This has me confused, and may have to do with some feature of which I am unfamiliar, but here goes and I leave it up to my Fellow Crackberrians to chime in!!

When I open the native Browser on my Playbook 64GB running OS2, from time to time i will hear a chime and what sounds like a phone ringing....no new emails or bridge PIN notices, etc., but on the home screen, top right, between the Bridge Icon and the screen orientation lock icon, there is what looks like a media player icon/button with play or pause, and there is a 4 second ringtone by "Unknown Artist" titled;

"outgoing_ring_126f6dbefdd6eddc45a6205747c25fa b" (see Picture)

Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated
    02-24-12 10:10 PM
    I was on the Gmail webpage when it happened. Just heard a chime then the outgoing ringtone. Didn't see any info like you did. It freaked me out. I hardly use Gmail so I thought maybe it was dialing a contact or something. Weird.
    02-24-12 10:17 PM
    I was on the Gmail webpage when it happened. Just heard a chime then the outgoing ringtone. Didn't see any info like you did. It freaked me out. I hardly use Gmail so I thought maybe it was dialing a contact or something. Weird.
    Ok even more interesting.....upon further investigation, it happens when I am on my Igoogle Homepage. Not sure why it would happen just with google......this gets stranger!!
    02-24-12 10:20 PM
    I have a feeling it may have something to do with Google.

I've noticed that if you were to watch an HTML5 video on YouTube for example, those same media controls will be displayed.
    02-24-12 10:32 PM
    I have the same issue when I go to igoogle.com.
    I hear what seems to be the same ringing I hear when I use google voice Calling from gmail on my p.c. I was excited because I thought I was able to use google voice on the playbook. Very strange.
    02-24-12 10:41 PM
    I am not sure what is happening but when you shrink the media player while it is playing, it will put an icon up on the status bar like in your picture. Now why something else is doing it must mean they have the ability to trigger the media player, I'd guess.
    02-24-12 10:47 PM
    Glad it is happening to others... until my wife heard it I was wondering about my sanity.... In my case my Playbook was just sitting there with nothing running.... One more interesting thing to investigate.....
    02-24-12 10:55 PM
    You can embed ringtones or even whole songs inside regular HTML code. When the browser sees such code, it downloads the associated sound file and then invokes the media player to play it.
    02-24-12 10:56 PM
    It has something to do with Google chat feature, which was hidden in the left margin of my iGoogle page. I either disabled the sounds (in settings) or signed out of chat, maybe both. My playbook doesn't ring any more, though.
    02-25-12 12:20 AM
    That's right, I got this too when I enabled chat on iGoogle. Logging off doesn't help, next time it will login and immediately back off. Log off then hide chat in iGoogle options did the trick. So much for Google chat...!
    03-11-12 08:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD