I really like the way my playbook alerts me , when someone is trying to video chat. I do not have to be on it or it can be sitting in the charger, all I need to hear is the " Alert tones "...... This does make a lot of sense to me !!!!

So my question to all the Tech savvy Users here is:
    What other tablet, laptop, etc can do this also?

Appreciate the help

Ron
    11-27-13 04:29 PM
    android tablets can do this with skype
    apple tablets can do this with facetime.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 11-28-13 at 02:04 PM.
    11-27-13 07:21 PM
    Are you saying that android has the same alert as the playbook? That is, it bongs when you are receiving a video chat request.
    I really like the idea of a sound alert compared to a popups that you cannot hear.. So I am looking for another tablet that has the same audio alerts
    11-27-13 07:40 PM
    Yes android on skype makes a sound to alert you. Not rhe same sound as video chat obviously.
    11-27-13 07:44 PM
    oops skype on android does not start automatically at boot.
    linphone and csipsimple start at bootime and allow video chat using open standards.
    11-27-13 07:52 PM
    Are you aware of any tablet or ? that works similar to the playbook as far as alert tones?
    11-27-13 08:05 PM
    Not sure what you are asking.
    I have yet to find a voip app the does not "ring" to alert the callee.
    when bbm voice and video features are added to the android client that should work fine also.
    11-27-13 08:08 PM
    Sorry for the vague question. I will try again...

I guess that I use the playbook like a telephone... I generally keep the playbook on the cradle until I hear the alert tones ( like a telephone ringing ) ...I do not have to have the playbook open to receive a call. I just walk up to the playbook and answer..

So I am wondering if any other tablet has the same option.
    11-27-13 08:22 PM
    Sorry for the vague question. I will try again...

I guess that I use the playbook like a telephone... I generally keep the playbook on the cradle until I hear the alert tones ( like a telephone ringing ) ...I do not have to have the playbook open to receive a call. I just walk up to the playbook and answer..

So I am wondering if any other tablet has the same option.
    As I said before evey voip app I have seen "rings" whether the app is in the foregound or background.

Ok to be specific get a 2nd generation Nexus 7 and install skype on it. That will allow you to video chat with all other skype users.

Be advised though that skype can't video chat with the playbook.
    Also be advised that skype does not start automatically at boot time.
    It does however run in the background.

If anything is not clear in this post please ask for clarification on the parts you don't understand.
    11-27-13 08:35 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to explain....I know now what I need to do...

Ron
    11-27-13 08:44 PM
    I am curious what do you need to do?
    11-27-13 08:44 PM
    The 2nd Generation Nexus 7 is a good start....As much as I like the the playbook, I have to look at the possibility of the Playbook going down.

The "Video Chat " is important to us because it is a wonderful tool to keep in touch with our Son, who lives 250 Miles away. The Playbook is the perfect media for us, but with the diminished support, I do have some concerns about the longevity.

I have the MacBook Air with facetime, facetime works well but I am unaware of any apps that will give me the same functionality ( alert Tones ) ....And when I close the lid , I get no indications or alerts if someone is calling me. This is where the Playbook excels !!!!! I do not have to keep it open...Its just there.

I have used Skype, google +, facetime and Video Chat.....And the Playbook is the Winner in my mind....

I would have no problem with any Video Media as long as I can use it like a telephone...That is, the Tablet rings and I answer, whether I have the Tablet open or not.

Ron
    11-27-13 09:12 PM
    So you will purchase a nexus 7 for your son and another one for yourself?
    11-27-13 09:23 PM
    If it has the alerts like the Playbook, I will run to the store to purchase them

btw, a BIG thanks to you for all your time and effort....

Ron
    11-27-13 09:26 PM
    glad to help
    11-27-13 09:29 PM
    There is an alternative.
    Here is what I do.
    I have a an android smartphone.
    and a data only plan from Fido.
    That means I can't place or receive cellular calls or texts.
    and an acccount on voip.ms
    and the csipsimple sip client.

I place and receive calls over wifi and/or the 3g network through the pstn via voip.ms very inexpensively.

One of the nice things is my phone number is not tied to the sim card, smartphone or carrier.

Works for me.
    11-27-13 09:44 PM
    Why don't you buy your son a PlayBook then?
    There are many great deals for Playbooks all over the place...

On Android tablets Jelly Bean and Kitkat OS they have Google Hangouts.
    Hangout is smilar to Videochat on the Playbook.
    You can videochat using Hangouts via Android Smartphones or tablets that have the app!
    11-30-13 02:00 PM
    You can buy another PlayBook
    http://www.nomorerack.com/daily_deal...nt_car_charger

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 02:13 PM
    Agreed... I don't know of another table that doesn't have this ability.

Hangouts rings on any device with it is enabled: Laptop, phone, tablet... heck even on TV. And it allows for multi-person chat. It also helps that it is somewhat multi-platform.
    11-30-13 02:47 PM
    Why don't you buy your son a PlayBook then?
    There are many great deals for Playbooks all over the place...

On Android tablets Jelly Bean and Kitkat OS they have Google Hangouts.
    Hangout is smilar to Videochat on the Playbook.
    You can videochat using Hangouts via Android Smartphones or tablets that have the app!
    My Son has the Playbook and so do I....We do the "Video Chat " at least 3 times a week.....I am just concerned that, without continued support for the Playbook, if there are any problems, what would be my options be if something does come up.....
    11-30-13 06:47 PM
    The iPad's and iPod Touch (4th and 5th gen) ring for Facetime when the devices are in standby mode. I use my iPT daily for Facetime. This may be a good solution for you as it would complement your Mac Air.

Another route you might consider is a couple of Z10's and use them as WiFi only devices. If you can pick them up for $200 each, like it is (was) possible in the U.S. this weekend, it might satisfy your needs. It doesn't hurt that if you wanted, you could pop a sim in them and use the phone capability.
    Last edited by mmd12; 12-01-13 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-01-13 11:43 AM
    on a side question to this - are there any windows or other tablet apps which can dial into the playbook using the default video tools or do you have to install 7 sets of similar software are usual?

I noticed that a lot of websites like anymeeting dont support small screens or tablet hardware.
    12-03-13 12:00 AM
    on a side question to this - are there any windows or other tablet apps which can dial into the playbook using the default video tools or do you have to install 7 sets of similar software are usual?

I noticed that a lot of websites like anymeeting dont support small screens or tablet hardware.
    on the playbook you can use Taki
    on the android tablets you can use csipsimple
    on windows desktop you can use xlite

note.that this is voice only

alo note that taki does not have effective echo cancellation so you will need a headset with good isolation
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 12-03-13 at 12:17 AM.
    12-03-13 12:05 AM
    on the playbook you can use Taki
    on the android tablets you can use csipsimple
    on windows desktop you can use xlite

note.that this is voice only
    are they required to be run though? I like the fact that playbook to playbook you just dial the pin number. very clever that was.

reading older threads reelportal gets a mention but its disappeared from all the download links so I cant try it.
    12-03-13 12:17 AM
    are they required to be run though? I like the fact that playbook to playbook you just dial the pin number. very clever that was.

reading older threads reelportal gets a mention but its disappeared from all the download links so I cant try it.
    yes they all require to be running.
    The video chat app is special because it is part of the operating system.
    12-03-13 12:25 AM
33 12