So, I'm thinking one day, wouldn't it be cool if I could control the music playing on my Ipod Touch from my Playbook, much like the various remote apps let me control my phone from my Playbook?

At first I considered some form of VNC type implementation. I went to the Apple App store and stumbled upon a couple of apps, one of them being Music Remote which purports to work over wifi and allows any web browser to control the iPod. It costs a few bucks and I figured I'd risk a few bucks and take the plunge. I'm pleased to say it has paid off. Here is my setup.

I have an old NAD 3020 amp that was cutting edge about 25 years ago and some awesome speakers. The sound quality is impressive and beats the pants off my Pioneer surround sound system which has an iPod dock and remote control, two features the NAD 3020 lacks. So I connect the iPod through the headphone jacks and the RCA tape inputs on the NAD. But, I have to get up to skip songs, change volume, etc.

With Music Remote I can now do this from Playbook using the browser. Simply install Music Remote on your iPod, go to the music app, select the songs you want to hear or select a playlist, then launch Music Remote. When it launches it shows the URL you need to plug into your Playbook's browser and off you go. It even shows the album artwork on the screen along with controls to play, pause, skip, and adjust volume. Because, it uses wifi and doesn't rely on line of sight like an IR remote, you can control it anywhere you get a wifi signal, such as your back yard, another room, etc. I've attached a screenshot.

There are some drawbacks: (1) you have to select your playlist from the music app on the iPod, and it cannot be done remotely (2) it can also be a bit tempermental. I had to try it a few times before I got it to connect, so be patient. (3) it overrides the screen shutoff and lock function on the iPod, so the power drains fast. Keep the iPod plugged in while you use it so as to not kill the battery during a long listening session.

Have fun!
    Last edited by deswayze; 12-03-11 at 02:14 PM.
    clif88 likes this.
    12-03-11 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD