Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Video chat not accessing video camera

Hi guys,

I have spent all evening researching my problem on Crackberry, blackberry support and Google in general and cannot find an answer or a solution that works. I apologise if there is a post about this but I can't see it anywhere. I will explain my problem and what I have done to try and fix it.

My Mam has recently bought a Playbook and I went over to set it up for her today. As she is the first other person I know to have a PB, I was excited to try out the video chat (we don't live in the same town so it would be cheaper than phoning all the time).

She loaded up her video chat app, as did I. On her screen her video camera came up within the app (she started to readjust her hair in preparation for our video chat), but the video camera didn't come up on my screen. Didn't think too much about it and started setting up the PIN and BBID email addresses to connect to a call.

Both Playbooks seemed to connect fine, with the "Calling" and "Answer call" messages appearing on the screens. Then my playbook said "call failed." I assumed it was because we were on the same wifi network so I said I would test it when I got back to my own house.

I got home, restarted the playbook and loaded up the video chat app again. The video camera didn't load up again so I closed the app and loaded the normal camera app. I got an error message saying that the camera was already in use.

Did the 3 finger reset
    Loaded the PB on again
    Clicked on camera, it worked fine
    Clicked on video camera, made a short movie clip, it worked fine. Closed the app.
    Click on video chat, the video camera didn't load up within the app, tried to connect a call, it came up call failed again
    Closed the video chat app and loaded the normal camera app again
    Got the error message about the camera being used (even though all apps now were closed).
    Restarted my router, turning it off and on again
    Clicked on the battery icon and did a normal restart on my PB
    Tried the whole procedure again, same problem with the video chat
    Decided to connect to DM and "debrick" it
    Loaded the OS back on, put all settings in again, loaded the video camera app back on, still not accessing the video camera
    Restarted the PB
    Loaded the camera app on and the video camera works fine.

So from what I can gather my camera app is working fine, my video camera is working fine, but my video chat app is not accessing my video camera. I am running OS 2.0.1.358 in the UK.

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas or can see what might be going wrong? I know it isn't a hardware problem as the video camera works fine. I just don't know what else to try?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm willing to try any suggestions!

What other apps do you have loaded and while the emphasis might be on other camera or video type apps, maybe a list will reveal even a non-camera/video app as a problem.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I have had no other apps loaded while I have been trying to access the video chat/video camera. Now that I have done a complete wipe of my OS, I don't have any apps that may have been interfering with the video camera (was thinking it might have been a dodgy sideloaded android app that may have changed some settings/directories etc).

On a side note, now my DM won't recognise the PB when it is plugged in. I may have to test it on another laptop in the morning.
    CrackBerry User

Can you take photos and videos with the front camera? Go to the camera app, select the video camera, switch it to the front camera and try to record a video for a few seconds, if it works then your camera is not the problem.
    Are you using the same bb id in both pbs? I believe they must to be different.
    If you open the menu of the video chat, there is an option to accept calls or not, check if it is selected to accept calls.
    I can not think of anything else that can be wrong. Good luck
    Last edited by surferito; 06-05-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

I have the same problem with my playbook except its not the video chat, its the front camera that is the problem. I believe you might have the same issue and since the video chat uses the front camera, that's why it appears the video chat is the issue. If I restart my playbook and then launch the camera app it works fine until I switch to the front camera. At that point it just goes into a black screen and if I close the app and reopen then I get the camera in use error making both front and back camera unusable.

I like you, have been researching on crackberry but the only resolution everyone has come up with is to call rim and replace it. I bought my playbook on launch day so its out of warranty for me. I suggest if yours is still under warranty to call RIM and get an RMA. There was one user that reported he let his playbook drain completely to the point where it shut off on its own then charged it back up and the camera was working again. Good luck and if you happen to find a fix please post.
    Last edited by redk; 06-05-2012 at 09:05 PM.

redK:

I don't know how widespread it may be but there was one post today about someone else beyond warranty and rim was still willing to repair/replace the unit. Mine was also about a week or two beyond and rim replaced mine (standby power issues). Give them a call unless you already have.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry Addict

F2:

Thanks for the heads up, it's been almost two months since my warranty expired but I will give them a try.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I received my playbook as a gift so I don't know when it was bought. I have had it nearly a year so it might not be in warrenty now. I phoned RIM customer service in the UK today and they said I had to register for contact support on their website first using my PB serial number. I found the website they were referring to, put my serial number in and a message came up saying I wasn't eligible for complimentary support. I haven't phoned RIM back as I assumed this meant that I couldn't get any support from them via phone? Any suggestions?

I have reinstalled the OS 4 times today, done 3 security wipes and even tried to restore from a back up I did in October. No luck so far but I am going to keep at it and will report back if I have any success!

That "non-support" message is based on the 90 days. In the US/Canada, you have to call. While they did mention my one year was over, she still processed me. Otherwise, you may have to pay for "tech support" or they could kick you to the warranty rma process.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Thanks, I will phone them again in the morning. Has anyone from the UK had any success with phoning RIM?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I've been seeing the same issue on both 2.0.1 and the 2.1 beta
    I'm still alive, walkin' in the sunshine And if I die, I'm dyin' with a smile on my face
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    I've been seeing the same issue on both 2.0.1 and the 2.1 beta
    Have you come across any solutions that work yet? I've tried reinstalling the OS, doing security wipes and resets. A number of posts have said that draining the battery down to 20% fixed the problem, others have said to reinstall the bar for the camera (I'm not sure where to find this though).

I rarely use the Video Chat, so I just thought it was a software issue with my PB and the front camera. I know it has worked at some point because I have used the video chat in the past and my daughter has taken pics with the front cam. I had been toying with the idea of reloading the software, but was hoping the official 2.1 would come out soon and I would do a fresh load then. I have definitely had the charge down many times below 20%, but maybe I need to try the camera at that point. Seems fishy, I don't see a logical connection there...
    I'm still alive, walkin' in the sunshine And if I die, I'm dyin' with a smile on my face
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Well reloading the software hasn't fixed it for me so I wouldn't bother at the moment. I know my front facing camera has also worked in the past, so it must be the updates which have knocked it out of wack. I don't think trying the camera when the battery is at 20% is going to do anything, but a couple of other forums suggested it. I won't be able to test that until tomorrow, I have a full battery now.

Anyone else have suggestions to try?
    CrackBerry Addict

I tried draining the battery completely and it did nothing. I also took F2's suggestion and called RIM. The rep was pretty nice, he registered my playbook for me, started the 90 day support today and send me to the RMA department to get my playbook shipped in for repair. I will let you guys know what happens once I send the playbook back. Hopefully they don't come back saying liquid damage like they have done for other folks around here.
    dono54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redk View Post
    I tried draining the battery completely and it did nothing. I also took F2's suggestion and called RIM. The rep was pretty nice, he registered my playbook for me, started the 90 day support today and send me to the RMA department to get my playbook shipped in for repair. I will let you guys know what happens once I send the playbook back. Hopefully they don't come back saying liquid damage like they have done for other folks around here.
    Good luck. Do let us know how it goes.

Yes, please keep us updated. Maybe I should do the same. I just have this fear I'll end up with a unit with some other bigger problem...

Quote Originally Posted by TheScionicMan View Post
    Yes, please keep us updated. Maybe I should do the same. I just have this fear I'll end up with a unit with some other bigger problem...
    That was my concern - bad pixels or screen bleed or other issues. I believe I got a brand new unit but I don't know how to tell. It is not my original unit by serial number. It has no noticeable blemishes and seems fine. I am pretty sure with the less than 24 hour turnaround that they did not even look at my old one based on reported symptoms (standby power loss seemed excessive).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

I have just come off the phone with RIM and they are putting me through RMA. I'm also worried I am going to be sent some refurb version Playbook, or I will send it off and never see it again
    I guess I will just have to see what happens. Now to delete all important info and log in details from my PB before I send it!! I'm not having them log into my Facebook account and see my pictures!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I've had the same issue and I've been in a lot of contact with RIM over this. They even called me from Canada to see if they could solve it. In the end they too decided it needed to be replaced, or at least sent back for repair. I've put that off for a few weeks since I need the Playbook for my coming exams but after that I certainly will send it to them.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

I thought I would update everyone on my PlayBook. I went through RMA, they sent me the box to send it away, it came back 2 days later (and since the repair facility was in Germany, I was impressed with how fast they were) and now my front camera works fine. I have noticed that the power button is now raised, where before it had been flushed to the case. The volume buttons also feel raised up, so since the camera, volume and power button are all very close to one another, there must have been something that needed jiggling around (and since my PlayBook was in the repair facility for less than an hour according to my FedEx tracking, it must be a common and easy problem).

Good luck to anyone who is still going through RMA

Great to hear that you got good service. So, your serial number/pin is the same - they repaired the unit rather than replacing it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    PIN
    298E53D4
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Yes the serial number is exactly the same (it was the first thing I checked) and I still have one small dead pixels which doesn't bother me as it is close to the bezel. They obviously took it apart, fiddled with some wires or internal feature and closed it up again. Just out of curiosity, how would they open up the playbook?

There's one or two videos on dissection out there. I have not done it but gather you peel off the rubber back and then using PLASTIC pry tools, can separate the front and back and go from there.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Good luck. Do let us know how it goes.
    Just wanted to update you guys on my situation. I got my playbook back today from rim and it appears they replaced it. My camera is back to working order and I couldn't be more happy right now. I feel like a kid at Christmas time!! The whole process was so easy and fast. I'm so thankful with RIM for not only fixing the issue but going as far as replacing the whole device even tho my warranty was expired. I was already a loyal customers but I'm definitely not going anywhere now and can't wait for BB 10.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast