It should be noted the VZW does charge extra to tether, and is an extra option on top of bridging. Tethering (last I was informed) is extra for Verizon, and is a little bit faster than normal bridge data speed. Fortunately, you do not have to tether in order to use data for Web, Email, etc. However, I don't believe App World on the PB will connect through just a Bridge (non-tether) data connection. Unsure on that point, maybe someone else can confirm

Just an FYI.

Either way, my 9930 and PB stay bridged all the time. And the remote feature is very slick for sitting the PB down in front of you and browsing the web.
    Same with Bell - Bridge is free but tethering is extra.
    05-14-12 04:02 PM
    no wifi - no app store.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but regular wifi access IS a necessity.
    Future iterations of Bridge are suppose to support App World and all other apps the same as wireless does now.

Until then, you can use free wireless at libraries, work, etc to access app world.

05-14-12 04:05 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Im confused now!! So even though i have unlimited internet on my BB, i may still get charged for hooking it upto my Playbook?

I've been on BBWorld on my phone and seen the app called Bridge that i can download for free, so if i do this, and get a Playbook, would i be able to use the internet for free?!

thanks
    To clarify: There are two ways of relaying out to the internet through your phone's data plan. Bridging and tethering. Both connect over Bluetooth, so you will never see blazing speed. (The next version of Bridge will allow bridging over wifi, though; we're all looking forward to that.)

Unless your carrier is AT&T, bridging is free. There is reportedly a way to get around this offensive insult from AT&T; this is why a previous poster advised you to not install Bridge from App World if you have AT&T. The downside to bridging is that only those apps which have specifically been written to use the bridged connection can do so; other apps will not see the connection. Apps that will work when bridged include the browser and BlackBerry News; those that will not work bridged include App World (possibly changing in a future update) and almost everything else.

Tethering has the advantage that all apps will be able to use the connection; it will appear to your apps as if your phone's cellular connection is a local Wifi network. The drawback is that you must pay your carrier for a tethering plan, and obtain a username and password to use when connecting via tethering.

Understand this: You need Wifi access to perform initial setup and to install apps. In order to set up your PB for first use, you must be able to connect to the internet through a Wifi connection to download any necessary updates and configure App World. And unlike a BB phone, you cannot use Desktop Manager to install and remove apps on your PB through your PC; so until a future update allows this to be done over Bridge, you also need Wifi to install apps.
    Last edited by cletis; 05-14-12 at 05:02 PM.
    Angus_CB and curve-20 like this.
    05-14-12 04:55 PM
    Vodafone UK and Three offers free tethering.
    05-14-12 06:35 PM
    I am an AT&T subscriber and there is "no charge" to access BB PB Bridge to my BB Curve 8900 however, AT&T does require a seperate Data Plan add charge to Tether.
    EDGE connection I have found to be too slow for Tether to BB Curve and much quicker on a BB Torch 9800 3G connection so I concluded that 3G is the minimum needed to replace WiFi if you have to rely on Tether for access to Web/Internet.

4G obviously will be mo'better when it becomes available more widely geographically.

05-15-12 10:44 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD