I am ripping a DVD for my class... "The Presidents" disc 1, and it says it has an hour and eleven minutes left... does that sound about right?

Now when it's done I can just plug in the PB and transfer it over from my computer?

I am transferring it in MP4 format.
    06-29-11 08:21 PM
    Let us know how this works. I was told handbrake is only formatting software and not ripping software. I also need to be able to rip dvds.
    06-29-11 08:55 PM
    I think I must be doing something wrong..... video was ripped to my computer but the picture was garbage, not just grainy or not very clear but unviewable. Green and red blocks all over the screen and it appeared that the video was jumping in spots.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    06-29-11 09:52 PM
    OK I have a PC and all of the preset options on the righthand side are Apple options... I have the windows software downloaded, shouldn't I have windows based options?
    06-29-11 09:57 PM
    Dvd was more than likely coded so you can't rip it. Look for other programs. As for formatting I use xmedia recode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 10:30 PM
    handbrake was originally designed for mac so the pc version probably just carries over all of the mac presets (iphone, ipad, etc). handbrake is also just for formatting already ripped media, unless you have an already unencrypted dvd. have you tried finding your movie on torrent anywhere, you may be able to get it already formatted in mp4 and then it would just be a matter of plugging in your PB and copying it to the videos folder...
    06-29-11 11:28 PM
    i use dvd shrink to rip.
    06-29-11 11:34 PM
    DVD Catalyst works great - the PB is listed as an output device, once ripped you simply connect the PB to your PC using the USB cable ( so it appears as the Z drive ) and drag/drop or copy/paste the files into the Videos folder....quality is excellent.

Andy
    06-30-11 05:23 AM
    I think I must be doing something wrong..... video was ripped to my computer but the picture was garbage, not just grainy or not very clear but unviewable. Green and red blocks all over the screen and it appeared that the video was jumping in spots.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    I use Handbrake on PCLinuxOS though the operating system should not make any difference. When you choose the quality (compression factor) I set it to 1:1 which produces an exact image of the original media and this eliminates 99.9% of any graininess on playback. Under the Video tab select Video Codec: H.264, Framerate: Same as source, Constant Quality, RF: 1 (slide selector to the far right). I cannot speak to the DRM on "The Presidents" DVD but having copied/ripped a 12-DVD set of Sherlock Holmes with those settings produced very high quality MP4s. I remember watching this series on television and the picture quality on BlackBerry PlayBook is real-to-life.

If you can watch the DVD on your computer, you should have the proper codecs installed to obtain excellent results with Handbrake. Enjoy!
    06-30-11 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD