook..uses only 750 megs of ram and eats 6 gigs of your storage..
    but big box stores will push it to all the poor folk out there..

thank god that aint going to happen
    Lmao. No that is not how it happens at all. Your computer is humming aling like a charm until you get an email from norton warning of malware threats.. You trust norton so you check it out. From that day forward your computer has a malware problem that grinds the computer to a halt.

What is the only solution? Buy norton products and allow them to run resource draining scans and updates daily.

Thanks norton!
    06-15-11 03:56 PM
    just curious if folks feel comfortable enuf to do any sort of internet banking while connected to the internet via tethered or thru wifi.

any advantages or disadvantages to either?
    06-16-11 05:32 AM
    just curious if folks feel comfortable enuf to do any sort of internet banking while connected to the internet via tethered or thru wifi.

Provided the website uses SSL (https://domain.name) there is no more reason to worry about banking via the Internet using the BlackBerry PlayBook whether bridged, tethered, or using WiFi. Please turn in your BlackBerry PlayBook and all other Internet-connected devices on your way out the door. There truly are stupid questions and you, sir, have asked a stupid question. Unless there is a magical keylogger/gesturelogger installed on the BlackBerry PlayBook the only thing you need concern yourself with is "Do I trust the certificate authority (CA) that issued the certificate for aforementioned website?"
    06-16-11 05:52 AM

if you use the bridge browser while connected to a BES, you are likely using one of the most secure means of communication commercially available. The data is sandboxed in the browser on the PlayBook, transferred over a secure, encrypted Bluetooth channel to a very secure BlackBerry device. It is then encrypted and compressed and sent to the NOC onward to the BES where it is decrypted and decompressed and sent to the bank website via a secure https link.

I am more comfortable using my PlayBook for online banking than my PC.
    06-16-11 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD