Hi!

I'm a photographer & a Blackberry user & I'm looking to get a tablet. This will primarily be used to view photos / show clients, etc, and I'd like to be able to do it "in the field" without the use of my laptop, especially as I do a lot of sports photography.

I already take pics on a Micro SD Card & put it in my BB for emailing - can I view those on a Playbook when they're connected?

Also, can I use the Playbook to email the pics without Wi-Fi when it's connected to my phone?

I've been to a few shops & I like the feel and specs of the playbook, but I want it to do certain things before I part with my cash! I don't trust the opinions of the teenage sales assistants, either!

Removable storage please!

Thanks!
    12-11-12 02:50 PM
    What BB phone do you use? The PB doesn't have removable storage.
    With the bridge app and a BB phone(OS5 and up) you can use the "open on" feature of the app to view pictures on the PB that are stored on the phone. There are other apps that will allow for transfer of files between PB and phone. In the absence of Wifi this transfer or "open on" is done over bluetooth so it's not the fastest process. The screen is decent for image preview in my opinion.
    With the same bridge app you can email the photos among other things.
    RIM has a video explaining the bridge app and it's functions on their website.
    12-11-12 03:04 PM
    TKB - have you not considered a cloud service? Seems to be MADE for your situation. Check out Box, Dropbox, SugarSync. Box gives you 50gb free if you sign up through your PlayBook (I think that is still their special) or check out SugarSync in my signature. Allows pics to be stored in the cloud and available on your computer/phone/PlayBook and allows you to share them via link instead of by attaching to emails - you can limit who/when access is allowed. For the PlayBook, you will need Files and Folders by Innovatology

Will be deeply integrated to BB10 per recent posts and videos.
    Innovatology likes this.
    12-11-12 03:24 PM
    Yes. You can view pictures from you BlackBerry phone on your PlayBook. Very easy to do and its done through the BlackBerry Bridge app.

On the phone.

loading screen takes about a second or two..(PlayBook)

and boom you can see the picture on your playbook.
    Chaddface and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-11-12 03:39 PM
    Alternatively, you can use the PlayBook's native File Manager app to view pix stored on your BB phone (or its SD card) directly from the PB---no need to juggle both the PB and the BB in the field. However, FM only lets you view one pic at a time (no slideshow). For emailing, you must use the PB's native Bridge Email app, which allows attachments from the bridged BB. Not the most elegant solution, but at least it's doable.

The PB app Ghost Commander is a big improvement over FM. GC doesn't do the slideshow directly, but at least you can copy multiple pix from the phone onto the PB. Then you can use the PB's native Pictures app to do a nice smooth slideshow. But again, no simple hook to email the pic(s) directly.

I've heard a lot of good things about the similar PB app Files and Folders, but I don't have it (yet); F&F may let you do the slideshow without the extraneous copying step required by GC. It also has an experimental email hook; not clear if it works through BB Bridge though.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 12-11-12 at 04:54 PM.
    12-11-12 04:43 PM
    ..and yes, you can send emails from your BlackBerry (via Bridge). You'd be sending them actually from the BlackBerry itself, just using the PlayBook Bridge interface.

On a side note, it is quite possible that the PlayBook with have OTG support once BB10 lands on it. This would let you use an OTG cable to connect a microSD card directly to the PlayBook as a secondary storage device. You wouldn't have to rely on the BlackBerry bluetooth connection for transferring/viewing images to the PlayBook.

I am a photographer as well, and look at this as an option soon. It'll be interesting to see if OTG will handle the CF cards from my cameras.
    12-11-12 06:02 PM