I just bought a new USB 2.0 4-port hub to replace my old/slow USB 1.1 4-port hub...

"Plugable USB 2.0 4 Port Hub and BC 1.1 Fast Charger with 2.5 Amp Power Adapter"
    Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 4 Port Hub and BC 1.1 Fast Charger with 2.5 Amp Power Adapter: Computers & Accessories

It has BC 1.1 (battery charging) capability, and can charge hardware that is compatible. It is difficult, it not impossible, to find a list of compatible hardware, but apparently the Playbook is.

Plugable| Plugable USB2-HUB4BC 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub with BC 1.1 Fast Charging
    "Charges BC 1.1 compliant devices at up to 3x normal rate (1.5A) on any one port"

I have only used it once so far, but the battery went from 58% to 100% in less than 37 minutes (I wasn't watching closely enough, and just looked up and it was done!)

I have had the Playbook (64GB) about a month. I also have a 10" android tablet (Motorolla Xoom), but really like the 7" form factor.

Additional accessories that I am very happy with include:

Samsonite Classic Netbook Shuttle - holds every thing quite handily; playbook, charger, earphones, etc.!
    Amazon.com: Samsonite Classic Netbook Shuttle (Black): Electronics

Trexta Marquis Case - very nice/functional leather case
    Trexta Marquis for Blackberry Playbook Brown | eBay

The forums here have been very helpful to me and I hope someone finds the information above helpful
    10-27-12 09:09 AM
    Charging that much in that little time would require a charging rate of more than 12.25W, which isn't likely possible. Was it super hot after that?

I don't know what happened to get you those results, but I'm afraid nobody should take them as indicative of what that charger can actually do.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    10-27-12 09:33 AM
    I'm not too sure how accurate my battery indicator is....it did go to 100% fast...and has taken a longer time than usual to drop below 100% after that charge. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the latest update?

Hub nor Playbook felt 'hot' during charging.
    10-27-12 09:57 AM
    As far as I see on the spec sheets, this 'Pluggable' adapter is a 1.5 Amps charger, half the PB fast charger. Its charge time should be something like twice longer than with the fast charger -and not longer than with the normal one. Visibly, Pluggable also proposes 3-Amps chargers, which should get as fast as the PB original fast charger.
    10-27-12 11:11 AM