My father taught me one very strong lesson in life "Never count on anything that isn't in your back pocket"

I have had my first playbook for over a year. Got it in the employee sale a year ago December. I knew what it did and didn't do and had no expectations of change. I bought it "as is" and if it got upgraded, fantastic, if not, I was still happy with my purchase. Bought a second one last summer.

I don't understand why people spend that kind of money (playbook launch price) if the product doesn't do most of what they require of it. That has always confused me. I know lots of people get caught up in hype, wanting to be the first person in their peer group to have the new whatever. Hey, Apple is champion for creating that kind of hype.

If certain apps or productivity are mandatory for your use of the tablet, why would you spend that kind of money on spec, when there were probably a lot of tablets that already did what you required? Why would anyone invest that kind of money on promises when there were already products that did what they required?

I love my 2 playbooks and my 9360 Curve. If someone took my bridge away, I would have a hissy fit. When the playbook is upgraded to BB10, how will that affect my bridge with my os7 phone? I may not upgrade one of my playbooks if it makes them incompatible. Bridge is the main feature I like best.

Never count on anything that isn't in your back pocket!
    02-10-13 10:14 AM
    Why why why Daahaaling lol
    Hi. I will like to start off by saying I'm the biggest blackberry fan ever.
    CrackBerry Newbie
    Posts6 Posts <<<<
    02-10-13 10:22 AM
    Now that RIM is Blackberry, I thought there might be a culture shift but I don't think anything is happening to make Blackberry a better company
    Thorsten Heins gutted the entire executive management team ...
    02-10-13 10:54 AM
    We do not know that any Playbook is still being manufactured . There is no evidence that it is. If you have evidence , please post.
    They released the new PlayBook in August in Canada and November in the UK.

RIM's faster, app-ier new PlayBook tablet comes at a price - Technology & Science - CBC News
    BlackBerry PlayBook 3G+ 32GB Now Available in the UK - BerryReview
    02-10-13 10:57 AM
    My professor said, always look for opportunities... never be satisfied... because, according to him, once you're satisfied, you are no longer seeking for improvement... and then you die...

I want my PB to improve... because I don't want to die...

Is that hard to understand?...
    02-10-13 10:59 AM
    I always thought BBM would make it to the playbook.... still waiting.
    02-10-13 11:19 AM
    95% of people's issues can be solved by doing simple research either on forums or google.

The time it took to write this post you could of already had your answers
    02-10-13 11:24 AM
    Yes but Bell and I think Telus have marked that PB as end of life. Perhaps they are still selling some in the UK. If BB said they were still manufacturing the PB I would believe you. I guess it depends on whether they can sell the PB at a profit and I don't think they can.
    02-10-13 11:29 AM
    If BB said they were still manufacturing the PB I would believe you.
    And if BB said they had discontinued all production of PlayBook, I would believe you. The point is, nothing has been said so we're all just speculating.

My speculation (which could be completely wrong) is that they're massively scaling back their PlayBook efforts now that the inventory glut in the channel and in the factory is probably cleared through. They probably are keeping it going as a small business, focusing on the LTE model for corporations that want it, through non-retail (ie. not expensive) channels or direct and are avoiding major production runs. They might also be planning a relaunch when BlackBerry 10 comes out, either of a new tablet, or the LTE tablet. And they'll probably say in the earnings call that they're "sold out of the wifi units altogether" and "focusing on direct and carrier sales of the OTA one" for now, until they figure out their business model
    02-10-13 11:47 AM
    I'm not riding the hope of BB10 on PlayBook. Like Kevin had said earlier, let's just see some nice improvements to the existing OS. I believe BlackBerry World will get a switch over. So some better games and apps, but let's get something that will work good for the 1GB RAM that PB has. A PB varient of BB10.
    02-10-13 12:42 PM
    I'm not worried... Bought mine on that $199 sale (16gb) and a 32gb for $118.... I can't complain for what I got for the price especially as I saw and experienced the OS 2.x updates. The PB has done all I wanted it too... Very productive I have to say. Just lacked apps that people 'seem to need' really but again they'll come. It can only get better people
    02-10-13 12:55 PM
    Why why why Daahaaling lol
    Hi. I will like to start off by saying I'm the biggest blackberry fan ever.
    CrackBerry Newbie
    Posts6 Posts <<<<
    Your right maybe I can be as cool as you one day and have 85 post(including useless post like this one) and take a lame pic in front of a pond with my winter jacket on..yea that will show how cool I am lol You are confusing "blackberry fan" with crackberry user. But whatever gets your post numbers up so you can be the greatest Crackberry veteran around hahaah
    02-10-13 12:59 PM
    95% of people's issues can be solved by doing simple research either on forums or google.

The time it took to write this post you could of already had your answers
    Ok. So please from your research please inform me when bb10 or any upgrades are coming to the playbook....and terms like "wait" or "later this year" means you don't know
    02-10-13 01:06 PM
    terms like "wait" or "later this year" means you don't know
    You forgot every 1 favorite "Right around the corner"
    02-10-13 01:09 PM
    I've never used any smartphone except Blackberry, and I really like using my Playbook in conjunction with my Bold 9900. Right now I'm waiting for the Q10 to come out...my current contract will allow me significant upgrade credits in August. However...

By then I hope to know exactly what's going on with the BB Bridge and Playbook. I am hopeful that there will be a Bridge upgrade that makes the BB10 phones [more] fully compatible with the Playbook. I'll also hope for a BB10 upgrade for my present PB, even though its 1gig cpu doesn't promise the greatest performance, although I'm willing to believe that an OS version optimized for PB may offer acceptable performance at least. If a new Playbook is released with a faster CPU [let's say a 2 or 4Gig unit] that will take full advantage of the BB10 OS, there is an excellent chance I'll buy it...I lug my Playbook with me nearly all the time and find it really useful, moreso than I would a laptop.

If Blackberry fails to do these things, then I guess I'll go shopping for a new smartphone/tablet system. I don't feel 'screwed'...I got a lot of value out on my various BB units, but RIM/Blackberry has done little to ensure my loyalty or confidence that they will continue to support _me_ with the products I want. Time will tell, I guess.
    idon12no likes this.
    02-10-13 01:35 PM
    I quit thinking about it. Upgraded from bb9930 to Samsung Galaxy Note 2. This phone replaces both 9930 and my playbook. Anybody want to buy a Verizon bb9930 and 64g Playbook message me. Adios Blackberry!
    02-10-13 01:48 PM
    Ok. So please from your research please inform me when bb10 or any upgrades are coming to the playbook....and terms like "wait" or "later this year" means you don't know
    Had you done your research before purchasing your PB, then you would have known that that answer was the best that you were going to get, and if that wasn't a good enough answer, then you shouldn't have purchased a PB. Buy based on what something can do now, not what it MIGHT be able to do sometime in the future.
    02-10-13 01:53 PM
    I have a playbook, enjoy it, I was wondering with all these updates and changes, will I be finally able to access the Google App Market or will the Playbook remain the lame duck of the tablets???????
    02-10-13 02:03 PM
    My father taught me one very strong lesson in life "Never count on anything that isn't in your back pocket"

I have had my first playbook for over a year. Got it in the employee sale a year ago December. I knew what it did and didn't do and had no expectations of change. I bought it "as is" and if it got upgraded, fantastic, if not, I was still happy with my purchase. Bought a second one last summer.

I don't understand why people spend that kind of money (playbook launch price) if the product doesn't do most of what they require of it. That has always confused me. I know lots of people get caught up in hype, wanting to be the first person in their peer group to have the new whatever. Hey, Apple is champion for creating that kind of hype.

If certain apps or productivity are mandatory for your use of the tablet, why would you spend that kind of money on spec, when there were probably a lot of tablets that already did what you required? Why would anyone invest that kind of money on promises when there were already products that did what they required?

I love my 2 playbooks and my 9360 Curve. If someone took my bridge away, I would have a hissy fit. When the playbook is upgraded to BB10, how will that affect my bridge with my os7 phone? I may not upgrade one of my playbooks if it makes them incompatible. Bridge is the main feature I like best.

Never count on anything that isn't in your back pocket!
    But I carry my PB in my front pocket and count on it daily...
    crackberryjill likes this.
    02-10-13 02:04 PM
    I have a playbook, enjoy it, I was wondering with all these updates and changes, will I be finally able to access the Google App Market or will the Playbook remain the lame duck of the tablets???????
    no you will not get google play store access
    02-10-13 02:20 PM
    fully compatible with the Playbook. I'll also hope for a BB10 upgrade for my present PB, even though its 1gig cpu doesn't promise the greatest performance, although I'm willing to believe that an OS version optimized for PB may offer acceptable performance at least. If a new Playbook is released with a faster CPU [let's say a 2 or 4Gig unit] that will take full advantage of the BB10 OS, there is an excellent chance I'll buy it...I lug my Playbook with me nearly all the time and find it really useful, moreso than I would a laptop.

If Blackberry fails to do these things, then I guess I'll go shopping for a new smartphone/tablet system. I don't feel 'screwed'...I got a lot of value out on my various BB units, but RIM/Blackberry has done little to ensure my loyalty or confidence that they will continue to support _me_ with the products I want. Time will tell, I guess.
    Are there any other phone/tablet combos that bridge like BB phone/playbook? Can you go online through your iPad with your iPhone without the carrier knowing it isn't the phone? Can you text on the iPad through the iPhone. Just curious.
    02-10-13 02:21 PM
    I'm thinking there should be an FAQ at the top of the forums that says,

"The latest information on PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 ". And it should be red and it should blink in the most gawdy but eye catching way ...
    And it would still be ignored by trolls (especially now that BB10 is actually here) rolling into the forums to sow FUD; watch especially for "concern trolls" who express support for BlackBerry in the opening lines, then go on to make what would be a standard troll post without the opening line disclaimer. BTW, Thorsten Heins has explicitly said that BB10 will be brought to all existing PlayBooks when it is ready sometime later this year. So why does this thread even exist?

Note to anticipated future trolls: Stay under the bridge, will ya? Or we'll send the Billy Goats Gruff after ya.
    02-10-13 04:53 PM
    Had you done your research before purchasing your PB, then you would have known that that answer was the best that you were going to get, and if that wasn't a good enough answer, then you shouldn't have purchased a PB. Buy based on what something can do now, not what it MIGHT be able to do sometime in the future.
    Once again what "research" are you referring too? I purchased my playbook April 2011. If your research said that my playbook would brick on me in first 6 months, wifi issues(that people still talk about online and on forums still to this day. Which BB has never addressed), updates that came and sometimes left more problems than fixed ex: battery issues after first update.etc Now blackberry is at the point of just not talking about the playbook at all lol. Just "wait its coming" So if that was in the "research" then shame on me. I missed it. If not, stop making excuses for blackberry that dropped the ball. As far as buying things based on what they can do now......If you were aware that Blackberry would not be able to get the pretty basic major apps that all other tablets had/have your just smarter than me. The irony? The marketing for playbook was "AMATEUR HOUR IS OVER"
    02-10-13 05:30 PM
    And it would still be ignored by trolls (especially now that BB10 is actually here) rolling into the forums to sow FUD; watch especially for "concern trolls" who express support for BlackBerry in the opening lines, then go on to make what would be a standard troll post without the opening line disclaimer. BTW, Thorsten Heins has explicitly said that BB10 will be brought to all existing PlayBooks when it is ready sometime later this year. So why does this thread even exist?

Note to anticipated future trolls: Stay under the bridge, will ya? Or we'll send the Billy Goats Gruff after ya.
    Yea all of us that have questions about playbook are trolls. All of the playbook forums are problems and issues that are all made up. We are just not as smart as you to know what "Later on this year means". Blackberry is always on time. Even BB10 came out last year like they said. For some reason I still have my bold 9900. But all of us blackberry owners that don't know what "sometime later this year" means apologize. You are just too smart for us.
    02-10-13 05:37 PM
    Thanks for this. This is exactly the kind of confirmation I was looking for.

I still don't think I need the whole BB10 experience, but would still love the browser update and bridge. I can wait for it though.
    02-10-13 06:16 PM
175 12345 ...