CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Use Playbook as Media Server?

Is there a way to get the Playbook to function as a media server?

I use wifi file sharing to transfer movies / tv shows to my playbook all the time, which works great. But is it possible for a device, like the Playstation 3, to find the Playbook as a 'media server' so I can browse music/videos over wifi from the playbook > to the ps3 > to the TV?
    CrackBerry User

I use mine as a media server in a slightly different way. I have mine plugged in via hdmi to my receiver, which my TV, consoles, and 7.1 surround sound Polk speakers are plugged into. Then via wifi I have my PlayBook linked to a Seagate GoFlex 500gig wifi hard drive. If the usb on the PlayBook eventually supports external HD I will use my 2TB external.

I think some routers support adding an external hard drive directly to the router, possibly allowing the PlayBook access that way. Not sure though, don't know much about that except that my router doesn't allow for it.

[edit] That doesn't really answer your question though, my ps3 doesn't see my PlayBook to play files off of it that way. Not trying to brag about my set up or anything, but might give you and / or others some ideas of how to incorporate your PlayBooks into an entertainment center.
    Last edited by Fenlenus; 08-02-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

How are you able to access the media on your server via Wifi? FTP?

I'm interested in doing this as well, can't stand having to copy files over wifi onto the Playbook, especially if there's a way to stream.
    StikiGreenZ - BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry PlayBook
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Fenlenus View Post

I think some routers support adding an external hard drive directly to the router, possibly allowing the PlayBook access that way. Not sure though, don't know much about that except that my router doesn't allow for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You would need dlna support for this to work, but unfortunately the playbook does not have that yet. I believe RIM has submitted to dlna for support but has not received it yet.
    CrackBerry Genius

I have a Patriot Box Office, and I can see the PlayBook as a device on my network (when PlayBook is on wifi). It was then a matter of playing the files on the PlayBook using the Box Office...
    CrackBerry User

My WD TV Live Plus sees the Playbook and will stream from it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

grr so for ps3 specifically we have to wait for dlna, but i guess it's good that there are other devices it works with
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by StikiGreenZ View Post
    How are you able to access the media on your server via Wifi? FTP?

I'm interested in doing this as well, can't stand having to copy files over wifi onto the Playbook, especially if there's a way to stream.
    If you are just trying to stream movies TO your playbook from pc/mac, you can just install a webserver on your pc then browse to it on the playbook browser. For example my desktop is running wamp server (free download, or just use IIS or Apache), then i browse to pc ip via the web browser. If you click avi or mp4 the pb will stream the movie, the pb media player shows up inside the window (just scroll to bottom right and click maximize).

If you have lot of mkv files (which are not supported atm), you can install orb on your pc/mac and then either use browser (mycast.orb.com) or orb client (app world) and stream your content as flash, then you don't need to convert mkv files either (one thing i noticed is in one movie it picked the commentry audio stream instead of the movie audio stream). There is a thread about setting up orb for playbook use.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts

I ve been using my Wd live media player to stream music from PB to my Hometheater for quite some time... Videos would be a little choppy if it is hd quality... i guess that would entirely depend on the modem... but according to me anything that is dlna compliant should be able to stream from PB. Got to try if i can stream it to my apple tv will update later.
    CrackBerry User

You might want to look into using a DLNA / uPNP server on your PC. If you can access a web browser interface, you can still get at the data.

For instance, MediaTomb is an open source application that will serve music and video to devices such as the PS3, but for those that don't support streaming media yet (such as the PlayBook), you can browse directly to the MediaTomb software in the browser. It's quite neat.

On the plus side, if MediaTomb is setup right, it will automagically transcode your video and audio to make it compatible with your device.

I used to use this for my N700, which supports streaming. The only reason I'm not using it with my PlayBook at the moment is becuase my wireless in my home is quite terrible.

CrackBerry User

Boxee Box sees and streams from the Playbook too. Works great.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Since it was mentioned earlier, question re PS3:

Does the PS3 directly (without conversion) play the MP4 files that the PlayBook records?

I've just been playing with the Coherence UPnP/DLNA media server, and it works perfectly well in my initial tests for streaming files from the voice/ and camera/ folders on the PlayBook, to my PC.

On the PS3, it finds the media server just fine, and can do slideshows of the photos, plays the M4A files just fine in the music player, but in the video player it lets me select the MP4 files, but after trying for a moment it says they are "corrupted". They're not... the same files work fine on the PB itself (of course) and on my Win 7 box in the Windows Media Player.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Correction, I misremembered the message. It was "The data type is not supported." with a code which I should probably look up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Use Playbook as Media Server?-air_20111220_00000.jpg  
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,339 Global Posts

the playbook is seen on any device/app that supports samba shares. ie boxee, mplayer ce for wii
    Z30 on AT&T - OS 10.2.XXXX as a daily driver
    HTC ONE Google Play Edition, Nokia Lumia 1020, Iphone 5S for development and testing.
    Ipad Mini with Retina for fun
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2001bmw330xi View Post
    grr so for ps3 specifically we have to wait for dlna, but i guess it's good that there are other devices it works with
    I imagine we might be waiting for sometime seeing as how Sony's own android tablets are not recognized by the PS3.
    The Z10 will be my last BB phone; switching platforms.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have a WDTV live but it doesn't detect my playbook as a network share.
    Can anyone give me a tip as how to get this working?
    CrackBerry Addict

The playbook exposes it's codecs to the web browser and the html5 video tag.

Writing a streaming server in html is not difficult, making the ability to read shares an annoyance, not as debilitating as it seemed at first, and the DLNA b.s. unnecessary.

I have posted s simple streaming server in the forums.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,984 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!