Hello folks. Just an introduction/hello to everyone here. I have been an Android follower for many years (first device was the Hero) and since have owned multiple Andorid based tablets with one of the latest being the ASUS Slider. They are nice devices, but I have always found it a bit "laggy" so to speak. I was actually looking into the Prime most recently, as the tax return Gods blessed me with a fair return

But, I felt that the purchase (albeit the quad core Tegra 3) would be a rehash regardless of the OS that I know. I wanted something completely new and different and found the 64GB Playbook on shop.blackberry for $299. A much cheaper investment than the prime of course. I realize certain limitations of the OS as compared to Android (specifically email apps and Netflix), but I figured what the heck. At that price it is worth the dive. The main thing that I like about it is the smoothness of the OS in all of the reviews I have watched. This thing looks to be as smooth as butter!

Needless to say, I can't wait until it arrives. I have downloaded all of the emulators currently available (since I am a vintage gamer kind of guy) and am looking forward to that. I ordered some accessories from right here on the Crackberry shop (case, HDMI, cradle) and am about to dive it and have fun with it.

Now as a new owner (or soon to be) I have been doing as much research as I can. I see that a sign up is needed for OS2 and I have that bookmarked. I also read that when connecting the device the first time you have the ability to install some form of manager that allows backup/restore. Is it recommended to first do this, perform a backup (of whatever os is on there out of the box), then do the update to the beta after the sign up? I just want to make sure I get this right...right out of the box.

Thanks for any insight and I look forward to contributing (where I can) to the community!
    02-06-12 11:16 PM
    Official OS2 will be pushed to all devices sometime this month, no work on your part needed.

Developer's Beta OS2 requires you to sign up, but I'd recomend you wait for the full version.

Do install Desktop Software as you can only backup/restore using it. Also, you won't be able to access files via USB without the drivers it provides. If you ever brick uou PB, DS will be telhe solution

A backup of a out-of-the-box PB is as good as no backup... Again, official should be dropping anytime from tomorrow to the 21st... I'd really just wait for it than poke around with tje crippled dev beta.

And welcome to the forums
    02-06-12 11:53 PM
    Welcome to the community. You will find lots of useful information here along with lot's of helpful people. My advice would be to hold off on registering for the 2.0 beta for a few reasons:

1. The release version is due out in the next 15 days or so.
    2. The 2.0 beta is a developers release and does not contain any of the consumer apps and options such as the new PIM apps.
    3. Any backups of the 2.0 beta are not backward compatible so you won't be able to restore 2.0 data if you reverted back.

It is always a good idea to backup frequently so a backup right after receiving and setting it up would be a good idea. Yes you would use the Blackberry Desktop Manger software available as a download from Blackberry.com to perform backups and restores.
    You would mostly need to be concerned about settings and user data for your backups. Apps aren't as critical to back up since App World keeps track of what you had installed and allows you to re-install without having to pay again (for paid apps).

A good place to start would be the here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/

Above all enjoy your new Playbook when it arrives.
    02-06-12 11:57 PM
    welcome to playbook and crackberry
    an amazing device and an amazing site populated by amazingly helpful people.
    enjoy
    02-07-12 12:05 AM
    welcome to playbook and crackberry
    an amazing device and an amazing site populated by amazingly helpful people.
    enjoy
    It's simply amazing!!

Seriously, though. Welcome to the CB family.
    02-07-12 12:18 AM
    i just got my first playbook today. loving it so far. wish it auto capitalized after a period though, whats up with that? anyways right out of the box your forced to connect to a wifi network then perform an update. unless you get it after 2.0 is released it will be 1.8. ive been setting everything up, rss feeds, podcasts, and any free apps. Im waiting on purchasing any apps untill 2.0 is released. just in case there not compatible or something, since its only a week or two away nbd
    02-07-12 12:31 AM
    i just got my first playbook today. loving it so far. wish it auto capitalized after a period though, whats up with that?
    This feature is already on the OS2 BETA and so will appear on the official 2 in a "few" days.
    02-07-12 12:43 AM
    welcome to the family man. the playbook is amazing to use and hope you'll love ur time with it.
    02-07-12 12:54 AM
    Thanks for all of the tips and replies! I'll wait for the final release of 2.0...it is a good thing I asked! I can't wait to get this thing now....if only shop.blackberry would supply me with a tracking number

Oh, I saw the mention of the desktop software. I have a quick question about this. Should I download and install it now in prep for the tablet, or does the tablet have the desktop software pre-loaded whereas when I first connect it, it will initiate a desktop software installation on the PC side (like many devices I have had in the past do)?
    Last edited by zektor666; 02-07-12 at 08:18 AM.
    02-07-12 08:08 AM
    Oh, I saw the mention of the desktop software. I have a quick question about this. Should I download and install it now in prep for the tablet, or does the tablet have the desktop software pre-loaded whereas when I first connect it, it will initiate a desktop software installation on the PC side (like many devices I have had in the past do)?
    The desktop software will install the first time the Playbook is connected to your PC.
    02-07-12 08:25 AM
    First let me say Welcome to the site of the MOST helpful Blackberry fans. Everyone here will be glad to assist you in anyway they can.

Secondly, Hope you enjoy your Playbook as much as SO MANY of us here have.

Thirdly, DM will be your friend. As stated, all your backup restores will be done through the software. You can either download the software from blackberry, or i believe it's included with the PB (not 100% about this).
    02-07-12 08:53 AM
    Download Desktop Manager (DM and its name may be evolving..) and install it. Although there is a beta of V. 7 that might be released soon, too. It does not automatically install. It works for both bb phones and the pb.

I do not sync with my pb but do with my bb phone. I also only backup Settings/Apps. But everyone has their own methods for backup and sync.

I manually backup my 20 or so gigs of music, photos, docs, etc by using drop/drag from Windows' Explorer.
    02-07-12 09:53 AM
    The desktop software will install the first time the Playbook is connected to your PC.
    The BlackBerry Desktop Software can be downloaded and installed anytime including before you receive your BlackBerry PlayBook. I recommend the book titled "BlackBerry PlayBook Companion" by Matthew W. Miller (ISBN: 978-1-118-02648-9) although it is specific to BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 1.x, and hopefully a 2.0 version will be available soon, this is a great introduction to the features and functionality of this tablet.
    02-07-12 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD