Hello,

I recently bought a US PlayBook in the UK, now while everything is working great, I'm still weary of any problems I'm going to have in the future, if any?

The only problem I have come across is my region selection when setting up the device and installing the desktop software.

It pairs well with my 9700 for tethering and bridge though so will I be ok in the future?

Also will it be possible for me to buy the OEM UK charger eventually for this PlayBook so I don't have to carry around a converter which is frustrating as well.

Cheers
    05-25-11 04:52 AM
    I don't have a crystal ball to tell the future. I am sure you will be fine with the amazing CB team to back you up Right team?
    05-25-11 05:16 AM
    Yes you will be fine fella...and yes you can buy an OEM charger if you want to..
    05-25-11 06:10 AM
    I am in the same boat (US PB in UK). The only concern I have is warranty. Still not exactly sure whether BB UK will be remotely interested in supporting our tablets once it's launched here.

Here's to hoping!
    05-25-11 04:57 PM
    I am in the same boat (US PB in UK). The only concern I have is warranty. Still not exactly sure whether BB UK will be remotely interested in supporting our tablets once it's launched here.

Here's to hoping!
    I've got a US PlayBook too, nice to be ahead of the curve isn't it? Everyone I've showed it to has said 'what the **** is that thing...' and about 10 seconds into the demo video they want one.

Anyway, re: charger, yep doubt there will be any issue with the UK charger, since the PB is essentially the same bit of kit.

Re: warranty, a tip I have regarding consumer electronics is when you realise your device is crapping out on you, buy something cheap from John Lewis. Keep the tag on it. Lose the receipt.

Then, take your defective device back to JL (assuming they sell it) along with the bag, the other item with tag on it still unused, and a 'I lost the receipt but paid cash' story and you should be set.

But really this thing's a slab, I can't see any warranty issues in the next 11 months.
    05-25-11 05:55 PM
    just wanted to add on this, cpw have their accessories as due 31st may and device due 15th june, so in a week hopefully they`ll have accessories ready to sell, i want the dektop charge thing, but not gonna pre-order, gonna wait and see if 31st may pans out first.
    05-25-11 06:00 PM
    There was a post somewhere saying that the RIM UK systems can not currently support warranty claims for the PB here but once its on sale in the UK so you will be fine.

I got a Canadian one but as I am over there frequently the warranty is not so much of an issue for me.
    05-25-11 06:06 PM
    Hello,

I recently bought a US PlayBook in the UK, now while everything is working great, I'm still weary of any problems I'm going to have in the future, if any?

The only problem I have come across is my region selection when setting up the device and installing the desktop software.

It pairs well with my 9700 for tethering and bridge though so will I be ok in the future?

Also will it be possible for me to buy the OEM UK charger eventually for this PlayBook so I don't have to carry around a converter which is frustrating as well.

Cheers

Blackberry has a portable international charger unit available. The larger charger is faster and is heavier duty. I would strongly advise to get a charger that is rated for the electrical at your location.

Stay away from OEM or clone chargers. They can give a lot of problems. We tested a number of different ones with Playbooks. None that we tested were acceptable.

This was not a cost issue, but an issue for the lead time to obtain the original chargers. I wanted to leave chargers at various locations rather than have to carry them with us. I travel between 4 locations regularly. I also carry a pocket charger in case I need it while out from my locations.

We ended up getting some from our local telephone company after waiting a few weeks.

I took the trouble to call an OEM manufacture where their charger did not work with the Playbook. They admitted they were aware of the problem. The dealer was selling this charger as a Playbook and Blackberry phone charger just because the connector looked the same, and the voltage rating on the label was correct.

Chargers and devices are more complex than most people understand. These are not simple devices.

Jerry G.
    05-25-11 09:26 PM
    Hi,

I am a Canadian, living in the US currently and have been wanting to buy a PB, but been holding off until I know more about a job transfer. So I recently found out that I will be moving to Norway.

This thread seems to be in line with at least part of my questions.

So I have a few of questions as I am new to the PB in many ways.

- Is it worth me buying the PB here in the US and taking with me to Norway? I mean the cost here in the US ($499 US) will be cheaper overall compared to me buying in UK ($499 GPB) or waiting even longer for a Norway release. Will the warranty be ok if I take to Norway?

- Currently the Wifi version is out, but I have heard SEVERAL different versions are due out over time. Something like Wifi + WiMax?!?!?!, Wifi + LTE?!?!?!, and then Wifi + HSPA??!?!?!

So the 2nd question is... WHAT in the WORLD does any of that trash mean at the end? I mean seriously I am a computer techie but I have no clue what any of that means. To me it is useless clutter some bad marketing manager thought up. How in the world is the common tablet user suppose to know what any of those mean and which one would be best.

- Next question is, if I buy one now in the US, can I pair it to a Norwegian BB phone? If I wait and buy a 4G version later here in us, can I use it with any carrier in Norway ? (if they ever pick it up that is, which I am sure will happen, but will take some time).

The only 3 places I would use it would be 1) at home where I probably will have wireless internet if all goes well, 2) Maybe at work or at a client office (my work has encrypted wireless where only our laptops can connect through the company security so I doubt I would be able to connect wireless), and 3 traveling (airports and planes) and maybe an occasional restaurant).

So which version would be best for me?

Thanks

Chris
    05-25-11 10:56 PM
    Just a note. I live in the UK. I bought a PB at Newark airport. I don't use the US charger on the UK; wrong voltage. USB wire doesn't seem to charge for me either from the PC or any mains adaptor. I am advised on the forums that some USB cables are different and will charge. I use my UK BB phone charger for the PB with no issues. Once the PB is launched in the UK then I will upgrade my PB charger and the warranty will be underwritten. I understood the challenges that may occur with lack of support because the PB wasn't launched in the UK because I'm intelligent and I didn't care because in any event the purchase was a tiny amount of money.

My PB works perfectly (faultless) and I am delighted.
    05-25-11 11:50 PM
    Just a note. I live in the UK. I bought a PB at Newark airport. I don't use the US charger on the UK; wrong voltage.
    Hum that's strange. The charger that came with my PB has a voltage input rating of 110-250v and 50-60Hz which covers the UK so I just use a shaver adaptor to physically plug it in.
    05-26-11 12:11 AM
    Yep using the US charger in Holland with a converter without issues...
    Playbook is working fine also, no problems here.
    05-26-11 12:57 AM
    similar story here, us playbook in hong kong, I am still looking for a cable that works with the usb adapter, any suggestions out there?
    05-26-11 02:39 AM
    Tharrison4815 is just having fantasies about owning one, he probably saw one on youtube and that's it. I use a converter too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 03:36 AM
    I purchased one of the CHARGE-ONLY (no data) from the AT&T mobile Store.

Bar Code #:38516 34327 3

Oracle# 57591

Orange-ish Box "Charging Cable"

And I've seen - it does not do DATA - right now it is connected to my BB 9650 Bold and there is NO DATA. Yesterday it was the PB - NO DATA. So obviously, there is some difference as discussed in other threads. When I followed the pb recharge - it went from 46% to 78% in about an hour/twenty minutes.

US $9.99
    05-26-11 08:37 AM
    There was a post somewhere saying that the RIM UK systems can not currently support warranty claims for the PB here but once its on sale in the UK so you will be fine.

I got a Canadian one but as I am over there frequently the warranty is not so much of an issue for me.
    Yep that was me as when i got my pb a few weeks ago, i rung up RIM UK and spoke to their technical staff who said until their systems are set up for the pb theres not much they can do regarding warranty problems...but he did add that he couldnt see a problem with them supporting a us spec pb or canadian spec pb...mind you i dont see how they could tell the difference tbh.

He did go away for a few mins and checked with someone, someone higher up and came back and said that to me.

Im just waiting till its released here then try my luck with my pb that has a few dead pixels...see what they say.
    05-26-11 09:53 AM
    Can anyone please tell me the planned differences in the PB versions (i.e. connectivity)? Like I said above I have no clue what the WiMax, LTe, etc means.

Thanks
    05-26-11 10:20 AM
    Can anyone please tell me the planned differences in the PB versions (i.e. connectivity)? Like I said above I have no clue what the WiMax, LTe, etc means.

Thanks
    sorry for getting off topic but are you by any chance (BGE)chaotic cannon??
    05-26-11 10:55 AM
    Yeah, thats me. Looking to learn more on the PB!
    05-26-11 12:44 PM
    cool, hop on GOW vent next time you see me playing. i can try and answer some of your questions. Hatax is also a knowledgeable member here tho I have been unable to get him in vent. boo

-St00pid
    05-26-11 03:10 PM
    I have a US playbook that I bough from Amazon that I want to use in the UK, does anyone know how I can get the app store to bring up the prices in � rather than $
    07-01-11 02:02 PM
    Here here.
    I too thought about buying a us one in the uk but was a good boy I was and waited.
    Anyway in front of me I have 2 x seperate sheets with the difference between the US and UK, as I phoned a RIM tecchie a good few weeks ago and he emails me 2 links:
    The ONLY difference I can see on the specs is:

UK: says:
    3G network access usinfg your BlackBerry Smartphone as a modem WI-FI 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

US says:
    Blackberry PlayBook tableyts will offer support for network configurations as follows:
    BlackBerry PlayBook with Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
    BlackBerry 4G PlayBook with wif-fi 802.11 a/b/g/n + WiMax
    BlackBerry 4G PlayBook with Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n + LTE
    BlackBerry 4G PlayBook with Wi-Fi 802.1 a/b/g/n + HSPA+

That's all that is different on the spec sheet that was emailed to me.
    Hope this helps

He did also mention that it would be best to wait for the UK one as it would configure correctly when first time turned on set up in the UK with an official one BUT I cannot see what the big deal is as I know there is people here on the forum, who have done the US one in the UK and had no issues.
    Last edited by magician1; 07-01-11 at 04:00 PM.
    07-01-11 03:57 PM
    wow this thread is derailed and kinda all over the place.
    07-01-11 04:39 PM
    From what I learned, make sure the converter also cover the suitable output as your region does. For now, I still use my BB charger for PB. It charges PB slower than the one the come on the box but I put it back since I don't need lots of charger around my room.
    07-01-11 05:15 PM
    can't speak about warranty but I can confirm that a US PB sets up perfectly and charges on a UK charging cradle without problems. These days almost all devices are auto-ranging regarding voltage, no converters required.

Andy
    07-02-11 05:57 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD