Ok. So I'm thinking about buying the Playbook and wondering : Can I access the internet through the Playbook whilst it is connected to my 9900? For instance I could drive to a service station and surf the internet on my Playbook at 3G speeds ????
    This would really clinch it for me I think.
    09-27-11 02:35 PM
    Yes and after the latest bridge update many apps work as well.
    09-27-11 02:40 PM
    Ok. So I'm thinking about buying the Playbook and wondering : Can I access the internet through the Playbook whilst it is connected to my 9900? For instance I could drive to a service station and surf the internet on my Playbook at 3G speeds ????
    This would really clinch it for me I think.
    Bridge is a unique feature of the Playbook. If you are an AT&T customer, you will need to download the Bridge App to your phone through a sticky in this forum or through rroyy's web page to get free functionality. AT&T is the only carrier I know that is blocking Bridge functionality unless you pay for it.
    09-27-11 02:46 PM
    that's right! did exactly just that with my wife who was complaining at the time i purchased it -we were at a gas station and i pulled out the pb and loaded up facebook through the bridged browser and she was surprised to surf while i was filling up the gas.

what i especially remember was the setup. when i first went to "bridge" the pb with my torch, it said to install the bridge application on the torch through appworld did that, scanned the pin barcode off my torch and everything just connected.

never looked back - use it daily for work and play.
    Last edited by mercadodon; 09-27-11 at 02:53 PM.
    09-27-11 02:49 PM
    While we were waiting for a table the other night, I went to the bar to get some beers while my wife was using the Facebook app. A room apart or more and she didn't even know it was using the bridge, just happily browsing along.

One place we go has some funky wifi router. If it hasn't been reset in a few weeks, the PB seems to have trouble connecting. My BB sees it fine though, so the PB uses the bridge to my BB that is then using free wifi. It's a great setup.
    09-27-11 02:52 PM
    LOL, that Facebook is like an adult-sized pacifier... Look, honey, Shiny object...

FF22, thekapitu and LewLew23 like this.
    09-27-11 02:54 PM
    Yes and after the latest bridge update many apps work as well.
    When you say many apps work as well, do you mean some of my favorite BB apps will show in the PB? One if the apps I used the most was Exgis Time Tracking.
    09-27-11 03:00 PM
    When you say many apps work as well, do you mean some of my favorite BB apps will show in the PB? One if the apps I used the most was Exgis Time Tracking.
    No, but many of the PlayBook's apps can use the Bridge connection to function. At first, Bridge only allowed the Bridge Browser
    09-27-11 03:06 PM
    And you still need wifi to use Appworld.
    09-27-11 05:11 PM
    I use that also great app! that and Slicktasks are the only apps I need/use. - have been looking for it on playbook, or something as good.

But no, the only way is to use an app called "Phone remote" to view your phone screen, and control the app, but that currently requires wifi, - will be bluetooth also when the NDK comes out.

really though _ I would rather jmust keep it on my phone since I carry that around morwe often than the playbook.
    09-27-11 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD