CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default USB port broken - will it matter?

Hi I have a Playbook with a broken USB port but otherwise fine - will this matter - I am new to BB PB but as long as I can connect via WiFi will I have a problem when BB10 arrives I assume I can load that via WiFi? and what else will matter?
    I can charge via the magnetic port
    Please help and advise
    Warranty ids expired
    Kind regards
    John
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Hi John,
    I'm not aware of any real problems with a missing USB port. I only use mine for charging (note to self - get round to buying a Rapid-Charger!)
    All file transfers and system updates I always do over WiFi.
    The only gotcha I can think of is if your OS ever gets corrupted. In that scenario, I think you can sometimes have to connect to a PC via USB to restore functionality, but hopefully, that will never happen...

EDIT: As an additional thought, there is no harm in contacting Blackberry, and finding out your options. They are quite good at replacing units, even those that are out of warranty. There is a possibility that the 90 days of free support was never activated, so all you have to lose is the cost of a phone call (or even just an email - that'll cost nothing)
    CrackBerry Genius

Excellent answer above. I would only add that the warranty is one year and don't bother with the email. A phone call will yield much better results.

The only real problem would be if you have to reload the OS completely. That appears to require a connection via usb to the Desktop Software.

Most reports are that damaged (bent or loosened connector inside the port) are NOT covered by warranty although just the other day someone said that theirs was repaired under warranty.

You can peer inside and if the connector is bent/slanted and NOT level, it can be gently moved back into a level position.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thankyou all for the excellent responses - great advice
    The original unit was replaced under warranty as the OS corrupted and couldnt be fixed so they sent this one and it was no good in terms of the USB out of the box however they wouldnt believe that and wanted a load of cash to fix the USB so I decided to cut my losses and use it the way it is which is fine -
    My main issue will be when BB10 comes out for the playbook as I will want that and just needed to make sure it would upload and install via Wifi.
    Despite all the above I love the device and may well eventually aquire a 64Gb one
    Thanks again
    John