the PB's browser has poor JS support. Many many sites need JS to run properly though its is double edged sword
    04-10-12 08:54 AM
    I've used the Dolphin Browser on an iPad and it works great. I wanted a Touch Pad, but missed out on the fire sale. The ported version on the PlayBook isn't as good. I really like Simple Browser for the PB.

Just my opinion...
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-10-12 08:57 AM
    the PB's browser has poor JS support. Many many sites need JS to run properly though its is double edged sword
    CrackBerry works fine. What else matters?
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-10-12 08:59 AM
    Everyone's not trying to set a benchmark goal when they want to use a browser.. The pb browser is just fine IMO.. Ofcourse it's missing a few features but other browsers are more about the add-ons which makes it feel cluttered and distracting even overwhelming on the small device.

Also, it's very good that the pb browser has 0 fault tolerance for errors in websites. Atleast we realize who's taking the efforts to build a clean website.

Just nitpicking on RIM as usual. All feature requests in here are just to make the PB more into an Android or iOS device but I feel the PB has a character of it's own. Like everytime I get fed up and do a security wipe.. I'm left with a few handful of things on my PB and that's when I feel this device is really complete. I just got to ease down on the feeling of wanting everything and doing nothing.
    Dolphin cluttered and overwhelming because of add-ons? Have you watched the video? Add-ons are nicely hidden in the right swipeable on-call menu. And as you can see, add-ons are not affecting the speed either. Besides, the browser itself comes without add-ons, you download only the ones you want.

All feature requests, at least by me, is to make the PB as usable as other devices. I don't think the PB will be more like Android, if we get search on page, bookmark management, go to top/bottom, backup, etc. Besides, speaking of imitation, it's not a bad thing to imitate the good that other platforms have, right? After all, the PBOS UI is itself an imitation.

As for fault intolerance, well, that's called instability. Stability is after all the ability to handle websites with various layouts and under various scenarios.

Edit: Your argument in bold. Do you really mean that? I thought people browse the web not because they want to spot imperfect websites and to see who's taking effort in building "clean" websites
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-10-12 at 02:22 PM.
    04-10-12 09:53 AM
    Someone posted turning off the permission for Allowing website to access my location, does the help speed the browser or is it just an illusion?
    !
    I've had mine turned off from day one. Will turn it on and see if it makes any difference.

As for JS, I have both JS and Flash turned off all the time. This makes the browser so much faster.
    04-10-12 10:03 AM
    Very Nice video! The PlayBook's natvie browser needs some work. But then again so does every browser. Would love to have a native Dolphin Browser though.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-10-12 10:05 AM
    You can in effect sync your bookmarks with your desktop by exporting your bookmarks as a HTML file- you can do this, at least. in Firefox and Opera. Then copy the HTML file to your playbook. Then navigate to it with a file browser, click on the file and then choose "open". It will then open in the PB browser. Then choose to bookmark the page in the PB browser. You'll then have, as one of your bookmarks, a bookmark that can be opened showing all of your desktop bookmarks.
    06-15-12 04:31 AM
    Dejavu. I already had a similar discussion.

Great logic.

As we speak, I'm sending an email to XDA and numerous other places asking them to kindly rewrite their websites because the PB browser can't handle them (whereas all other browsers don't have any problems with the sites) and it's not RIM's fault
    Just tried http://www.xda-developers.com under 2.1 beta and it loads fine. A little slow but stable. Seems like RIM is on top of the issue and already has a fix in the pipeline.

RCK
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-15-12 10:31 AM
    Just tried Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers under 2.1 beta and it loads fine. A little slow but stable. Seems like RIM is on top of the issue and already has a fix in the pipeline.

RCK
    Partially thanks to the collective effort by Crackberry users in reporting crashing websites, RIM fixed the browser crashing problem on certain websites in the latest stable update as well (2.0.1).

But it's great to know that the browser in 2.1 is still stable. Thanks.
    06-15-12 10:36 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD