Ok, so first I wasn't too impressed with the size of the Playbook, I just feel it's too small... but then again I realize that perhaps that's exactly the perfect size because I just don't want something to be too big.

Now, since Bridge exists, I can consider my Playbook to be connected to the internet, which is amazing! I don't have to worry about wifi (or at least wait for the carriers to roll hot spots for my 9900)

So my questions are

1. in regards to voice apps (such as skype) I know that doesn't exist, but is there anything close to it that is compatible with the iphone? a few of my friend have ifone and I was wondering if QNX has done something in regards to that

2. reading applications, (not books) but news, are there apps for those? I love reading when I'm on the metro and I was wondering if a. there are news apps, 2. if those are directly downloaded and stored on your playbook so that i don't have to use the internet while underground since there's no reception

3. does the playbook run .pdf files?

if you have any other recommendations please go ahead and let me know thanks a lot
    10-22-11 10:50 AM
    1. Not sure but i don't think there's any...for the moment.

2. Theres pressreader that i use to read newspaper. Download in the morning your edition and read it later. Theres a few apps from news website but i don't use them, i'm sure someone will write about it.

3. Yes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 10:58 AM
    Check out ReelPortal for video/voice chat. I don't know about its platforms.

There is a pdf reader included but it is quite weak - no search or bookmark/annotate functions.
    10-22-11 12:34 PM
    thanks for the update.

My only uncertainty is the size. While I think it is extremely portable, I sometimes wonder if the iPad is a better option for the size.

But of course, the fact the you can bridge it, gives it all the advantages in the world!

anyway... confusion
    10-22-11 05:57 PM
    thanks for the update.

My only uncertainty is the size. While I think it is extremely portable, I sometimes wonder if the iPad is a better option for the size.

But of course, the fact the you can bridge it, gives it all the advantages in the world!

anyway... confusion
    Depends if you want to carry it often. Playbook is always with me so the size is perfect. My wife keeps her tablet at home so she likes the ipad size.
    10-22-11 06:10 PM
    thanks for the update.

anyway... confusion
    I got the Playbook thinking I'd like the smaller size. Truth is, it looks and feels more discreet but that is about it. The iPad provides a much better experience.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.668268,-115.452912
    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    10-22-11 06:15 PM
    I'm facing the same dilema - whether to buy a Playbook or not. For me, it is just the right size for portability and more comfortable to hold. Right now I am using a Nook Color on which I installed Android, but I want to upgrade, preferably to the Playbook because I generally like Blackberry (have a BB phone) and I'm tired of running with the herd. I'm waiting for OS2 to make the Playbook what it should have been at launch.

As far as chat and pdf readers are concerned, I think it is just a matter of time. The playbook is a work in progress and the infrastructure just isn't there yet. But it's getting there. I'm sure that there will be plenty of apps for chat and pdf readers out the wazoo.
    10-22-11 06:20 PM
    I'm facing the same dilema - whether to buy a Playbook or not. For me, it is just the right size for portability and more comfortable to hold. Right now I am using a Nook Color on which I installed Android, but I want to upgrade, preferably to the Playbook because I generally like Blackberry (have a BB phone) and I'm tired of running with the herd. I'm waiting for OS2 to make the Playbook what it should have been at launch.

As far as chat and pdf readers are concerned, I think it is just a matter of time. The playbook is a work in progress and the infrastructure just isn't there yet. But it's getting there. I'm sure that there will be plenty of apps for chat and pdf readers out the wazoo.
    7 inches is a great size for carrying the device around. You already know since you have a nook color already.

If you already have a BB phone, then a playbook would be great because of the bridge functionality. Having internet on your playbook anywhere you have service with your BB is a great feature. Never having to worry about wi-fi is pretty cool.
    mz. yaya likes this.
    10-22-11 06:44 PM
    You can use Comwave ePhone for the BlackBerry PlayBook to make and receive voice and video chat calls. The application is free with a low annual fee; no monthly fees.
    10-22-11 06:50 PM
    You can use Comwave ePhone for the BlackBerry PlayBook to make and receive voice and video chat calls. The application is free with a low annual fee; no monthly fees.
    that's actually interesting, does that work on the iphone 4 as well?
    10-22-11 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD