Hey guys...first time poster. I'm here because I just got my Playbook, and I love it...but I've stumbled upon an issue.

When recording a video in either 720p or 1080p, it is very choppy and will freeze often or give me a message that recording has stopped because the device is full.

The device is most certainly not even close to full. The video record feature seems to work better in 480p, but that's obviously not ideal.

I've tried all sorts of different things...restart, wifi on/off, bridge on/off...and none of it seems to help.

Anybody have ideas? Guess it might just be a lemon.
    04-27-11 03:06 PM
    the "device is full" is a known issue and was mentioned in another thread.
    choppy or frozen video is not something I've seen, and I've been running 1080p video tests since the weekend. Filled the device several times and the only problem I was bumping into was the erroneous "device is full".
    04-27-11 03:16 PM
    Maybe it's a memory issue...it shows that the device has 1 Gig of RAM, but with no apps running, nothing open on the device, it tells me I only have 433.5 MB available. Seems way low.
    04-27-11 03:57 PM
    Nope, not a memory issue. I watched that closely and it stays constant. Seems to just be a bug in the Camera app. After it craps out, I was able to start another video recording and it went for 30+ minutes before it hit the 4GB filesize limit.
    04-27-11 04:03 PM
    i too have been experiencing problems when taking video in 1080p. Mine just freezes and then resumes. The audio is then out of sync, but video quality is still in tact. I thought the latest patch may fix this, but no dice. I'm beginning to get frustrated.
    06-10-11 04:15 PM
    that doesn't sound good..I've never seen it freeze/resume before. I'd consider exchanging it.
    06-11-11 09:01 PM
    the playbook finally now records in 1080p but i see it hang sometimes while recording. it no longer gives me the "Device is full error" I am running 10.5.2342 and now the 1080p recorded video won't play back at all.
    06-11-11 09:37 PM
    I'd definitely recommend exchanging it in that case. 1080p recording has been flawless for me since day 1, save for the erroneous "device full" message that has now been resolved.
    06-12-11 12:48 AM
    I can see this is an old thread but I doubt that there is a fix for this issue which I believe is widespread. I just downloaded the newest patch so running 2.1.0.1088 and the problem remains. I find the video freeze problem extremely annoying since the playbook takes very good 1080p video. Today while shooting it froze repeatedly. Note to any BB programmers who look at these pages: please address this issue soon. If I'd known before purchasing I wouldn't have.
    11-24-12 03:29 PM
    Do you have any sideloaded apps loaded? I'm not saying that sideloading apps are a bad thing, but I've experienced battery drain, keys sticking when I type, choppiness to my video recording, etc., because of it. It's like something else is going on in the background utilizing CPU and possibly the WiFi. I have 5 playbooks in house right now but I've cleaned a couple and left the sideloaded apps off the newer ones and they work without issue. I used to be a sideloading junky but now I'm holding off since I can't find the offending sideloaded culprit or culprits and there no good way to uninstall them clean once you've loaded them without wiping your playbook and starting clean.

I think that many Android apps are extremely poorly written and once you port them over.. it just messes with the performance of the PB. For these issues it hard for me to blame the PB itself.

Just a thought...
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 11-24-12 at 05:39 PM.
    playbookpa and Carl Estes like this.
    11-24-12 03:40 PM
    The video pause is still an issue and I don't believe rim has figured out what causes it. It is a sad, annoying bug!
    11-24-12 04:23 PM
    Have you contacted RIM to discuss having the device replaced?
    You're posting on a community forum. No one here can solve this problem for you.
    I'm sure RIM would like to diagnose a device that exhibits this behaviour, because it sounds like the vast majority of users do not experience this problem.
    11-24-12 04:31 PM
    I just solved this issue by turning off file encryption. Before, 1080p recordings froze for about 30 frames every 10 seconds, and 720p froze for about 10 frames every minute. All recordings are smooth now, except for the occasional 10-frame hiccup when I have another heavy program open in Showcase mode (e.g., webpage with flash or lots of images). Turning off Showcase or exiting the problem program solves that minor issue.
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    11-25-12 05:33 PM
    This makes sense! I just turned on encryption the other day and the other day when I was taking video I noticed the pausing. Looks like I'll be turned off the encryption as it ruined some important video of my son.
    11-27-12 11:38 PM
    Ugh. I was hoping that that trick would work and get my FF camera to start working again but no. Checked to see that I've never activated the feature. It also seems that my rear camera isn't working anymore either. Just black screens when trying to switch between them.

Anyone have any ideas for a fix? I've never gotten the "device full" message, but I'm running low on storage now. Less than 1gb of free space.
    11-28-12 12:03 AM
    Ugh. I was hoping that that trick would work and get my FF camera to start working again but no. Checked to see that I've never activated the feature. It also seems that my rear camera isn't working anymore either. Just black screens when trying to switch between them.

Anyone have any ideas for a fix? I've never gotten the "device full" message, but I'm running low on storage now. Less than 1gb of free space.
    Copy/move files (videos, pictures, etc) off the device to a computer for storage to free up space. If that does not fix things, time to call rim

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    11-28-12 08:59 AM
    Well I confirmed it with my playbook - after turning off decryption and took some video the pausing issue disappeared.
    11-30-12 01:02 PM
    I have not enabled Encryption but still get that initial pause about 10 seconds into a video. It can really ruin the flow of an otherwise nice sequence or pan shot.
    11-30-12 03:33 PM
    Although this is a community forum, presumably RIM programmers must read it to get a sense of what needs addressing. Is this naive of me to assume this? In any case, my experience with the freezing issue goes back to last year some time. It was not there from the start. I took by PB to Italy in 2010 where it took great uninterrupted 1080p video. Now it can't take 10 seconds without stalling.
    12-03-12 01:37 AM
    Although this is a community forum, presumably RIM programmers must read it to get a sense of what needs addressing. Is this naive of me to assume this? In any case, my experience with the freezing issue goes back to last year some time. It was not there from the start. I took by PB to Italy in 2010 where it took great uninterrupted 1080p video. Now it can't take 10 seconds without stalling.
    While Rim folks might read things here, they have an official forum where you can post questions and issues and that way you can be sure someone at rim sees it. Not that I'd expect any response!!!!
    12-03-12 09:06 AM
    So I may have stumbled on just half of the solution. I recently moved around 40GB on and off the PlayBook, and the freezing came back. This points to some sort of issue with the file system. The solution was to encrypt the files, restart, then decrypt the files again. Whatever happens during this process seems to sort out the file system as well.

Give that a shot even if you have never encrypted your files.
    12-04-12 08:32 AM
    Reinstalling the OS is the solution. I had this exact problem. Unfortunately, you will lose the memory so backup what you can't afford to lose.
    12-18-12 12:33 AM
    Reinstalling the OS is the solution. I had this exact problem. Unfortunately, you will lose the memory so backup what you can't afford to lose.
    I use the PlayBook as a dashcam so I record heavily and move several gigs around every week. The freezing issue came back yesterday and the encrypt/decrypt process worked just fine without loss of data. Back to recording 1080p.
    12-18-12 04:16 PM
    I use the PlayBook as a dashcam so I record heavily and move several gigs around every week. The freezing issue came back yesterday and the encrypt/decrypt process worked just fine without loss of data. Back to recording 1080p.
    More detail, please....

So, the pb was recording fine for a while again. Then it the freeze started up for no particular reason yesterday. And then you encrypted/decrypted and the video is NO longer freezing?

I have to ask, I've probably got about 40 gigs of data on the 64gig pb. Is this going to be a very long and tedious Encrypt and then an equally long Decrypt? Again, I've never employed the Encrption stuff.

If this actually works, then we should have one of our FINE CONNECTED Crackberrians contact Rim about this solution - maybe they can figure out why this works???????
    12-18-12 05:48 PM
    BTW, how do you encrypt/decrypt files? How can I tell if I have decryption on or off?
    12-18-12 11:48 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD