3. turn the playbook off
    ?
    10-11-13 11:05 AM
    when charging the playbook with the magnetic rapid charger is it best to
    1. leave the playbook on
    2. leave the playbook in standby mode
    3. turn the playbook off
    ?
    Would not matter. I kept one on charging dock most time and one on rapid charger when return to home.
    Carl Estes and FF22 like this.
    10-11-13 11:08 AM
    I just stick it in stand by to "save" the screen life. It usually times out pretty quick if you leave it on anyway. I only turn it off when I know I won't be using it for a while (e.g. days). It takes too long to boot up. Might charge up a little faster when off but I get a full charge in about 2-3 hrs from 20-30%. I dunno.
    10-11-13 12:29 PM
    I just stick it in stand by to "save" the screen life. It usually times out pretty quick if you leave it on anyway. I only turn it off when I know I won't be using it for a while (e.g. days). It takes too long to boot up. Might charge up a little faster when off but I get a full charge in about 2-3 hrs from 20-30%. I dunno.
    One advantage of the rapid travel charger or dock is that the charging will proceed at the maximum rate allowed by the PB, up to 2.4 amps, even while you continue to use the playbook. Turning the PB off or placing it in standby won't shorten charging time. As far as putting in standby to save screen life that seems intuitively to be a good idea but is there any data to support that idea?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-11-13 01:47 PM
    Just use it.

One note though, using it in the charging stand as an alarm clock and not fully discharging the battery will shorten the battery's life.
    10-11-13 02:25 PM
    Just use it.

One note though, using it in the charging stand as an alarm clock and not fully discharging the battery will shorten the battery's life.
    You really do not want to run the PB down to zero, you will have to go thru a process to get the PB back up and running again, using "stack Charging". The PLaybook does not like this.

As long as you use it reasonably regularly for whatever, and then keeping it on the dock to keep it charged, regardless of what app you have running it won't hurt it at all.

I have my "Media" Playbook connected to tv/Audio system, constantly connected to power and HDMI and have no issues with battery life when used elsewhere. I purchased both at launch (ouch) and my batteries health are running at about 92% and 96% for both of them using Battery Guru (in App world, get it), and recharge count is running
    524/92% and 324/96%
    c
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    10-11-13 02:37 PM
    You really do not want to run the PB down to zero, you will have to go thru a process to get the PB back up and running again, using "stack Charging". The PLaybook does not like this.

As long as you use it reasonably regularly for whatever, and then keeping it on the dock to keep it charged, regardless of what app you have running it won't hurt it at all.

I have my "Media" Playbook connected to tv/Audio system, constantly connected to power and HDMI and have no issues with battery life when used elsewhere. I purchased both at launch (ouch) and my batteries health are running at about 92% and 96% for both of them using Battery Guru (in App world, get it), and recharge count is running
    524/92% and 324/96%
    c
    There is some data that keeping at 100% charge shortens battery life. That is why batteries are shipped with 50-60% charge. See Table 3 in the following reference. Admittedly this is old data and the battery in the Blackberry PB may act differently and do much better. The data given in the above quote does indicate better performance. But the trends in the reference are still worth noting are still suggestive.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    10-11-13 03:15 PM
    Just use it.

No, on the contrary. Using in craddle will not shorten battery's life. But full discharge will.
    Luckilly, PB will not go down to zero charge, it normally goes off at 7%-10%.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-12-13 05:37 AM
    There is some data that keeping at 100% charge shortens battery life. That is why batteries are shipped with 50-60% charge. See Table 3 in the following reference. Admittedly this is old data and the battery in the Blackberry PB may act differently and do much better. The data given in the above quote does indicate better performance. But the trends in the reference are still worth noting are still suggestive.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    True.
    However, if I'm not mistaken, PB does not keep 100% all the time while connected to power source.
    10-12-13 05:39 AM
    From my experience the PB does stay at 100% while connected to power. It appears that once the battery reaches 100% the PB will stop charging and run on the power source.
    I have looked at data from the guru app from times when I have the PB connected for a period of 10-12 hours and see 100% for the entire period. Maybe someone that leaves the PB connected for longer periods can look to see if it ever moves from 100%
    In any case, 100% or 99.9% is essentially the same thing.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-12-13 08:10 AM
    No, on the contrary. Using in craddle will not shorten battery's life. But full discharge will.
    Luckilly, PB will not go down to zero charge, it normally goes off at 7%-10%.
    Deep discharges do shorten battery life as indicated in the reference in my previous post.

If there is data showing that keeping in the cradle at essentially full charge does not shorten battery life perhaps the poster would share it.

Nevertheless use the PB the way you want to. Most people seem to have pretty good experience with the battery. Things to avoid most are deep discharges and high temperatures above 40 C. One thing about running in the dock is the PB is bare without an insulating case and thus will can get rid of heat more easily.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-12-13 01:51 PM
    No need to turn PB off. Leave it on charge stand and pickup whenever you want to use instantly without having to wait for boot up.
    I find having 2 rapid charges is great. I leave one on nightstand and one in location where I typically typically use it so as soon as I'm done it goes straight back to charging. I use mine ALOT and i don't remember the last time it went past 60%
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    10-13-13 11:37 AM
    You really do not want to run the PB down to zero, you will have to go thru a process to get the PB back up and running again, using "stack Charging".
    You are mistaken. I typically allow my BlackBerry PlayBook to discharge to 0% according to the built-in battery meter and it recharges normally.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-14-13 04:42 AM
    You are mistaken. I typically allow my BlackBerry PlayBook to discharge to 0% according to the built-in battery meter and it recharges normally.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    It's not an absolute but a possibility. There are many, many accounts of charging abnormalities when fully discharged. Whether this is because of the charging circuit/software control, standard vs. rapid charger, or hardware (miniUSB) failure, it is difficult to tell. Even NIB PB are affected. I agree that the PB should charge back easily from 0% no matter what. Consider yourself "lucky"? I don't take the risk and never get to the point where the PB shuts down automatically before charging.
    10-14-13 07:10 AM