USPS stops to accept international shipments with Li-Ion batteries outside US.

International sellers: USPS announcement regarding international shipments of items with lithium-ion batteries | eBay Announcement Page

Good news for:
    - Far Eastern sellers of "clones", they now face less competition from original brands market.
    - (probably) for US customers, except non-continental. As (probably again) US based sellers will have to cut prices. 16GB PB under 150USD?
    - FedEx, UPS will expand customers base.

Not good for US merchants.
    Very disappointing for non-US customers... I bought most of my small electronics items from US sellers via Ebay and Amazon in last 2 years and I know many other people who switched completely to this kind of shopping due either limited choice or high customs duties at home.

Yeah, and long live Bureaucracy.
    Free market economy, you say?
    05-19-12 08:07 AM
    So sellers will have to use fed-ex or UPS. Not a huge problem, and just another reason why the USPS is dying and running at a loss year after year.
    05-19-12 09:10 AM
    So sellers will have to use fed-ex or UPS. Not a huge problem, and just another reason why the USPS is dying and running at a loss year after year.
    The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act is the main reason they are operating at a loss. The PO would be profitable(most years)if they were not required to fund future retirement benefits at 6 billion a year. When coupled with the decrease in direct mail, increase in email and the inability to raise rates, the outlook for the post office is grim.
    TBone4eva and Hgouck like this.
    05-19-12 09:49 AM
    Many US-based ebay sellers actually just have the products drop-shipped from Hong Kong or elsewhere in China anyway. There's no way to tell from the ad, except perhaps if the estimated shipping time is 14+ days.
    05-19-12 09:57 AM
    Li-Ion batteries are highly flammable. There have been at least one crash of cargo jets because of battery fires in the cargo area. Once they ignite they aren't going to be put out.

Lithium Ion Batteries Faulted for Jet Crash — Cleantech News and Analysis

Also look at some of these EV cars that are going up. You can be mad all you want but I prefer safety for people instead of cheap Chiwanese battery availability.
    05-19-12 11:29 AM
    Li-Ion batteries are highly flammable. There have been at least one crash of cargo jets because of battery fires in the cargo area. Once they ignite they aren't going to be put out.

Lithium Ion Batteries Faulted for Jet Crash — Cleantech News and Analysis

Also look at some of these EV cars that are going up. You can be mad all you want but I prefer safety for people instead of cheap Chiwanese battery availability.
    I have not found final report on UPS freighter crash described in this article. Interim report posted on http://www.gcaa.gov.ae doesn't contain any conclusion on reason of fire (yet it does include extensive material about lithium batteries hazard risk).

Safety in transport industry is of paramount importance. But restrictions should be based on hard data, which is still missing (at least that's my personal opinion after studying various info about li-ion batteries shipping). Safety regulations should target real, not imaginable, threat. Otherwise, industry and consumers pay extra costs and - even more important - real dangers might remain unidentified.
    05-21-12 04:36 PM
    usps? that thing still around?
    05-21-12 04:46 PM
    Yes, but you'll have to do your own sorting and distribution!
    05-21-12 06:04 PM
    I have not found final report on UPS freighter crash described in this article. Interim report posted on http://www.gcaa.gov.ae doesn't contain any conclusion on reason of fire (yet it does include extensive material about lithium batteries hazard risk).

Safety in transport industry is of paramount importance. But restrictions should be based on hard data, which is still missing (at least that's my personal opinion after studying various info about li-ion batteries shipping). Safety regulations should target real, not imaginable, threat. Otherwise, industry and consumers pay extra costs and - even more important - real dangers might remain unidentified.
    The FAA has had 121 reports of fires involving batteries. The problem with li-ion, is even if they aren't the cause of the fire, once they catch on fire they burn extremely hot. So if you have a lot in a confined space it creates greater risk whether they are the direct cause of the fire, or they are caught in a fire started by something else. That is a fact.
    05-21-12 06:48 PM
    For what it's worth, US vendors will lose sales from Canadians if the only shipping is via UPS. If as a Canadian I purchase something for, say, $100, the shipping costs from UPS may be, say, $16, BUT when the parcel is delivered there is a COD "clearing" charge wnich generally equates to close to the $100 purchase price. That means that the item will, in fact, cost almost double. Weight nor size matters - only the item's price.

However reasonable this new policy is, it still means that US vendors will lose potential sales to Canadians.
    05-21-12 07:17 PM
    For what it's worth, US vendors will lose sales from Canadians if the only shipping is via UPS. If as a Canadian I purchase something for, say, $100, the shipping costs from UPS may be, say, $16, BUT when the parcel is delivered there is a COD "clearing" charge wnich generally equates to close to the $100 purchase price. That means that the item will, in fact, cost almost double. Weight nor size matters - only the item's price.

However reasonable this new policy is, it still means that US vendors will lose potential sales to Canadians.
    Exactly, usps which gets transferred to Canada post for delivery charge $7 brokerage fee plus 13% tax so $20 at most for a $100 item
    05-21-12 07:29 PM
    Exactly, usps which gets transferred to Canada post for delivery charge $7 brokerage fee plus 13% tax so $20 at most for a $100 item
    Actually, I've been very lucky and have seldom had to pay extra with Canada Post ... but UPS never failed to collect.
    05-21-12 07:47 PM
    Well, as I understand (as a customer, not seller), they are the cheapest for international parcels ex US. My choice was always USPS.
    05-24-12 10:25 AM
    The FAA has had 121 reports of fires involving batteries. The problem with li-ion, is even if they aren't the cause of the fire, once they catch on fire they burn extremely hot. So if you have a lot in a confined space it creates greater risk whether they are the direct cause of the fire, or they are caught in a fire started by something else. That is a fact.
    I agree with everything above.
    But 'devil in details', as usually. Just few cases where those li-ion or li-metal has been identified as original sources of fire. Yes, they can produce oxygen thus mitigating extinquishing effect of most systems. But it's pure theory and need practical testing: what is criticall mass of li-on batteries in given volume, which will produce so much oxygen as to support uncontrollable combustion. And were other measures studied, besides a ban, remains open question.
    Transport industry used to deal with dangerous and flammable substances for centuries.
    Cotton bales are extremely dangerous once caught fire. Tanker vessel, once she discharged cargo of gasoline is a floating mega bomb, until de-gased. There is good reason why 'safety first' sign is displayed on ship's bridges. But - we have seen too many cases when prohibition and restrictions were introduced by officials without good evidence, just due to paranoia (or corruption in worst cases).
    Hence, my concerns.
    05-24-12 10:47 AM
    The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act is the main reason they are operating at a loss. The PO would be profitable(most years)if they were not required to fund future retirement benefits at 6 billion a year. When coupled with the decrease in direct mail, increase in email and the inability to raise rates, the outlook for the post office is grim.
    AND if they get rid of the "no Layoff" policy in place,

AND if they get rid of the "Bulk Mail" rate for all the trash/flyers/advertisements that clog your/our/my mailbox.

C
    05-24-12 01:04 PM
    AND if they get rid of the "no Layoff" policy in place,

AND if they get rid of the "Bulk Mail" rate for all the trash/flyers/advertisements that clog your/our/my mailbox.

C
    How about the political mail that gets better then first class service at the lowest per piece cost.
    Bulk mail gets a better rate because it pre-sorted. Sometimes even down to carriers walking sequence. USPS needs to nothing but drop the container at the local post office(DDU).
    05-24-12 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD