Sorry guys for bringing this matter up again but things are going really bad with video chat.

I have 3 friends in UK and one in China with whom I (used to) video chat regularly. As from a month ago we all start getting the "Unable to connect to server" error message. Different routers, different providers, difference continents!!!!. I posted details of the problem in another post but back then it was only me. Now all the people I know that have PB (all four of them - well PB is not that popular) face the exact same problem when they want to video chat with me or between each other.

Any advice/suggestion?

Thanks
    02-01-13 04:26 AM
    Can't help but I can say that I used it last week and it was working perfectly.

Maybe a full reboot? Deleting all wifi networks? If all fails, wipe and debrick?

Best of luck!
    02-01-13 08:08 AM
    Sorry guys for bringing this matter up again but things are going really bad with video chat.

I have 3 friends in UK and one in China with whom I (used to) video chat regularly. As from a month ago we all start getting the "Unable to connect to server" error message. Different routers, different providers, difference continents!!!!. I posted details of the problem in another post but back then it was only me. Now all the people I know that have PB (all four of them - well PB is not that popular) face the exact same problem when they want to video chat with me or between each other.

Any advice/suggestion?

Thanks
    It's provider dependant.

I am with 02 and they still don't support video calling. My wife is with Vodafone and they do support it. When we are both out I cannot video chat with her between both our Playbooks. If I am at home and connected through wifi, I can video chat with her through her mobile phone connection.

Don't know if this is helpful but a great many air time providers are slowly changing their networks in readiness for the launch of 4G.
    02-01-13 01:03 PM
    You can Bridge Video Chat? O.o

I thought it was meant to work on WiFi only...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-01-13 01:23 PM
    You can Bridge Video Chat? O.o

I thought it was meant to work on WiFi only...
    Not tried that because it's not a major requirement in my life, but many thanks for the info. Will try it whatever, even if I don't use it.
    02-01-13 01:27 PM

Any advice/suggestion?

Thanks
    I do hope you solve your PlayBook video problem.

I just wanted to point out that, while it's known that there are clearly not as many total PlayBooks sold, in the UK they are now outselling the iPad. I think the PB is becoming far more popular than you may realize.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...months-764954/
    02-01-13 01:38 PM
    Not tried that because it's not a major requirement in my life, but many thanks for the info. Will try it whatever, even if I don't use it.
    Hmm... I asked a question in a dramatic/surprised way. I, in no way, shape or form, said it was possible. I still think it is meant to be used only over WiFi.
    02-01-13 02:23 PM
    sorry for the delay getting back to you.

As far as i know video chat never meant to work over bridge and it never worked for me. It will ask me to connect to a wifi network first. I don't know if using a mobile phone as a hotspot works (I have a BB 9300 which doesn't have this functionality).

In any case, I always use my home wifi, in the past it was working flawlessly for both me and my friends. I disabled firewall in my router and forwarded the ports that RIM says video chat is using but still no video chatting. I have to say that most of the times I can chat. Maybe 70% I can and 30% I can't.

Thanks guys for your input. I may contact rim support and I will update. In the meantime if you have any more suggestions/advice please post. Video chatting is quite important for me (main means to contact my gf).
    02-01-13 05:20 PM
    I video chat once in awhile and Never had that problem. Sounds like a problem with provider
    02-01-13 09:27 PM
    I video chat once in awhile and Never had that problem. Sounds like a problem with provider
    What provider would that be? Mine (Virgin UK)? My friend's #1(BT)? My friend's #2 (some chinese company as he is in china)? Or my gf's (talktalk)? As I said we are all on wifi and they can't video chat with each other either.
    02-02-13 03:07 AM
    Maybe you should get mine, my brother's my cousins my biz partner s. We have no problems with them.
    Or maybe it's a Tumah!
    02-02-13 12:57 PM
    Maybe you should get mine, my brother's my cousins my biz partner s. We have no problems with them.
    Or maybe it's a Tumah!
    thank you for your input
    02-02-13 02:18 PM
    I'll pick this up since I've been having video chat problems for the last two weeks.

I have three PB's and each of them are having issues with video chat. It isn't a provider issue as all three are on different providers. I have one of them, my parents borrowed another as they are in Barbados, and my brother has the third (different location, different provider).

I'm consistently getting issues where the PlayBook wont read other people as being online or I'll try contacting another person when it is green and it wont connect. Same with the other two PBs.

Rebooting doesn't resolve the issue. It still works but maybe only half the time.

I was thinking it may be due to increased demand on the servers due to the new Z10's and their video chat... It's the only thing that has changed in the last two weeks. (Maybe if all video chats go through a single server there is too much load??).
    02-09-13 09:36 AM
    I was getting the same "unable to connect to server" error. From the home screen go to settings, then blackberry ID, enter your password and then exit. Go back to video chat and it should work.
    04-18-13 08:14 PM
    Short answer ....NOTHING. Maybe user interference
    04-19-13 06:25 PM
    Hmm... I asked a question in a dramatic/surprised way. I, in no way, shape or form, said it was possible. I still think it is meant to be used only over WiFi.
    Ok boys here's the deal.

Wife = 64Gb playbook + Samsung Galaxy SIII + Vodafone.
    Dweeb (me) 64Gb playbook + Z10 + O2.
    Obviously my wife connects while out using wifi hotspot as the SIII does not support bridge. I have tried both bridge and wifi hotspot with my pb and Z10 combination and when we are both out I cannot video call her and vice versa. If she is out and I am at home connected through wifi I can video call her using either Z10 to her pb or pb to pb.

I've accepted that O2 don't support video chat and it's not a major issue in my life but I just had to try it.
    04-20-13 06:41 AM
    It might not be that O2 doesn't support video chat- but its the manner by which the data signal is used. For example - my wife & I are both with 3. They don't allow for tethering without paying stupid amounts of money. Our solution - used of FoxFi with the filter add-on so that it looks like normal data use. Video Chat works fine then - in fact we used it only yesterday.

Not sure if there's a similar app for z10 - don't own one, but that could be a method around it?
    04-20-13 01:00 PM
    It might not be that O2 doesn't support video chat- but its the manner by which the data signal is used. For example - my wife & I are both with 3. They don't allow for tethering without paying stupid amounts of money. Our solution - used of FoxFi with the filter add-on so that it looks like normal data use. Video Chat works fine then - in fact we used it only yesterday.

Not sure if there's a similar app for z10 - don't own one, but that could be a method around it?
    Neither O2 nor Vodafone charge anything for tethering, it comes within your data package allowance and we both have unlimited data plans.
    04-20-13 02:13 PM