Update server-untitled.png

Whew........that was a close one.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-31-14 03:37 PM
    They turned it off to see if anyone would miss it. If nobody complained they would keep it off permanently. Let's see if the update servers are still running a year from now - I think they will be long gone by then!
    My guess is they would leave it running indefinitely. I can't imagine it uses much resources anyway. If they didn't want to host it themselves it's possible that the last update could be hosted elsewhere and the link be changed on the update in the os to the new host. All they would have to do is allow the PlayBook to update from a source other than BlackBerry which wouldn't take much doing.
    keeping it running is beneficial in the meantime for BlackBerry if security was compromised, they could get an update out on the fly before it threatened their infrastructure.
    Another point worth mentioning, I can still update my 7100 pearl with 4.5 OS if needs be so whether anyone needs an update even if there isn't one doesn't mean they'll knock off the update server.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-31-14 04:50 PM
    They turned it off to see if anyone would miss it. If nobody complained they would keep it off permanently. Let's see if the update servers are still running a year from now - I think they will be long gone by then!
    You are a gloomy gus about BB and I think you are wrong although maybe correct about no more OS system updates. The servers are needed to maintain even the status quo.
    01-31-14 07:45 PM
128 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD