I have print subscriptions to both Glamour and People Style Watch magazines. I was extremely excited when I received respective e-mails from both magazines that print subscribers would be able to view the issues of the magazines on their tablets. I was super excited to be able to read my magazines on my playbook from now on. However, when I went to register to be able to do this, with both magazines, the "tablet" issues were only available on the IPad, Nook Colour, Nook Tablet, Kindle Fire, and Samsung Galaxy. No Playbook!

Does anyone know the reason for this???
    01-12-12 02:08 PM
    I have the same issue with some of my publications too. We have to wait for 2.0 to get the android versions
    01-12-12 02:11 PM
    complain to the company's to get playbook support
    01-12-12 02:15 PM
    I have the same issue with some of my publications too. We have to wait for 2.0 to get the android versions
    May I ask, the android version of what app? If the magazine publishers do not use a generic ebub reader then they must submit an app to app world that will run on the PB. Android apps have to be repackaged by their authors in order to be submitted to app world.

Even if the magazines can be read on a generic reader like Overdrive, the author of the app must submit a version for App World approval.

I would recommend that you contact the publishers to find out if and when they plan on supporting PB. At the very least they should specify in their advertising exactly which tablets they support and which ones they don't.

I acknowledge that there will be responses to my post that indicate that you can sideload android apps without the authors' intervention, however this solution is not a real option for the vast majority of consumers.
    01-12-12 02:27 PM
    Zinio is coming after OS 2.0 releases:

RIM Previews BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 at CES

Does Zinio have those mags?
    tekki likes this.
    01-12-12 04:15 PM
    This is the primary reason why in my opinion apps suck in general, taking nothing away from the PlayBook here or Apple's massive hardware sales of tables and smart-phones. Apps have no standard and because there is no standard every platform runs its "own" version of apps which is absurd. The whole mess will not be resolved for many years to come for sure but it will have to be if tablets are to become truly mainstream and very wide spread. Right now they are still not that prevalent and in a bit of a state of flux.

Imagine how the personal computer world would look like if we had 3-4 major operating systems competing for attention. You would not have 1/2 the software you have today, and that which is available would likely come with 1/2 the features.
    01-12-12 04:29 PM
    This is the primary reason why in my opinion apps suck in general, taking nothing away from the PlayBook here or Apple's massive hardware sales of tables and smart-phones. Apps have no standard and because there is no standard every platform runs its "own" version of apps which is absurd. The whole mess will not be resolved for many years to come for sure but it will have to be if tablets are to become truly mainstream and very wide spread. Right now they are still not that prevalent and in a bit of a state of flux.

Imagine how the personal computer world would look like if we had 3-4 major operating systems competing for attention. You would not have 1/2 the software you have today, and that which is available would likely come with 1/2 the features.
    Maybe this is where html5 comes in? But I think that is ways off yet.
    01-12-12 04:32 PM
    Send email to the company and complain. Easy as that. The more people complaining, the faster to get the app.

Adding info helps as well (telling them they can easily PORT the iOS app, for example) and refering them to where they can get the dev tools, etc...
    blue-b likes this.
    01-12-12 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD