Hi everyone, I very stupidly purchased a Playbook from Amazon withour realising it was an American one. I am trying to go through the set up and cannot get the Playbook to recognise our internet connection. Also it does not give any other option but Canada or America for the language.

Can someone help me please!
    10-13-11 04:46 PM
    Hi everyone, I very stupidly purchased a Playbook from Amazon withour realising it was an American one. I am trying to go through the set up and cannot get the Playbook to recognise our internet connection. Also it does not give any other option but Canada or America for the language.

Can someone help me please!
    As did I, which took me a bit by surprise since I would usually avoid such a purchase for a number of reasons.

I also had the same problem when I first setup my PlayBook regarding languages. Once I had installed the latest OS update and completed a security wipe, more language options were present when it reloaded the OS.

What can you tell us about your network?

Regards,

jmc
    10-13-11 06:35 PM
    Hi,

I am a Canadian, living in the US currently and have been wanting to buy a PB, but been holding off until I know more about a job transfer. So I recently found out that I will be moving to Norway.

This thread seems to be in line with at least part of my questions.

So I have a few of questions as I am new to the PB in many ways.

- Is it worth me buying the PB here in the US and taking with me to Norway? I mean the cost here in the US ($499 US) will be cheaper overall compared to me buying in UK ($499 GPB) or waiting even longer for a Norway release. Will the warranty be ok if I take to Norway?

- Currently the Wifi version is out, but I have heard SEVERAL different versions are due out over time. Something like Wifi + WiMax?!?!?!, Wifi + LTE?!?!?!, and then Wifi + HSPA??!?!?!

So the 2nd question is... WHAT in the WORLD does any of that trash mean at the end? I mean seriously I am a computer techie but I have no clue what any of that means. To me it is useless clutter some bad marketing manager thought up. How in the world is the common tablet user suppose to know what any of those mean and which one would be best.

- Next question is, if I buy one now in the US, can I pair it to a Norwegian BB phone? If I wait and buy a 4G version later here in us, can I use it with any carrier in Norway ? (if they ever pick it up that is, which I am sure will happen, but will take some time).

The only 3 places I would use it would be 1) at home where I probably will have wireless internet if all goes well, 2) Maybe at work or at a client office (my work has encrypted wireless where only our laptops can connect through the company security so I doubt I would be able to connect wireless), and 3 traveling (airports and planes) and maybe an occasional restaurant).

So which version would be best for me?

Thanks

Chris
    Don't see why pairing with a Norwegian BB should be an issue. I have a PB that I bought in Miami, paired to an 8900 BB originally from T-Mobile but unlocked and using a SIM from LIME Barbados. I have zero problems. I did do the initial setup and OS update while in Miami (just in case it didn't work, so I could return it). My wife has a Miami sourced PB paired with a Barbados-sourced BB Bold 2, locked to LIME. Also no issues, also first set up in Miami.
    10-13-11 06:54 PM
    Well that is something I was not able to do.

You paired you PB and phone while you were in the US on the US carrier plan.

I had the PB long before the phone. I received the phone here in Norway and my company gave me a SIM card so I can use the phone but BES or BIS or whatever is not activated as this carrier does not have BES. We are suppose to switch to another carrier and they will have the option of having BES.

So until that time I cant get the bridge software downloaded to the 9810.
    10-14-11 02:52 AM
    I bought my Playbook on Ebay from a US store and I've had no adaptatio issues whatsoever. Except I bought a charging desktop cradle here in the Netherlands.

Also, you might wanna check Amazon UK, they're offering many Playbook accessoires at discount prices and the Playbook itself is a mere 240 pounds there.
    10-14-11 03:31 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD