soooo I took my playbook to the U.S.

booted it while in the U.S

software update was available...downloaded it in U.S.

all the sudden Video store is available...I can buy/rent all movies/shows

but cross back into canada and boot it.

Boot Video Store, it has a message pop up saying "Video Store only available in U.S. Territories, you may still watch any downloaded Movies/Shows that were previously downloaded.

sooooo close

o well
    rexxenex likes this.
    03-11-12 11:35 PM
    Umm, yeah. It has to do with the distributor having the legal right to sell stuff outside the USA.

I'm impressed you were even able to download there, actually.
    03-11-12 11:38 PM
    There are free proxy services which will allow you to appear to be in the country to our south and this should allow BlackBerry Video Store to work from Canada. Still, Research In Motion as a Canadian company needs to address the lack of Video Store functionality in Canada.
    03-12-12 12:01 AM
    Yeah its really stupid because it means not even rim employees in waterloo can use the service. The video store is actually really pointless.
    03-12-12 12:02 AM
    Maybe you should not have rebooted it in Canada.
    03-12-12 12:02 AM
    ^lul...notsureifsrs/10
    03-12-12 12:07 AM
    Umm, yeah. It has to do with the distributor having the legal right to sell stuff outside the USA.
    It is really annoying the way they run the media industry these days...

Back in time they did some work and divided the planet into "DVD Zones" -
    WHY can't they continue using these zones for digital media as well?

Perhaps the zones should be modified a little bit, but at least -that way Canada and USA would have Zone 1.

The next step would be to fix the Zones and make them more 2012 ... and at least use language as a divider...

A Bad example is Netflix. They show Spanish speaking movies in English speaking countries, with NO option to change sound - and with hard-coded CC in Spanish or Portuguese. Not a very smart move...
    03-12-12 12:37 AM
    I hope you get it soon the video store is pretty cool.
    03-12-12 05:14 AM
    Well, at least Crackle works.
    03-12-12 08:09 AM
    Don't worry! It's "coming soon"!
    03-12-12 08:29 AM
    Hmm...i got the same update notice today and just noticed that i had the Video Store icon.

I got excited but then got the "...service not available..." message when I opened the app.

Odd thing is that all this happened in Toronto. I wonder why/how I got the update notification with a Canadian IP.
    03-14-12 10:27 PM
    It is really annoying the way they run the media industry these days...

Back in time they did some work and divided the planet into "DVD Zones" -
    WHY can't they continue using these zones for digital media as well?

Perhaps the zones should be modified a little bit, but at least -that way Canada and USA would have Zone 1.

The next step would be to fix the Zones and make them more 2012 ... and at least use language as a divider...

A Bad example is Netflix. They show Spanish speaking movies in English speaking countries, with NO option to change sound - and with hard-coded CC in Spanish or Portuguese. Not a very smart move...
    Those suggestions are all admirably rational and sensible. Unfortunately, rationality and sensibility aren't qualities often associated with the MPAA...
    03-14-12 10:30 PM
    I hope you get it soon the video store is pretty cool.
    I work for what may be the world's smallest full-service telco, and we also operate many cable tv systems within our operating area.

I just came across one of our flyers that came out when we revamped our VOD offerings last year, and I was intrigued to see that Rovi is also the provider for our VOD. So it's not like they don't already operate here.
    03-14-12 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD