So I put a season of sealab 2010 on my pb, and half the episodes wont play. It just shows up as a orange piece of film strip.

I'll be honest, I dnld these videos.

I don't know enough about formatting, but it looks like the file types (avi) are the same for those that play and don't play.

Someone feel like schooling me on pb formats and why (some) wont play?

Thx
    08-04-11 06:19 PM
    I have the same problem!
    08-04-11 07:32 PM
    I'm pretty sure it runs most avi formats. If the videos you have are encoded using unstandard formatting then this is an issue you can have. The same applies to mp4 although this is less common. The best thing to do would be to use a converter that you know converts to the correct format for your playbook. Or make sure to download your shows/movies from an uploader that you know uses formats that will play.
    awattwell likes this.
    08-04-11 07:39 PM
    You can use gspot (not X-rated) to determine the contents, both audio and video, of an avi. See if you can detect the differences in items that run and those that do not.
    08-04-11 08:55 PM
    if the avi has ac3 audio it won't play
    08-04-11 10:34 PM
    Codecs buddy. Your avi files that don't work are because they are encoded using codecs that are not supported. **** happens.

here is the list of supported file types and their supported codecs.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp..._(English).pdf
    08-04-11 10:38 PM
    True - sounds like a codec problem.

All you need to do though is convert the avi files into a format that'll work - if you "obtained" the videos, it shouldn't be hard finding a quality encoder - or even some of the free ones are alright.

Go .mp4 filetype with mp4 or h264 video codec and aac audio codec.
    08-05-11 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD