the wipe features blow away android. now if we just has the same fan base and support, playboobok would blow away all tabs , hands down.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 12:20 AM
    I think if it had the ecosystem, it would blow away everyone. The current fanbase is pretty pumped. All it needs is a real-world reason to by AKA ecosystem IMHO.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 12:30 AM
    I was fooling around with the Galaxy tabs (all sizes) the other day and I found the user experience to be atrocious. Switching between screens was choppy, some apps took eons to open and I found the UI neither here nor there. Gingerbread really is horrible on tablets and after using my PlayBook since May the only other tablet I will consider is an iPad.
    12-30-11 12:32 AM
    I do like Android, but have so far avoided Android tabs. Not a fan.
    12-30-11 12:35 AM
    Agreed, I have an Android phone, and it's amazing, great as a phone OS, but on tablets Android is just not interesting to me. I preferred the Playbook to every Android tablet I tested out.
    bbfan1040 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-30-11 12:41 AM
    I had a chance to try out a Xoom. The back and forward arrows in the browser scrolled up under the url bar and were inaccessible if you had to scroll down in a page. Say what?

How would that work? Scroll to the top everytime you want to go back or forward???
    That and the home button made it very navigationally challenged.
    12-30-11 12:46 AM
    I was fooling around with the Galaxy tabs (all sizes) the other day and I found the user experience to be atrocious. Switching between screens was choppy, some apps took eons to open and I found the UI neither here nor there. Gingerbread really is horrible on tablets and after using my PlayBook since May the only other tablet I will consider is an iPad.
    I actually own two Galaxy tabs myself and you are grossly exaggerating or even borderline bashing the devices unreasonably.

I have a 7" Galaxy tab running on Gingerbread, it runs smooth on an official ROM from Samsung. Yes, with TouchWiz! I used to root it and load custom ROMs on it like Overcome, Cyanogenmod, but it was just the need for my inner geek to tinker with stuff. I'm also currently using a Galaxy Tab 10.1 on Honeycomb and it's my daily go-to for media consumption. Fast, smooth, big gorgeous screen on top of that. Opening apps are in most cases instant, and swiping between screens are the opposite of anything I know to be "choppy". BTW I have 30+ apps on my tablets, with HD widgets and what not. Sometimes I just install apps for the fun of it just because I can, and also because there are lots of quality ones for free. I bought about 30+ apps in the past few months also, most of them for $0.10 during Android Market's celebration of its 10 Billion Downloads, and picked up loads more for $0.99 during the Christmas sales. Didn't buy a single app on App World for my PB or 9780 since most of them are overpriced.

My PlayBook has since been chucked away in my cupboard untouched after the initial 10-15 minutes of fooling around with it. Initially I was really impressed by the UI (considering it came from RIM) and I thought it would be a keeper for good. Yeah bezel swipes are cool and stuff, then what? I'm looking forward to OS 2.0 picking up good reviews so I can sell this for a good chunk of $.
    12-30-11 12:55 AM
    That doesn't make sense.
    And, you obviously never gave Playbook a chance.
    JK-PhD likes this.
    12-30-11 09:20 AM
    Could Samsung avoided the hole legal bit if they put a SD card slot on the Tab?
    At least don't copy the short comings of the ipad.
    Playbook shelve full at the Local Walmart , not selling here at the 198,239, prices.
    I have no problem with HC on my Asus Transformer. Definatley more usefull that the Playbook for me in it's current state. From a tech perspective the PowerVR in the Playbook is supposed to be better than the Nvidia chip. Apple has the PowerVR as well.

ipad 3 in a couple months Geez can't justify another one.
    12-30-11 10:08 AM
    I think much of the android experience depends on the tablet you are using. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad tablet and have used the Lenovo A1 a good bit. The ThinkPad tablet is very fast and the purpose built android os is really nice (3.1 on this one) I think they go for just under 500 US. The sound on it it dreadful, and it's pretty thick. With the optional keyboard, it's about the size of a medium sized laptop.

The A1 i didn't like as much. The user interface just wasn't as intuitive and things just weren't as polished. With that said, for 199, it's a nice tablet.

I still prefure the playbooks UI over all the others I've used.
    12-30-11 10:27 AM
    I had the exact opposite experience: Bought a 16GB Galaxy Tab 10.1 at Costco ($449.00 with instant rebate), and while the hardware was beautiful, I found HC to be clunky. Too many ways to accomplish the same tasks, and managing running apps (and their various CPU-sucking background spawn) was time consuming and quite frustrating.

The browser, too, was clunky, with many sites giving me grief and/or not rendering properly. Ebay, in particular, was difficult to work with, which drove my wife (primary user of the Tab) nuts during the holiday rush. And while I loved the look of the unit, I never found the size to be adequately portable. Too much precarious balancing on the forearm, etc., when moving and using at the same time.

By contrast, I find the Playbook's form factor to be almost ideal: Perfect for use on the move and the browser gives me far fewer problems. Also, the swipe UI is genius - much smoother and more intuitive that the "hunt-and-poke" approach of HC. Haven't tried ICS yet, so I can't comment. But unless it completely reimagines the Android UI model, I don't see how it will address what for me are fundamental flaws in the underlying OS design.

In the end, the Tab went back to Costco and I'm now contemplating picking up a second Playbook for the wife.

Call me a happy PB owner - running the OS2 (OS/2? Now that takes me back!) dev preview and looking forward to the RTM version.

RCK
    12-30-11 10:39 AM
    It's very difficult to enjoy an Ipad or Android tab when you get comfortable with the bezel gestures and multi-tasking on the PB. The UI is light years ahead of anything else on the market.

Once the PB narrows the app gap with the android player and the QNX NDK, I think it will be very hard to bash this beautiful piece of machinery.
    12-30-11 11:03 AM
    I actually own two Galaxy tabs myself and you are grossly exaggerating or even borderline bashing the devices unreasonably.

My PlayBook has since been chucked away in my cupboard untouched after the initial 10-15 minutes of fooling around with it. Initially I was really impressed by the UI (considering it came from RIM) and I thought it would be a keeper for good. Yeah bezel swipes are cool and stuff, then what? I'm looking forward to OS 2.0 picking up good reviews so I can sell this for a good chunk of $.
    You really only gave the PB 10-15 minutes? That sounds unreasonable to me.
    JK-PhD likes this.
    12-30-11 11:15 AM
    It's very difficult to enjoy an Ipad or Android tab when you get comfortable with the bezel gestures and multi-tasking on the PB. The UI is light years ahead of anything else on the market.

Once the PB narrows the app gap with the android player and the QNX NDK, I think it will be very hard to bash this beautiful piece of machinery.
    The problem is that UI alone cannot build mindshare. That UI (and it is beautiful) does little without the added functionality of a vibrant ecosystem.
    12-30-11 11:36 AM
    The problem is that UI alone cannot build mindshare. That UI (and it is beautiful) does little without the added functionality of a vibrant ecosystem.
    Rome wasn't built or burned in a day.
    12-30-11 11:44 AM

I have a 7" Galaxy tab running on Gingerbread, it runs smooth on an official ROM from Samsung. Yes, with TouchWiz! I used to root it and load custom ROMs on it like Overcome, Cyanogenmod, but it was just the need for my inner geek to tinker with stuff. I'm also currently using a Galaxy Tab 10.1 on Honeycomb and it's my daily go-to for media consumption. Fast, smooth, big gorgeous screen on top of that. Opening apps are in most cases instant, and swiping between screens are the opposite of anything I know to be "choppy". BTW I have 30+ apps on my tablets, with HD widgets and what not. Sometimes I just install apps for the fun of it just because I can, and also because there are lots of quality ones for free. I bought about 30+ apps in the past few months also, most of them for $0.10 during Android Market's celebration of its 10 Billion Downloads, and picked up loads more for $0.99 during the Christmas sales. Didn't buy a single app on App World for my PB or 9780 since most of them are overpriced.
    I was only speaking from my experience with them in a dedicated Samsung store... I should have recorded it for you to see. The lag was bordering on ridiculous.
    And then you have the audacity to call me a basher after this little speech. #SMH
    12-30-11 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD