Interesting article about Tablet usage:
    People Who Own Tablets Are Glued to Them, Read More News

I know I'm definitely in that "News Consumer" category since my PlayBook is effectively my newspaper(s).
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    10-28-11 09:24 AM
    Interesting statistic about the usage of apps vs going to the website. I would have guessed that the majority of tablet users (which are using the iPad) would be using the apps. Isn't that the whole argument against the Playbook??

For me, I use the web more than any app on my Playbook for news. That includes the Crackberry app.
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    10-28-11 09:30 AM
    Interesting statistic about the usage of apps vs going to the website. I would have guessed that the majority of tablet users (which are using the iPad) would be using the apps. Isn't that the whole argument against the Playbook??

For me, I use the web more than any app on my Playbook for news. That includes the Crackberry app.
    Same here. Probably as much due to the lack of "apps" that let me load network news (like NBC nightly news for example) like you can on an iPxx.
    10-28-11 09:33 AM
    ^^+1 for both of those comments.

I was going to add as part of my "News Consumer" comment that I also fall into the category of using the browser rather than apps, but since the PB has so few, if any, dedicated news apps that I figured that would be the default category for PB users. I do use the "News" app that comes standard on the PB, but not very thoroughly.

I might use more apps if they were available, though, since I've noticed that I very much like the USA Today app on my wife's iPad. Can make it a handy way to peruse favorite news outlets.
    10-28-11 09:40 AM
    I couldn't wait to read the newspaper on the PB. And gives me a better view than using the 9810 all the time.
    10-28-11 09:45 AM
    I couldn't wait to read the newspaper on the PB. And gives me a better view than using the 9810 all the time.
    Good point. Before getting my PB I was always browsing news sites on my Bold 9650 which I didn't mind doing as long as the sites were mobile optimized, but the PB is a great improvement in general readability and browsing without having to lug out the laptop.
    10-28-11 09:55 AM
    "One noteworthy tidbit from the Pew survey, which may or may not have an impact on other industries, is the break-down of users who get their news from native apps as opposed to browsing to content on the Web. Interestingly enough, 40% of respondents said they used the Web browser to access to news, compared to 21% who exclusively used apps"

Does the PB really miss apps, or is the HTML5 wheel spinning the story ?

10-28-11 09:59 AM
    Does the PB really miss apps, or is the HTML5 wheel spinning the story?
    There are some applications that may well necessitate having native apps, but there's no doubt that HTML5 and a completely web/cloud-based experience is the wave of the future.
    10-28-11 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD