Can anyone tell me if i will be able to view my pictures, or any shared files for that matter on my playbook from a network share on a windows 7 machine? i would hate to have to move my files around. Thanks for any information you can provide.
    03-23-11 03:46 AM
    Beacause of security I would say NO with WIFI.
    But YES with USB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-11 05:32 AM
    I don't see anything in the specs about DLNA (would allow remote file viewing if you had a DLNA compliant media server). Seems like it was a feature that was previously advertised. Does anyone know for sure if DLNA is part of the Playbook?
    03-23-11 06:10 AM
    Yeah i wouldn't want to put my files on a USB. I wonder if it's not compilable now, if that they would make an app for it to be possible over wireless. I really think it would be ideal, just sit there and show all your friends your pictures(a lot)off your computer.
    03-23-11 03:28 PM
    I don't see anything in the specs about DLNA (would allow remote file viewing if you had a DLNA compliant media server). Seems like it was a feature that was previously advertised. Does anyone know for sure if DLNA is part of the Playbook?
    Whats is DLNA? Is it the same technology that my PS3 uses to stream my windows files?
    03-23-11 03:32 PM
    I hadn't thought of this until reading this thread, but I would think I should be able to access the computer files I have stored on my Seagate GoFlex home network drive using the Playbook. I can access this drive by just logging in to my account on the web. The website uses Flash but that's ok! I can store anything in there...pictures, movies, documents...and should be able to access it all.
    03-23-11 03:52 PM
    Hmmm, looks like Samba is on the simulator. If it's also on the real thing, you might be able to do file sharing over WiFi....

Inside the BlackBerry Playbook Simulator
    03-23-11 04:28 PM
    I am sure there will be dlna apps (well hopefully). I use hypoxia right now with my torch and it works well

03-23-11 04:35 PM
    Whats is DLNA? Is it the same technology that my PS3 uses to stream my windows files?
    Yes The PS3 is DLNA certified and that's how I use it. As a DLNA client to my NAS (Network Attached Storage) DLNA server. Works great over Wi-Fi.
    Bahbahbooy likes this.
    03-23-11 05:17 PM
    I am sure there will be dlna apps (well hopefully). I use hypoxia right now with my torch and it works well

This seems like a pretty reliable source to say that DLNA is built in: RIM's BlackBerry Playbook To Hit Market On April 19

Additional features of the tablet include a 5 MP rear camera, a 3 MP front camera; HTML5-capable browser; Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR; Adobe Flash 10.1 support; MP3/AAC/WMA audio playback; H.264, MPEG4, and WMV, HDMI video output; Micro USB, Micro HDMI, and DLNA media streaming.
    Bahbahbooy likes this.
    03-23-11 06:05 PM
    This seems like a pretty reliable source to say that DLNA is built in: RIM's BlackBerry Playbook To Hit Market On April 19
    Thanks for the info!!! I just pre ordered mine!!! I just wonder what app it will use with the DLNA? I have see some cool videos on youtube showing some sweet slideshow apps for the pictures. i just hope the pictures don't actually have to be on the device to display the pics in that slideshow view....
    03-25-11 04:29 AM
    so i got the playbook, but cant seem to see the files on my network over wifi. there`s not even an option in the movies or pics apps.
    04-19-11 08:22 PM
    I am interested in Network wifi browsing and file sharing as well.
    04-21-11 06:30 AM
    I can find my playbook on my network. As long as you set the playbook up correctly you can browse the playbook files over wifi.

In windows 7 I hit start button then RUN. I type in \\{insert name of playbook here as listed in settings then storage & sharing then Network Identification}

Make sure you also have file sharing turned on in settings
    04-21-11 07:24 AM
    I am looking to share files the other way. From my windows 7 computer to my playbook.
    thelink74 likes this.
    04-21-11 07:27 AM
    I am looking to share files the other way. From my windows 7 computer to my playbook.
    Oh, I have not found a way to map a drive on the playbook, most likely not an option yert but maybe later in an OS update.

I do have my PB mapped in Windows 7 so I can drag files there anytime easily
    04-21-11 07:49 AM
    First - under Storage & Settings - I chose File Sharing (ON) and Wi-Fi Sharing (On).

When I check my router I see an connection at 192.168.0.199 - but, the name of the device is blank. I have named the device under the Network Identification.

Anyway, I can browse through Wi-Fi to my PlayBook by entering \\192.168.0.199 and share files that way. But, I wish it would show up with a name under my router admin screen. I can map this as a network drive so it shows up in Windows.
    04-21-11 09:09 AM
    I think everyone here is answering backwards to the question. The question is not can I access my playbook from my computer. The question is can I access files on my computer on my playbook. This is a very common and important thing in business. I've been looking for this functionality, and I don't think it exists currently (big booo!). There's not even a file explorer app to let you browse folders on the playbook! This better be coming in an update soon.
    04-21-11 09:34 AM
    I think everyone here is answering backwards to the question. The question is not can I access my playbook from my computer. The question is can I access files on my computer on my playbook. This is a very common and important thing in business. I've been looking for this functionality, and I don't think it exists currently (big booo!). There's not even a file explorer app to let you browse folders on the playbook! This better be coming in an update soon.
    Yeah I would like this as well. No app for it? Would be surprised if no one made one or is in the process of making one.
    River Boy likes this.
    04-21-11 09:43 AM
    You're right. I murialita, I misunderstood your question. I don't have time to test this - but, have you tried setting up an FTP server on the workstation - then using the PB browser command to FTP to it?

Would look something like:

ftp://yourname:[email protected]:1234

yourname is login name of your ftp server
    123456 login password of your ftp server
    192.168.0.101 or IP of your FTP
    1234 is the port NO. of your FTP
    04-21-11 10:34 AM
    I'm looking to do the same. Don't want to pay for a VPN. Someone will either find a way or make an app.

***UPDATE http://crackberry.com/stream-media-y...y-playbook-orb

You should read Orbs Privacy Policy before u download Privacy - Orb
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 04-26-11 at 05:07 PM.
    04-25-11 09:21 PM
    I would think creating an app with Adobe Air to do this wouldn't be that tough, so long as you knew the hostname or IP of the computer you wanted to access. Then it's basically just normal HTTP uploads and downloads through an HTML/AJAX based application. Streaming is a bit trickier, you'd need a media server of some kind running on your PC, but I don't have a problem just downloading first.
    05-06-11 03:03 AM
    I just ftp'ed my WD network drive' IP adress. Can't seem to get music or video playing but can view photos and saves doc, spreadsheets, etc
    05-06-11 04:50 AM
    bump, anyone able to access network shares on their company network through the PB?
    07-20-11 03:03 PM
    bump, anyone able to access network shares on their company network through the PB?

NO, just instaled VNC to connect to my PC (Wxp). It works fine, but still direct access would be great as now the PC must still run.

Any news, anyone?
    07-26-11 05:43 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD