Hey guys,

So of course USB OTG died off when rooting died off.
    But now it's back!

Driver for OMAP4430 USB OTG Controller (Host Only)
    Syntax: io-usb -d omap4430-mg [option [,option ...]]
    Date: 2012/03/29

There's a brand new USB OTG driver included in Playbook. This one actually works unlike the glitchy thing we were using before (when rooted).

TL;DR: USB mice, keyboards, vacuum cleaners, microwaves should now be possible when RIM enables.
    Last edited by xsacha; 04-17-12 at 11:35 AM.
    04-17-12 10:00 AM
    Sacha

So no rooting needed for USB OTG?
    04-17-12 10:01 AM
    What does this mean for the average, non-rooted, non-developer user? Does it work or is this just a sign that it will work eventually?
    04-17-12 10:02 AM
    what does this mean to people like me who havent a clue what you are talking about???
    04-17-12 10:14 AM
    what does this mean to people like me who havent a clue what you are talking about???
    Just what I was about to post.....
    wuulfy likes this.
    04-17-12 10:17 AM
    it means you can plug in a hard drive/flash drive to your playbook??
    04-17-12 10:18 AM
    Just what I was about to post.....
    nice to know im not the only one wandering around bumping into things lol
    bbmtna likes this.
    04-17-12 10:18 AM
    it means you can plug in a hard drive/flash drive to your playbook??
    does it?? now you see thats interesting, thank you.
    04-17-12 10:19 AM
    Could this also be a sign that USB Host mode will be coming to the Playbook soon?
    04-17-12 10:21 AM
    does it?? now you see thats interesting, thank you.
    Yes USB OTG means you could use an adapter and a thumb drive with the playbook and access the files on the thumb drive.
    04-17-12 10:21 AM
    Yes USB OTG means you could use an adapter and a thumb drive with the playbook and access the files on the thumb drive.
    is that without rooting or sideloading or anything else?
    Please bear with me if these seem like silly questions.
    taylor96 likes this.
    04-17-12 10:24 AM
    So I can buy one of these and plug in a thumb drive? What about a USB hard drive?
    04-17-12 10:26 AM
    is that without rooting or sideloading or anything else?
    Please bear with me if these seem like silly questions.
    No sideloading

Before you were required to root the playbook to access that feature before.

I don't know if it available now without rooting as you can see by my first post to sacha. Right now I can't test it so you'll have to wait in see sacha or somebody else responds it is available or the capabilities are there for a future update.
    04-17-12 10:27 AM
    No sideloading

Before you were required to root the playbook to access that feature before.

I don't know if it available now without rooting as you can see by my first post to sacha. Right now I can't test it so you'll have to wait in see sacha or somebody else responds it is available or the capabilities are there for a future update.
    sounds cool...cant believe im at work and cannot update my PB, also if i get caught on here by my boss i will be up a famously smelly waterway without the requisite propelling tool
    Knightcrawler and ambarmetta like this.
    04-17-12 10:31 AM
    I don't know what a thumb drive is, either....

Ability to use USB would be great.
    04-17-12 10:36 AM
    I don't know what a thumb drive is, either....

Ability to use USB would be great.
    Flash stick

Attachment 107987
    04-17-12 10:38 AM
    yes,yes,yes,yes ,mwhahahahahaaaaaa, thank you XSACHA soo much for the excellent news, I've been waiting like... wow..., laptop now gonna become a desktop now ,as my Workbook will fill the whole role of a "mobile computing platform" as RIM likes to put it !!!...... whats that song.... I',m so excited,That I just cant hide it......
    04-17-12 10:38 AM
    Thumb drive is a USB flash memory drive.
    04-17-12 10:39 AM
    foreverup, i dont know what boobs are
    ILFees, rmartyr, TTBGF and 2 others like this.
    04-17-12 10:41 AM
    yes,yes,yes,yes ,mwhahahahahaaaaaa, thank you XSACHA soo much for the excellent news, I've been waiting like... wow..., laptop now gonna become a desktop now ,as my Workbook will fill the whole role of a "mobile computing platform" as RIM likes to put it !!!...... whats that song.... I',m so excited,That I just cant hide it......
    Danklaud do you still need to rooted or does it work now for everyone?
    04-17-12 10:44 AM
    no one has actually tested this yet, someone please test and report back
    04-17-12 10:47 AM
    Okay, so most people in here have been trying to figure out what OTG means, but can anyone confirm that they have used an adapter to plug in a USB drive? A confirmation on this would be great - even though it's doubtful.

I thought RIM decided against MicroSD slots and enabling USB Host due to security, but I may be wrong...
    foreverup, i dont know what boobs are
    I do

Attachment 107988
    joski, wuulfy, taylor96 and 9 others like this.
    omg, otg for usb, ty rim..ttfn
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-17-12 10:49 AM
    Okay, so most people in here have been trying to figure out what OTG means, but can anyone confirm that they have used an adapter to plug in a USB drive? A confirmation on this would be great - even though it's doubtful.

I thought RIM decided against MicroSD slots and enabling USB Host due to security, but I may be wrong...
    You would need an adapter because the playbook uses a micro/macro (can never remember which one to use) usb port, the same as your phone
    04-17-12 10:49 AM
133 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD