I bought a used bb playbook but did not include the original charger. I was wondering if i can use my bb bold 9900 charger?
    10-27-11 11:19 PM
    I don't think so.
    I think the power of the phone charger is not enough for the Playbook (or maybe this was just my experience with it)

On the other hand, you can use the PB's charger to charge your phone faster.
    10-27-11 11:32 PM
    Actually you can use it. I have charged it, but it takes longer to charge, alot longer its different amprage
    batboris likes this.
    10-27-11 11:35 PM
    Personally I wouldn't - a difference in amp rating is enough to burn out components over time.
    asianstutter likes this.
    10-27-11 11:47 PM
    This has been covered in the forums a bunch of times.

Playbook charger to charge your berry = good

Berry charger to charge your Playbook = bad

Something about the lower amperage of the berry charger not being good for your PB battery.
    10-27-11 11:49 PM
    This about it for a minute. Do you have another special charger. If that the case what cable do u use to plug to your computer to sync from and to?
    10-28-11 12:14 AM
    This has been covered in the forums a bunch of times.

Playbook charger to charge your berry = good

Berry charger to charge your Playbook = bad

Something about the lower amperage of the berry charger not being good for your PB battery.
    But what about the lower amperage of a USB port? My PB charges when I connect it to my computer...
    10-28-11 01:45 AM
    Personally I wouldn't - a difference in amp rating is enough to burn out components over time.
    not true... the device only draws as much current as it needs...bb phone charger cant supply as much current so the charge will be slower.

i have used both chargers with phone or playbook. But not so much phone to charge playbook... too damn slow. best to get the playbook charger or better yet the charging stand so you dont risk damaging your usb connector...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-28-11 at 03:11 AM.
    10-28-11 03:06 AM
    Staples has the OEM PlayBook charger for 15.90 usd.

Pick up two. Its a deal.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    10-28-11 03:29 AM
    i got few bb charger,my problem is wheni plug in my storm charger to my pb and it will act funny like all icon jumping until hang,touch screen not working,but when i plug in my 9000 or torch charger it'll be fine,but slower or faster i'm not sure because i usually plug in before i went to bed until tmr.
    i use pb charger to charge any of my bb,it will be hot,very hot...
    10-28-11 04:54 AM
    The PlayBook charger is 2 amps, the regular BlackBerry charger is 0.7 amps.

I’ve used the BB chargers to charge the PB and it works but is slower as you’d expect.
    The difference you see is that with the PB charger connected you see the flash symbol over the battery on screen; with the BB charger connected you see the “connected” symbol on screen. It still charges with either connected.
    10-28-11 05:35 AM
    I use my phone charger to charge my playbook all the time, yes it is slower, but i typically charge it overnight so it is not an issue. I do this for the convenience of having a single charger plugged in on my desk. Comments above regarding the lower current output of the phone charger are correct, this will NOT do any harm to your playbook.
    10-28-11 06:04 AM
    ok, I'll bite one more time on one of these threads.

slow charging batteries is healthier than rapid charging. Its that simple a concept.

So in that case, a phone charger will charge the PB just fine, just like the lower power of a USB port also will. It will take longer, but overall is healthier for the battery.

Heat is the enemy, and higher current, not voltage, causes that heat. Its very simple.

If the heat reaches a certain point, there are measures in place in the device to stop charging. The only way to reach those points is with high current during charging (or inside a hot car), and a smaller charger will not do so.
    Last edited by ericdude; 10-28-11 at 08:43 AM.
    10-28-11 08:34 AM
    Was blackberry playbook stolen? Why didn't it have a charger? Seems weird for someone to sell without the charger.
    10-28-11 08:57 AM
    ok, I'll bite one more time on one of these threads.

slow charging batteries is healthier than rapid charging. Its that simple a concept.
    Heat is the enemy, and higher current, not voltage, causes that heat. Its very simple.

If the heat reaches a certain point, there are measures in place in the device to stop charging. The only way to reach those points is with high current during charging (or inside a hot car), and a smaller charger will not do so.
    While that's more or less correct, I believe it causes FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) in those without a background in the technology.

Yes, high heat will cause problems. But no, using any of these chargers will not lead to high heat to the degree that will cause any significant degradation in the life of your battery in the PlayBook.

The PlayBook protects itself against over-charging, with current-limiting features that will ensure it does not overheat during normal charging. In other words, damage due to excessive current during charging is a theoretical concern, not an actual one in the PlayBook.

If anything, charging while using the tablet is more likely to cause trouble, since heavy use of the tablet will lead to the whole thing, including the batteries, getting warmer. Even then, however, I really don't think any of this is a concern for regular users, as the difference in battery life resulting from the relatively low temperatures involved is unlikely to be noticeable across the life of your tablet.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-28-11 09:52 AM
    There is probably as much BS talked about chargers in these forums as anything else so here goes.

I am a professional engineer. I hold a BSc in Physics with electronics. I have spent my life in electronics, telecommunications and computers. A lifelong hobby has been in audio engineering. Many items I have built myself - including the power supplies from scratch.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing about a phone or tablet charger is good voltage regulation. The charger needs to deliver between 4.75 - 5.5 Volts. Less than 4.75 and charging will be unreliable. Above 5.5 and you start to generate excess heat in the device charging circuit (not the battery, more on this later).

The current delivery is a good indicator of what the charger will and will not charge. A charger that delivers less than 400mA (0.4 Amps) will probably noy charge your device.

A 10 AMP (10,000 mA) is perfectly safe to connect to a phone PROVIDED it has good voltage regulation. A phone or tablet has an internal circuit to limit the amount of current flowing into the device. Thus a device (that is not faulty) will never draw more current than it needs. An advantage of high current chargers is that they generally charge the phone a little faster than the standard 500 - 700mA chargers.

Heat is clearly the enemy of all electronics and batteries in particular. I hate heat in electronics. A well designed device will also contain a thermal cut off that will stop the charging cycle (cut the current flow) should the battery being charged heat beyond a set figure.

What to buy? A 1 Amp (1000mA), 5 Volt regulated charger is a very good bet. This
    will charge your device quickly because it is capable of charging a device to the maximum that the device will draw.
    10-28-11 10:32 AM
    Was blackberry playbook stolen? Why didn't it have a charger? Seems weird for someone to sell without the charger.
    That's a possibility or the person like the rapid charger for their phone and kept it.
    10-28-11 10:33 AM
    I sometimes use my curve 8900 charger for my playbook. I have 2 chargers for my phone, one I keep at work and one at home. I use the work one to charge my playbook when I'm at work with no problems.
    10-28-11 11:27 AM
    For the record, here are some values for what various types of charging will pump into your battery, starting at low battery levels (because at higher levels the charging system will limit the current gradually, resulting in steadily decreasing current as it "tops up" the battery). In each case, the device is in standby; having it turned on will reduce the current available for the battery in all cases except with the rapid charger, which is the only one with more than enough juice to supply a working PlayBook and charge its battery at the same time.

1. charging via USB on your computer: 0.4A
    2. charging via USB with the bundled/default charger: 1.9A
    3. charging with a cradle or magnetic rapid charger: 2.4A
    10-28-11 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD