Hi, there has been rumour of usb hosting from the new RIM OS for sometime but does anyone know if this is definitely coming ? It will transform the PB
    Herve5 likes this.
    09-14-12 04:37 AM
    Welcome to the forum.
    Well from what I read, the required driver is already in.. But RIM has not activated it yet..
    And I don't think RIM has ever officially announced any plans. So I guess nobody knows when if ever it will be made available..
    09-14-12 05:32 AM
    X2 I am hoping this holds true it will help to unlock the full potential of the PB.
    Welcome to the nation its warm and cozy inside.
    Last edited by esk369; 09-14-12 at 06:59 AM.
    09-14-12 06:54 AM
    We're still totally expecting lots of USB stuff in BB10. "Nobody knows when it will be available" is largely true, but all signs have pointed to this being an important part of BB10 and I haven't seen any reason to stop believing that yet.

Note that "USB hosting" is a pretty broad thing to discuss though. If you mean support for external storage devices, for example, that's much more likely to be in than support for some obscure device which requires a special driver and dedicated apps to make use of it.

Did you have a specific use case or was this just a general question about whether any use at all will be made of host mode (USB OTG)?

By the way, there's THE major BB10 developer conference coming up in under two weeks, in San Jose. Expect to learn more from what we hear there. BlackBerry Jam Americas: September 25-27 in San Jose, California
    Herve5 likes this.
    09-14-12 07:57 AM
    Yep I meant support for external storage devices and usb otg functionality. Thanks for all the replies.
    09-14-12 09:59 AM
    External storage or mass storage mode is one of the things I've been looking forward to for a long time now.
    09-14-12 10:11 AM
    I think its going to be possible with an actual OS update as I believe this was something done with the dingleberry rooting (usb storage device support)
    09-15-12 04:12 AM
    I think its going to be possible with an actual OS update as I believe this was something done with the dingleberry rooting (usb storage device support)
    If you mean you believe the hardware support is already in the PlayBook, then yes, that's certainly true. (We had actually figured that out within a few days or weeks of the original launch actually, for what that's worth.)

It's always just been a matter of time before the OS added the required support. What was found with Dingleberry was just an early, incomplete form of that support, but even RIM told us back at Dev Con almost a year ago that they were working on the USB host mode stuff...
    09-15-12 09:38 AM
    I would like to be able to use a USB Card reader with a program such as RawVision. I was out with some fellow photographers yesterday and being able to pop a memory card in and view your pictures on the PB would be a great feature.

Link to RawVision if you are interested I have not tried it but it looks interesting https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...97953/?lang=EN
    09-30-12 12:51 PM
    I tried USB OTG Cable on PB with no luck when OS 2.0 came out.
    Tried connect it to flash drive, mouse, and keyboard.
    The thing is, there is no power coming from the microUSB port on PB to power up the Mouse, so yes, it's been disabled.
    Different with Nexus 7, it's able to give power and detected the keyboard and mouse just fine (I use with USB Hub).
    For reading mass storage on Nexus 7, it's been disabled by the OS but can be enabled by using app + root.

Hope they will give the support on the coming OS2.1.
    09-30-12 01:23 PM
    Yup, many of us would like to see this implemented finally. But so far, alas, it has not even been shown in any venues.
    09-30-12 01:26 PM
    I tried USB OTG Cable on PB with no luck when OS 2.0 came out.
    Tried connect it to flash drive, mouse, and keyboard.
    The thing is, there is no power coming from the microUSB port on PB to power up the Mouse, so yes, it's been disabled.
    Different with Nexus 7, it's able to give power and detected the keyboard and mouse just fine (I use with USB Hub).
    For reading mass storage on Nexus 7, it's been disabled by the OS but can be enabled by using app + root.

Hope they will give the support on the coming OS2.1.
    if powersntheonly issue, ha...then my hubby can work around that...he builds harddrives from scratch...lol my music production hd is 120gigs running on a frankenstiened old toshiba laptop hd..
    and has been for 8 years...

cool... can't wait to find a solution...

logicly it should be made available for storeage...as us wifi people don't get card slots
    10-19-12 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD